Junk food is HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE I tell you..

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ...I wonder if I could get fresh okra out here. It's been a while.

Used to grow wild in my backyard growing up.

Well some of us live on the 8th floor of a 34 story high rise on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and pay $9 for a carton of strawberries, during strawberry season, OKAY!?!

Wait. What was I talking about?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Well some of us live on the 8th floor of a 34 story high rise on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and pay $9 for a carton of strawberries, during strawberry season, OKAY!?!

Bitterness. You were talking about bitterness.
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Oh well. Pineapple is cheap at least.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

#HPP

(* Hawaii People Problems)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Oh well. Pineapple is cheap at least.

:laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Are you in Hawaii? I think I used to live on the 32nd floor of your building. (No, seriously...)
  • Achrya
    Options

Are you in Hawaii? I think I used to live on the 32nd floor of your building. (No, seriously...)

Haha. Yes I do. Hawaii people problems indeed; the struggle is real. Only people who lived out here know the pain.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've never been one for Oreo's but my daughter brought some into the house and I developed an addiction to them. At first it was fine as I only allowed myself two if I had any. Then it got to be 4-6 depending on how many calories I had left in my daily allowance. As long as I had room for them I saw no issues. Until recently when I started finding myself grabbing one everytime I walked through the kitchen so I had to stop buying them.

I did however find Doles Dark Chocolate Dipped Bananas (Package of 4 slices = 100 calories) and have found that they satisfy my sweet tooth ;)

But I still allow myself to eat whatever I desire so long as it fits in my goals!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My favorite junk food (and yeah, I use that label all the time) is chips and dip. Potato chips or Fritos and french onion dip are my very favorite, but queso and tortilla chips is pretty close.

I haven't given them up, but eat them rarely. They are treats, not dietary staples.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Let's just call this my.... cheat day! Fat day! Lazy day! Pig day! Lol
    Were you able to LET IT GO? What's your healthy alternatives?

No, it's just a day you ate food.

Connecting food with morality or your sense of self worth can only lead to trouble. It sets up a constant tension within you which will erode your self esteem and which you will eventually cause you to crack. You know why? Because you are human.

Assigning foods as "bad" or "off limits" tends to give it an artificial value above that which it is actually worth. This happens with a lot of things - scarcity increases desire. Sellers exploit this in a business scenario for example by calling something a "limited edition" and hence charge a higher price.

The way around this is to give yourself absolute permission to eat the foods you like - incorporate them into your eating plan. What this does is to alleviate feelings of deprivation and actually allow you to make a true choice. It may transpire that you don't like them as much as you think you actually do as the feelings of restriction where making them seem more pleasurable than they actually are in reality.

I do not have healthy alternatives. If I want to eat cake or chocolate or whatever that's what I will do. I find if I say to myself "I'll eat an apple instead of that chocolate cake that I really, really want" I tend to eat the apple AND the cake AND a bigger slice of the cake then if I had just let myself ate the damn thing in the first place. Which is kind of pointless...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Haha. Yes I do. Hawaii people problems indeed; the struggle is real. Only people who lived out here know the pain.

Pardon me while I shed a few tears for people who live in Hawaii.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Let's just call this my.... cheat day! Fat day! Lazy day! Pig day! Lol
    Were you able to LET IT GO? What's your healthy alternatives?

No, it's just a day you ate food.

Connecting food with morality or your sense of self worth can only lead to trouble. It sets up a constant tension within you which will erode your self esteem and which you will eventually cause you to crack. You know why? Because you are human.

Assigning foods as "bad" or "off limits" tends to give it an artificial value above that which it is actually worth. This happens with a lot of things - scarcity increases desire. Sellers exploit this in a business scenario for example by calling something a "limited edition" and hence charge a higher price.

The way around this is to give yourself absolute permission to eat the foods you like - incorporate them into your eating plan. What this does is to alleviate feelings of deprivation and actually allow you to make a true choice. It may transpire that you don't like them as much as you think you actually do as the feelings of restriction where making them seem more pleasurable than they actually are in reality.

I do not have healthy alternatives. If I want to eat cake or chocolate or whatever that's what I will do. I find if I say to myself "I'll eat an apple instead of that chocolate cake that I really, really want" I tend to eat the apple AND the cake AND a bigger slice of the cake then if I had just let myself ate the damn thing in the first place. Which is kind of pointless...

+1

This is what I was trying to say, but you said it a lot better than I did :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Pizza.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Water. I gave it up when I was 16 and found out it was making me fat with all the secret calories it contains (that and I had already given up pretty much any other foods by that point). Then I was sent to a psychiatric institution for my 'eating disorder'.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The only kind of food I'd label junk is cauliflower.

And green beans.

May I add okra?

We are no longer friends.

Explain how to make palatable so that we may remain so?! Would dipping chocolate be plausible?

You gotta soak it in buttermilk, dredge it in spiced flour and/or cornmeal, and fry that {redacted} a nice cool but spicy dipping sauce on the side (I like spicy mayo) and you are good to go.

Edit: I see a few other people beat me to it.

Can I just have the deep fried buttermilk?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I ate WONDERFUL food today!

I had some:
    Homemade_Holiday_Cranberry_Almond_Bark_blog.jpg

and some:
    l.jpg

oh, and some:
    Red-Velvet-Cookies-6.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't have... but I was under in my calories, I have met my goals all week, and I have the room to spare... so hey! I'm going for it! lol
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    The only kind of food I'd label junk is cauliflower.

And green beans.

May I add okra?

Yes, yes you may. Though I am partial to green beans. Especially fried and dipped in ranch.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I had some:

For the love of all that is decent and holy.....I must have this.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I had some:

For the love of all that is decent and holy.....I must have this.

This is a pic of chocolate almond cranberry bark
  • klm80
    klm80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    anything baked and sweet.