Who Eats Theyre Exercise Calories?

Options
Should you or shouldn't you?

Who eats they're exercise calories and what are your weight loss results?

Thanks x

Replies

• sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i dont eat it all back but maybe 50% of it, unless i am super hungry . i just try to listen to my body and eat them if i need it :) i lost 70 ish pounds and am currently trying to lose the last 5 lbs
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Me, at least 50 usually a day. MFP has me set at 1200, and I'm just too hungry, bordering on shaky and weak if I dont.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat them back, simply because I'm not hungry, I have plenty of energy to work out, and I'm getting where I want to be. However, I do have them as a cushion when we eat out so I can enjoy myself without feeling guilty.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you're using My Fitness Pal correctly, you should be eating them back.
  • cscudder88
    Options
    I am brand new to this (just started with this app and a new workout and eating plan) but I have decided to try and eat all meals under my given calories and my night time snack can dip into my workout calories. I have found that taking non-fat vanilla greek yogurt, placing it in the freezer for a bit and topping with a frozen berry medley along with a few almond slices and two little squares of dark chocolate is the perfect way to end my day. I get the sweet and chocolate I am craving with the protein of greek yogurt and almonds post-workout.

Hope that helps a bit!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    OP, it appears you are relatively new so I'm going to make an honest suggestion. Above any forum board, there is a line that says "Home, Recent Posts, My Topics, Settings, Search." If you hit search and enter "exercise calories, you will see a plethora of threads addressing this. Hope this helps.
  • ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am eating them. The way this system is set you should be!
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    I am brand new to this (just started with this app and a new workout and eating plan) but I have decided to try and eat all meals under my given calories and my night time snack can dip into my workout calories. I have found that taking non-fat vanilla greek yogurt, placing it in the freezer for a bit and topping with a frozen berry medley along with a few almond slices and two little squares of dark chocolate is the perfect way to end my day. I get the sweet and chocolate I am craving with the protein of greek yogurt and almonds post-workout.

Hope that helps a bit!

Brand new with a new workout and eating plan but gives advice anyway.....hmmm....seems legit.
  • TheMrsCole
    TheMrsCole Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ^^^ wishing I could "like" this post lol

I listen to my body on whether to eat some back or not. If I burn more than 700 calories working out my body will need more fuel either that day or the next. Currently I am down 45 lbs, however I have not always been accurate on counting my calories. If you need to eat more your body will let you know.
  • Biteofthecherry
    Biteofthecherry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nope Im not new joined January 2012 Im sorry I thought I could ask this question
    Sadly it seems on here there are people who like to correct what you do I think I wont bother asking anything so that way I dont get moaned at

:noway:
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    I eat some of mine back most of the time. If I'm really hungry or if I'm socializing I usually will eat all my exercise calories. I've tried both ways though, and I actually found that when I eat at least part of my exercise calories back, my body's metabolism kicks into overdrive and I lose more weight than when I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you're using My Fitness Pal correctly, you should be eating them back.

+1
  • Biteofthecherry
    Biteofthecherry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1patientbear are you really always this grouchy or just having a off day ?
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

How was that grouchy?? I just gave you an honest suggestion as to where to find multiple answers to your question.
  • unclelousays
    Options
    It depends on two main things: what does your exercising consist of and where do your calories come from? Many times people make the mistake of thinking the best thing to do to lose weight is get on a treadmill or eliptical and just go for hours, in reality the best thing to do is include strength training. When you gain more lean muscle your rest metabolic rate goes up so you burn more calories all the time! Cardio definitely is still important but don't leave out strength training, and if you do you want to make sure that you consume enough protein (typically 0.5-1 gram per lb of body weight). A banana before and protein shake after will probably just about equal what you burn but the long term benefits will help you reach your goals.

*Remember you need to have the rest of your diet set, better bodies are mostly built in the kitchen :smile: . Also for your reference I started getting serious about improving my health about 8 weeks ago and have gone down over 2 pant sizes (men's) and lost 12+ lbs.
  • abickford82
    Options
    I've been at this weight loss thing for a few years, and experimented on and off with it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I eat till I'm satisfied. Seems to work better since HRM's aren't 100% accurate.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As for exercise calories. You're supposed to eat them. If you weren't supposed to eat them, they wouldn't be added into your goal.
  • Ironhead3td
    Ironhead3td Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didn't until I started hitting a limit of under 1500 calories. When I started I was afforded 2500 calories and I had no need too.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

How was that grouchy?? I just gave you an honest suggestion as to where to find multiple answers to your question.

To be fair, you weren't *just* giving an honest suggestion. You were also being snarky to the other poster in a subsequent reply. That combined with the advice you did give leaves a certain impression. I happen to enjoy a bit of snark, so it didn't bother me, but I wouldn't say your intentions read as completely helpful either.

Personally, I'd like to see that Search option be much more prominent.
  • iampurebeautie
    iampurebeautie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i'm really glad I read this post for 2 reasons:

#1: I noticed some people were so focused on correcting her grammar and being a smart *kitten* to other posters no one is really focusing on the questioned being asked!!!! :ohwell: ...

#2: i was JUST wondering the same dam thing! I'm not new to MFP but I've always wondered in the back of my mind, should i eat this up or let them be?????????...SO i just go with the flow and it really depends on how my day is planned out... im not big on exercise AT ALL!!! i've been able to lose weight and tone the most areas i want over the past 3 years with just working out 3 days a week between 30 - 60 mins each work out, SO, i usually exercise on the days I KNOW FOR A FACT i'm going to be out with friends, having some drinks and/or eating out. Also, on these days i eat the very minmum calories to begin with such as sticking to under 200 calories for Breakfast and Lunch.

Now, everyone is different, this is something that works for me regarding when to decide to eat or not eat up my exercise calories... of course i dont just work out on the days im going out ...but Thats usually when i do MOST of my cardio and things like that.... hope this helps