Added Strength Training, Weight Went Up

Options
2»

Replies

• bodyalmostthere
    Options
    Your not going to say "its the water in the muscle" that weighs so much lol your going to say its the dam muscle lmao
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your just gaining muscle its completely normal your muscle weighs alot so its good weight you shouldn't be worried about your weight be worried about your body fat % because u could be burning fat from the weight training and gaining weight from muscle your developing but burning fat and thats a good thing so worry about body fat% and forget about how much u weight

OP is eating at maintenance and could not be gaining muscle ..as she would need a calorie surplus to add new muscle..

more than likely it is just water retention...
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its the water in your muscle doesn't mean u have to say its the water not the muscle lol get your **** straight

LOL Wut!?

Initially muscle tissue expands via water retention , that is what he means by 5 lbs or whatever :) not muscle mass , water retention in the muscle cells
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your not going to say "its the water in the muscle" that weighs so much lol your going to say its the dam muscle lmao

still unclear as to what the hell you are trying to say ...
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Its the water in your muscle doesn't mean u have to say its the water not the muscle lol get your **** straight

LOL Wut!?

Initially muscle tissue expands via water retention , that is what he means by 5 lbs or whatever :) not muscle mass , water retention in the muscle cells

Water or not she did not build significant muscle in 6 weeks at maintenance
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

still unclear as to what the hell you are trying to say ...
    I know, right?! It's like he's equating the intramuscular water retention with hypertrophy. :noway:

If that's why people keep telling people eating on a deficit who just started a new program that they gained muscle when the scale goes up, well, I guess that explains why we're not making any headway explaining to them that you can't do that on a deficit. They also say muscle weighs more than fat, so why am I not surprised...?:huh:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You wound not gain 5lb of muscle in 6 weeks.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat so if your gaining muscle your going to weigh more ok got that? Now weight training also burns fat got that? Soooo you can be loosing fat and gaining muscle but since muscle weighs alot you will gain weight by gaining muscle got that simply put your gaining weight from muscle but burning fat also so only worry about the body fat % because thats all you want to loose anyways dont worry about the scale

Spelling? Punctuation? Content?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat so if your gaining muscle your going to weigh more ok got that? Now weight training also burns fat got that? Soooo you can be loosing fat and gaining muscle but since muscle weighs alot you will gain weight by gaining muscle got that simply put your gaining weight from muscle but burning fat also so only worry about the body fat % because thats all you want to loose anyways dont worry about the scale
    no_michael_bluth.gif
    Your body will not use stored fat to make up the energy needs incurred to build muscle at a deficit caloric intake. That would be the least successful evolutionary adaptation in history, strongly disfavored any time there were food shortages.
  • maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, though clearly some of it was unintentionally hilarious.:laugh: Sounds like I'm probably just holding onto some more water weight these days, which I can totally live with.

I really should have measured myself when I started, so I can see if there's a difference, but I'll just stick with the old waistband test.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My weight went up (6.6 lbs at the most) when I started incorporating strength training and took a few weeks to settle back down. I assume it was water retention for my poor, poor muscles. I kept on keeping on and my weight is now a couple lbs under goal. It was a little unsettling at first, but it all worked out.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about weight - it's normal to add some weight when you start weight training. Remember muscle burns more calories at rest and takes up less space than fat. While you may not see a difference immediately at the scale - long term inches will start coming off. Google pound of fat versus pound pound of muscle and take a look at the pictures.

Thank you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your just gaining muscle its completely normal your muscle weighs alot so its good weight you shouldn't be worried about your weight be worried about your body fat % because u could be burning fat from the weight training and gaining weight from muscle your developing but burning fat and thats a good thing so worry about body fat% and forget about how much u weight

Yah no...

Muscle gains require surplus...even if these are noob gains it wouldn't be that much...

OP it is probably just water don't worry about it and keep going.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    untrained muscles hold less water, when you start lifting muscles become filled with more glycogen (water in muscle) so its not anything out of the ordinary... I was injured and had to take two weeks off from the gym and I lost about 5lbs from NOT working out.. its intracellular water that will make you look better so don't go by the scale go by the mirror especially at first if you are untrained..

What he said.