Hypothyroid and PCOS

Options
13»

Replies

• kekkalynne
    Options
    I'm so sorry I haven't been on guys. But I'm reading everything individually and I'm definitely going to try the low carb diet! It sounds like a good start for me! Feel free to add me and talk with me! I'm loving talking to everyone and getting new ideas and making friends to help me with this journey and I'd love to help you all as well if I can. (:
  • kekkalynne
    Options
    Hey guys. (:
    My name is Vanessa. I'm 21 and married. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS.
    No matter what I do my weight steadily increases. My husband and I haven't been able to conceive because of my problems.

Anyway, looking for some friends to help with motivation and such. (:

What medication do you take for hypothyroidism?
    What about PCOS? Do you take Metformin?

I take Levothyroxine currently. Just got bumped to 125mcg and still trying to stabilize.
    I don't take anything for PCOS atm. I don't have insurance and am having trouble with doctors visits and such. :/
  • leaner426
    Options
    Low carb on the go - Subway salads! I have hypothroidism and celiac disease so I can't eat gluten. Subway salads are fresh, you build them as you want and they taste great with just a little oil and vinegar.

Weight is lost in the kitchen, so be certain to track what you eat, get enough fiber and keep the fat/sugar lower and you'll lose weight.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS with insulin resistance and I was until I tested okay last year, borderline hypothyroid.

The main issue for many with PCOS is insulin resistance. Do whatever you have to do, regarding your diet and exercise, to help your body with your insulin resistance. I don't think there's a superfood or an easy answer regarding insulin resistance, but it's the sticky wicket.

Often we're stuck in a situation of:
    You can't lose weight because your body makes too much insulin and your cells resist it, so everything is stored as fat, particularly in the belly area. You become more insulin resistant because you're overweight, but insulin resistance increases your weight which raises your resistance and so on. It literally makes itself worse.

You have to make that cycle stop if you have any hope of losing weight. If you're in an upwards cycle (out of control weight gain), reducing carbs to lower the trigger of your major insulin response is a good idea. But it doesn't have to be that way forever. You don't have to eat like atkins or cavemen or dance around linking your carbs forever. Once you lower the insulin overload, build up some lean body mass, and reduce some of your fat, your body will start responding to food a little more normally.

Take your meds, see your doctor regularly, increase your activity (especially if you're sedentary), and don't be discouraged. I know I lose weight slowly and sometimes it goes in reverse, but I know it will balance out and the weight will continue to come off if I eat at a deficit. I opt for high fiber carbs, but for me, at least, there's really no magic food to include or exclude that makes me lose. I just have to eat less than I burn.

Good luck. :)