Low carb - argument!

Options
13»

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Am I really wrong here? Do I have to go down to 20g a day to be defined as 'low carb'?

Physiologically, anything below somewhere around 80-100g/day is "low carb" for relatively inactive individuals.

For highly active people, the "low carb" limit rises to 200g-300g/day (or even higher), depending on intensity and type of activity.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I think I'm unintentionally low-carbing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to cut down on my carbs or going "low carb". I've been eating around 1300 cals a day but it's been going slow.

I've cut out alcohol, potatoes, pasta, grains, bread - all those big sources of carbs and eat a lot of eggs, lean meats, fish and vegetables.

I made the mistake of mentioning this to a friend who's big time 'low-carber'. He then got angry and claimed I "don't eat low carb", most of all because I mentioned I had a banana between meals one day.
    He said that 25 g a day or less was the norm, whereas I'm between 35 and 60 (occasionally higher but never over 100). I thought this was strange, especially if you eat a lot of vegetables, I could easily 25 carbs in vegetables alone. He then said tomatoes don't go with low carb. And also, if I was truly eating low carb I would not have to count my calories at all to lose weight.

After googling I got so many results of diets fitting the term "low carb". But it seems some claim the term for themselves.

Am I really wrong here? Do I have to go down to 20g a day to be defined as 'low carb'?

If what you are doing is working for you don't worry about what others think!!! Personally I could NEVER go low carb. It would be a sad sad world without pasta:cry:
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    carbs don't make you fat! fat makes you fat!

You are so wrong, I cant even begin to tell you. Enjoy your diabetes.

Ill enjoy my bacon, steak, olive oil, eggs, cream cheese and live longer than you.

^^^^ this!!!! is total BS

FIFY
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Neither one makes you fat....stop posting this nonsense.

OP...you're doing just fine. No way I could do that, I'm way too active...but if you're feeling ok and able to do what you do then you're fine. I'm very active and consume around 200 - 250 g per day which some would say is pretty low carb for my activity level...but I can still rock and roll. Much below that and I'm bonking.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

You are so wrong, I cant even begin to tell you. Enjoy your diabetes.

Ill enjoy my bacon, steak, olive oil, eggs, cream cheese and live longer than you.

So if I don't eat low carb then I am going to contract diabetes and die an early death?? Is there some sort of scientific research you have come across to support this theory. I am Type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) and have worked with my Endo dr. and dietician to lose the weight that I have all while eating atleast 40% of my calories from carbs and have A1c averaging at 5.3 and am regulating my diabetes with diet and exercise instead of medications. I have no issues if you want to eat low carb, no carb, etc..... but saying if I don't then I am doomed is a stretch... Best of luck OP, I could never nor would I ever want to go that low with my carb consumption.......

The ketogenic diet has reversed diabetes in some patients.

Insulin is the root of all problems. Cancer, Diabetes, strokes, go search online. Expand your mind. Sugar and carbs are terrible. They should be eaten in moderation.

Your doctor has it all wrong and is caught up in the 1980s carb fad that has turned society's view on nutrition *kitten*-backwards.

Fat does NOT make us fat. Carbs did. Now it will cost health agecies too much money and there will be too much of an uproar in society to be told that fat is OK and sugar is bad.

The Diabetes association is its own enemy. Its how they keep themselves in business.

There are literally thousands of articles appearing up about insulin and the problems it causes. I dont want any part of that. I am the healthiest I have ever been in 26 years. My mother has diabetes and do not want to follow in her footsteps. She ate way too many carbs in her lifetime to cause that.

I eat under 20carbs a day and they only come from vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, peppers, etc - NO starch veggies). I lost 100lbs eating high fat, bacon, mayo, steaks, chicken, pork, fish, omega-3 oils, butter, and when i got my blood tests, my doctors were astounded. I have perfect cholesterol, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Now I am working out at the gym lifting weights and running like a monster and guess where I get my fuel and energy from? Fat.

Open your mind. I am italian, I miss pasta, I miss pizza, but my health is more important. I couldnt care any less about those foods now. And I eat beautifully.

Peace out

I haven't cut out any of the foods I enjoy and I'm healthy and happy. I lost over 50lbs doing this and am now maintaining beautifully. And my blood work panels are pretty much perfect as well, including having normal glucose numbers now, instead of numbers in the pre-diabetic range like they were before. Most of my relatives have/had type 2. Every single one of them is/was overweight/obese.

OP, don't let yourself get tied down with labels. Eat how you want and if someone gets in your face about it then politely tell them to mind their own business (telling them to piss off does have a nice ring to it :laugh: )

Yep! What she said!!!!
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a relative term. I have heard people define it as under 150, under 100, under 50 and under 20 g per day. I personally thing for a normal person, low carb is under 100g per day. Very low carb is what your friend is talking about. That is a ketogenic diet. I personally do best on a ketogenic diet but I lose weight anywhere under 75g per day. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant hence being on such a low number to lose weight.

If you aren't hungry and you are losing weight then go with it. Nothing works for every single person! While what he said is technically true for a ketogenic diet, that doesn't necessarily apply to just a lower carb diet.

This. Right here.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

NO. Consistently consuming more calories than your body needs is what makes you fat.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson, author of the Primal Blueprint, suggests that 50-100g of carbs per day puts you in the effortless weight loss zone. So personally when I'm trying to be "low carb", I shoot for less than 100g.

Everyone has a different definition. Less than 25g though? That's keto.

This
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

strong third post...glad you're so informed :grumble:

I eat under 100g a day, but I call it "low-er" because people get in this argument with me all the time. I read that under 100g is optimal for fat loss. 150g - 250g is maintenance, and anything over that is weight gain. I also did carb cycling, which really helped me figure out HOW to eat without all the potatoes, rice and noodles in my diet. It isn't a sustainable diet, and should never be done long term, but I really enjoyed reading Carb Nite Solution. Since I've gone lower carb, I don't really have to worry about my calories as much. I still track everything, but I focus more on my macros now then my calorie count. Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't worry what your friend says, unless you want to explain to him the difference between low carb and keto. Sounds like he needs an information session. :flowerforyou:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAA
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately I think some people are successful losing a lot of weight and instead of supporting others and being positive, they get high on themselves and act like they're the only ones having a clue.

I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight (20 lbs tops) and I don't want an 'extreme' diet, just cutting back calories the most efficient way which suits my diet. Most of the vegetables I eat have some carbs, so I don't see it as that much healthier for me to go keto to be honest...it's not like I'm getting my carbs from doughnuts.