My little journey through Subway being "fake" food

Options
13»

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'll be avoiding preservative laden meats until the potential link between nitrates and Alzheimer's is debunked.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks for saying this. I too am trying to eliminate chemicals, preservatives, etc from my food, makeup, body products, etc. Although it doesn't control me either however, that being said, I gave away my Subway points card but that doens't mean I'll never eat there again. :smile:

Good luck eliminating chemicals
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the HANDLER of the sandwich, than the ingredients list.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    (though I prefer Jersey Mike's)...

I have to ask. We got a Jersey Mike's here a few months ago and some of my friends (some FROM NJ) were going crazy over it, talking about how wonderful it is. So we finally tried it out and I had no idea it was even possible to make a bad sub, but it was the absolute worst sub I have ever had and I will NEVER go back there. So what is so great about this place? Or do we just have a bad one?

1) Nearly every subway I've been to, they put like 1 scrap of meat on the sandwich and call it a sub. 2) I'm not a huge fan of subs overall... when we go to Jersey Mike's I usually get a grilled chicken wrap. My hubby is a big sub lover and he really likes their subs. Actually... now that I think about it... I think the best sub I ever ate was actually from Jimmy Johns. Their bread is REALLY yummy :)
    I just had veggies and cheese. I mean, seriously impossible to screw up, but but they somehow did. lol

Wegmans (a grocery store chain that unfortunately is not here) has amazing subs. I get either Publix (not the best ever, but good) and Firehouse. Subway stopped carrying Swiss cheese so I stopped going there.

OMG your Subway used to have Swiss cheese?!? I have never seen that at a Subway..NOM NOM NOM...

There is swiss cheese at the subways around my way. :wink:
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating any fast food in high school. As a teen, I worked the circuit of fast food joints. Most of the staff were teens and still are currently, especially nigh shift.

The things they do to the food when you are not around will make your stomach turn. Five second rules, dandruff seasoning, saliva gravy, and don't even ask what I caught a co worker doing in the bathroom with the squirt jug of mayonnaise.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I saw radioactive green on a piece of Subway beef before. Of course, the vendor just smiled gleefully and assured that it was fine. Also, have you ever noticed that Subway bread mysteriously deflates if left for a day.

Not all bad Subway mind you, but not great, and way overpriced (UK).
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love subway. I don't care if they make their oven roasted chicken with the souls of kittens, its delicious.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For my own reasons... I try to eliminate introducing any kind of chemicals into my body...

H2O is a chemical. Fact. You will die without it. Fact.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    For the chic who thinks I'm just talking out my butt, I do have sources for the information I posted so you don't have to be rude about it.

As far as the information on GM foods here are some links for information and its more than quite a bit so happy reading:

The above site will take you to the bottom site for the reports which are separated in sections.

Too bad that has nothing to support your claim " there meat wasn't really meat but mostly corn with a little meat for flavor."
    So, still extracted from the nethers then?
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Until I'm able to purchase Monsanto-free vegetables (and even growing them yourself doesn't guarantee that'll happen), I'm simply not going to worry about it. I'm as much against GMOs as anyone else but I'm also realistic enough to know that it's me against large corporations, and in the meantime.... I have to eat to survive.

I just try to make the best decisions that I can with the information that I have at the time, and leave it at that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ...Mmm So, they choose to ignore the fact that the American Heart Association backs many of these sandwiches

No need to address the rest of the post, but you do realize that they don't actually "back it" out of goodness, but are paid endorsers lending their logo thanks to the powers of PR, Advertising, and cold hard cash?
  • dbmata
    Options
    For my own reasons... I try to eliminate introducing any kind of chemicals into my body... meaning from foods, makeup, hair products, etc. as much as possible. That being said... I do on occasion have subway (though I prefer Jersey Mike's)... etc. But, like I said... that's my personal choice.

You do realize food and drink are comprised of many different types of chemical compounds, right?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    For the chic who thinks I'm just talking out my butt, I do have sources for the information I posted so you don't have to be rude about it.

As far as the information on GM foods here are some links for information and its more than quite a bit so happy reading:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/adoption-of-genetically-engineered-crops-in-the-us.aspx

The above site will take you to the bottom site for the reports which are separated in sections.

http://www.isaaa.org/resources/publications/briefs/default.asp

Subway uses Boar's Head lunch meat...and all the ingredients in the Boar's Head lunch meat are available on their website...furthermore, Boar's Head is on the Feingold food list for food sensitivities, and if your claims were at all true they would not be on that list.

Finally, you say you have "sources" but have yet to post them.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Boar's head? Really?

That stuff is usually so good, but subway's meat is pretty pathetic. Ruh roh...
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

My issue with Subway is the lack of effort when it comes to healthy ingredients. Most of the stuff in Subway’s food doesn’t meet my standards (I am far from a high level athlete), so I find it hard to believe that pro and Olympic level athletes wouldn’t rather have bread baked from fresh dough with a handful of ingredients (instead of 30+) or an unprocessed piece of grilled chicken breast rather than that spongy thing Subway offers. But write me a big endorsement check and maybe it will all make sense!

Genuinely curious - what ingredients in Subway bread would negatively effect athletic performance? Why would they care about the number of ingredients in the bread (outside of taste)?

EDIT: not asking to be a **** either - really curious. Discussions like these often spur me towards doing my own research.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

My issue with Subway is the lack of effort when it comes to healthy ingredients. Most of the stuff in Subway’s food doesn’t meet my standards (I am far from a high level athlete), so I find it hard to believe that pro and Olympic level athletes wouldn’t rather have bread baked from fresh dough with a handful of ingredients (instead of 30+) or an unprocessed piece of grilled chicken breast rather than that spongy thing Subway offers. But write me a big endorsement check and maybe it will all make sense!

Genuinely curious - what ingredients in Subway bread would negatively effect athletic performance? Why would they care about the number of ingredients in the bread (outside of taste)?

EDIT: not asking to be a **** either - really curious. Discussions like these often spur me towards doing my own research.

Usually bread with less ingredients is less processed as opposed to breads with less ingredients such as sprouted bread. Generally whole grain breads are viewed as more nutritious than highly processed white bread. That may be what he is referring to. A lot of high level athletes tend to eat clean and sprouted bread leans more towards clean eating than processed breads that you find at subway. That's just my guess.