Eating on no exercize days

Options
mochamommy
mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
How does one eat on no exercise days. I'm on 1200 calories a day which seems like NOTHING if I don't exercise. So, do you skip meals on no exercise days so you can have a tasty dinner or something?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you really need to be on 1200 calories?
    It looks like you've got about 20LBS that you want to lose. What happens if you tell MFP 1LB a week instead of 2LBS a week?
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    At lunch and dinner I fill up on veg and salad, so I will have a small portion of a meal and lots of salad and veg.

I have upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,400 though because I didn't want to be unhealthy while dieting.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method so I eat the same amount of calories, 1853, no matter what. On days I have huge burns like 1000+ I'll eat a little more.
  • mochamommy
    Options
    What is TDEE.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    What is TDEE.
    Using the TDEE approach is a great suggestion.
    Read this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It really might make the whole thing much more do-able and comfortable. Much more like life and less like "a diet".
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    On TDEE so my exercise cals are already included in my daily goal, I eat the same 1900 cals each day.
    If my exercise is higher than normal (or what I worked my TDEE out on) then I will eat a portion of the calories back.
  • mochamommy
    Options
    For some reason when I put I want to loose 1 pound a week it only gives me 50 more calories a day. Maybe I'm entering data wrong or something. I CAN do 1200 calories a day, but that's being pretty restrictive and I'm wanting to eat my hand by bedtime. With working out and 1350 to 1400 I'm not hungry.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't get by on 1200 - so I have to exercise!! And there is no waaay I could skip a meal - that just leads to binging! on days when I know i won't get a work out in I stick to frozen meals for lunch and dinner - I find it helps me with portion control.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method so I eat the same amount of calories, 1853, no matter what. On days I have huge burns like 1000+ I'll eat a little more.

Me too. Check out this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, so it includes all your activity. Your calorie goal will be averaged over the week to account for everything. I eat 2300/day regardless of whether I work out or not. (I never have 1000+ burns, though - HOLY!! I do resistance training and walking for cardio, so I burn around 300 a day in actual workouts, maybe.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    For some reason when I put I want to loose 1 pound a week it only gives me 50 more calories a day. Maybe I'm entering data wrong or something. I CAN do 1200 calories a day, but that's being pretty restrictive and I'm wanting to eat my hand by bedtime. With working out and 1350 to 1400 I'm not hungry.
    Then I'd definitely try the TDEE method. I'm about twice your age and I'm eating more than you are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If you use TDEE method, you have to manually adjust the calories MFP provides. MFP is usually wrong, or at least crazy low.
    Right, you'd use the TDEE method then manually set MFP's calories and macros.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    No, you rest and refuel, if you have one no exercise day a week eat 2000 calories that day. Then go back to normal on the rest of the days.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you use TDEE method, you have to manually adjust the calories MFP provides. MFP is usually wrong, or at least crazy low.

Yeah, macros are really important, too. MFP has protein and fat set super low for women, for some reason. 1 g per pound of lean body mass (or about 0.8 g per pound of body weight) of protein a day is a good place to start.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I avoid rest days for this very reason. I either cross train or do a very easy workout. Not for everyone, I suppose...
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Yeah, macros are really important, too. MFP has protein and fat set super low for women, for some reason. 1 g per pound of lean body mass (or about 0.8 g per pound of body weight) of protein a day is a good place to start.

The recommendations for protein are actually .8g per KG of body weight, not pounds. Everyone assumes we need to eat crazy amounts of protein and we don't....obviously some people like to eat more and that's fine - not knocking - just clarifying
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

When I'm trying to lose, I never net below 1300. And normally I net higher. It makes for slower weight loss, but it's way easier to do and more sustainable. 1200 leaves me starving and mean.

Net is: how many calories you eat - how many you have burned. Eating 1200 calories and burning 300 calories would leave you at a net of 900, which is pretty low and would leave a lot of people hungry.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have you activity set to sedentary on MFP it will give you fewer calories. Keep in mind few people are actually sedentary.

I also use my TDEE and have lost more that way, I stopped losing at 1200 except my hair.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    There is no no-exercise day.