is my calorie goal too high for my weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've put your stats into Scoobys calculator. ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ )

Your maintenance calories (TDEE) are 2958 if I enter you as sedentary. Therefore if you eat below this figure you will lose weight. You could be eating much more than 1720 and still lose weight.

Do a lot of people get on with this calculation? It has my weight loss amount rather higher then MFP.

I've had some time off MFP as I was fed up with counting cals, I managed to lose 7kg without it, but when I put my new weight into MFP, it recommended 1290 cals. I've found it really difficult to keep within this limit, apart from the days I exercise (5-6 days a week, 60-90 mins, 2 x moderate, 3x strenuous, 1x light). I have a sedentary job though.

I tend to just eat over; if I'm physically hungry, I eat. It's usually just 1 or 2 days a week I haven't got some exercise cals to use up and I'm still losing weight, so it's not a problem. It’d be good to know I’m not going over what I need though.
  • ilessa
    ilessa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've put your stats into Scoobys calculator. ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ )

Your maintenance calories (TDEE) are 2958 if I enter you as sedentary. Therefore if you eat below this figure you will lose weight. You could be eating much more than 1720 and still lose weight.

Do a lot of people get on with this calculation? It has my weight loss amount rather higher then MFP.

I've had some time off MFP as I was fed up with counting cals, I managed to lose 7kg without it, but when I put my new weight into MFP, it recommended 1290 cals. I've found it really difficult to keep within this limit, apart from the days I exercise (5-6 days a week, 60-90 mins, 2 x moderate, 3x strenuous, 1x light). I have a sedentary job though.

I tend to just eat over; if I'm physically hungry, I eat. It's usually just 1 or 2 days a week I haven't got some exercise cals to use up and I'm still losing weight, so it's not a problem. It’d be good to know I’m not going over what I need though.

MFP works on the basis that you will eat back your exercise calories which is why the calorie goal is lower.
    Scoobys calculator is based on TDEE which has your exercise already taken into account (i.e. you DON'T eat back your exercise calories).

Hope that helps explain why there is a difference.
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    One key detail about the scooby calculator is that his exercise calories do not get added to your daily amount. Activity is already included in TDEE. So don't add those walking calories, or 'cleaning, light effort' anymore.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will give it a go.

I make notes sort of 'carrying over' unused cals for the non-exercise days, so perhaps having the same each day will be easier. It is quite a lot higher than MFP allows, but I can always adjust every couple of weeks until it works.

I don't log cleaning or the walk to work as exercise anyway.

I keep reading about TDEE etc and wondering what it all is, thank you.

I've been doing this a while now and got on better when I was really big and had more calories to go at!