Who Eats Theyre Exercise Calories?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, since my exercise calories are figured in to my TDEE.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them.

But make sure you do a sanity check on your calories, If you think you're burning more calories in an hour of Zumba than 2 hours of running, you're not. Calories burned can be roughly equated to Level of Effort- if something feels like a medium level-of-effort it isn't burning 900 cals/hr.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I always ate mine (back when I actually did any exercise) and lost weight just fine. MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories, you may be eating to little if you don't eat them back.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I do because I earned those babies! Most of the time, anyway. I'll keep at it until I don't lose weight.

There are a lot of self-named experts here who were successful at losing weight and will tell you their formula and many will deliver their advice very harshly. Or they're rude. Just remember that they were beginners once too, that losing weight doesn't fix a nasty personality, and that they do not own the MFP boards. There really are a lot of truly great people here who are in all different stages of their health journey.

Use MFP the way it was intended for a while. Get your bearings, and then start to analyze and pay attention to how your body is responding. Adjust as needed.
  • dmota0425
    dmota0425 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nope Im not new joined January 2012 Im sorry I thought I could ask this question
    Sadly it seems on here there are people who like to correct what you do I think I wont bother asking anything so that way I dont get moaned at

:noway:

I agree. Some people are just so rude, why cant they just answer the question if not keep it moving.. aghhhh.... I barely ask for advise because of this same issue. Its sad because we are all adults.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    1patientbear are you really always this grouchy or just having a off day ?

How was that grouchy?? I just gave you an honest suggestion as to where to find multiple answers to your question.

To be fair, you weren't *just* giving an honest suggestion. You were also being snarky to the other poster in a subsequent reply. That combined with the advice you did give leaves a certain impression. I happen to enjoy a bit of snark, so it didn't bother me, but I wouldn't say your intentions read as completely helpful either.

Personally, I'd like to see that Search option be much more prominent.

Well, I was actually giving the OP an honest suggestion and my intentions were completely helpful there. The snark for the other one...well, I enjoy a bit of snark myself. And snarky does not equal incorrect.

I'm glad your intentions were helpful. Obviously, your intentions didn't come across in the communication or it wouldn't be a subject for discussion. Frequently this kind of conversation boils down to two different schools of thought: One is that the intentions of the sender are mostly irrelevant, and that the interpretation of the receiver is primary. The other school of thought is basically the opposite seems to be something along the lines of, "people should just stop being offended by what other people do."

The two aren't exactly compatible.

And you're right. Snarky doesn't make someone incorrect. Thankfully, I'm not sure anyone accused you of being incorrect. I think perhaps the underlying theme in any critique of your response is that being correct isn't always the most important part of the message.

EDIT: Again, I absolutely agree that people should just Search before posting. I actually find it fairly annoying when they don't. I usually find "innocent requests for suggestions" when the poster clearly haven't tried to find the answer themselves to be a little rude, in much the same way that people are calling out for being rude. I suppose it all balances out.

Fair points Evan. I'm a bit blunt in real life and act the same way on here, so people who don't appreciate bluntness can easily mistake me for being rude. In my opinion, the message is equally or more so important than the delivery, but not everyone feels that way. Thanks for responding reasonably and having a good discussion.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nope Im not new joined January 2012 Im sorry I thought I could ask this question
    Sadly it seems on here there are people who like to correct what you do I think I wont bother asking anything so that way I dont get moaned at

This is one of the things I hate about message boards, the rudeness.
    That being off my chest...I am having a hard time consuming the extra calories as I increase my activity level. I was very sedentary for the past 2 years. When I eat healthy and write down everything that I consume, I don't find it that difficult to stay within 1200 calories.
  • CarminaRose
    CarminaRose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Each person is different, so some members eat them all back, some only some, some none. For me, I found if I didn't eat any back, then I didn't lose any weight (it was too low on calories for me). If I ate them ALL back, then I gained (too much). But I found if I only ate back my cardio, not weights or martial art workouts, then I lost. So I enter my cardio calories whenever I do them, but everything else I log at the end of the day, so it doesn't get figured into my daily cals. So try it whatever way you want, then adjust from there. But give it at least a week or two to see how each method works for you.

This is a lovely simple all round response that simply suggests different ways to work around the problem of "do I eat back or not".

I believe that what it comes down to is what works for you the individual and experimentation to find what works best for you. Personally I decide whether or not I eat back based on whether or not I am hungry (if I'm not sure then I have a glass of water and wait half an hour to see whether I'm actually thirsty first rather than hungry! For me sometimes the signals get messed up.) They are also useful if you are going out as it gives a little extra leeway.

The other thing I do is to look at my week as a whole and not as individual days, so I try and balance my overall eating/exercising as a average over the week rather than "punishing" myself if I have a day where it all goes wrong. If you have a bad day pick yourself up and calculate how much you over-consumed and then try and make up for that by undertaking a little more exercise to try and bring it back to a decent overall weekly average! I personally don't just eat less as I know that my body goes straight into starvation mode and the weight-loss then just completely stops for a week or two.

I hope all that makes sense. Also please don't assume that I am new to this. Although my profile shows that I may have only been on here for a couple of weeks, I have been here before over the last 4 years under different profiles.

Have a good rest of your day everyone!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding all this "rudeness"....am I reading the same thread?
  • Hornsby
    Options

This is one of the things I hate about message boards, the rudeness.
    That being off my chest...I am having a hard time consuming the extra calories as I increase my activity level. I was very sedentary for the past 2 years. When I eat healthy and write down everything that I consume, I don't find it that difficult to stay within 1200 calories.

Being able to stay within 1200 doesn't make it the "best" thing to do. Eat some peanut butter.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    1patientbear are you really always this grouchy or just having a off day ?

How was that grouchy?? I just gave you an honest suggestion as to where to find multiple answers to your question.

You are RUDE. This is supposed to be a place for encouragement- not for belittling and sarcasm.

No, this isn't a place for encouragement. That is plain retarded. This is a place for discussion. You may simply be seeking encouragement, but that doesn't mean you are going to get it. And when engaging in discussion here, there are several things to remember:

1) Just because someone isn't crapping rainbows in your face does not mean that what they are saying is incorrect.

2) Just because someone is being nice and telling you what you want to hear does not mean that the person isn't an idiot, or that what they are saying isn't wrong.

3) You are going to need some thicker skin. You should prolly go ahead and start growing some.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Being able to stay within 1200 doesn't make it the "best" thing to do. Eat some peanut butter.

No, it doesn't. However, MFP is the first program I have done without a "gimmick" so I am finding my way. Unfortunately, I am not new to weight loss, so I do know what will work for me. What works for one doesn't always work for everybody. I am not going to gorge and make myself uncomfortable if I don't want to eat.
    I am completely changing the way I eat without counting points or eating packaged food. I am relearning all the nutrition rules I already knew, but ignored.

Many people are deadly allergic to peanut butter, fortunately I am not.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    The girl gets flack for posting a question that already exists on forums, yet we have multitudes of idiot posts like "would you date the poster above you?" and "Drop a letter, add a letter!" and "Like, is my boyfriend cheating on me or whatever? What do you think?"

come on.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.
  • Hornsby
    Options

No, it doesn't. However, MFP is the first program I have done without a "gimmick" so I am finding my way. Unfortunately, I am not new to weight loss, so I do know what will work for me. What works for one doesn't always work for everybody. I am not going to gorge and make myself uncomfortable if I don't want to eat.
    I am completely changing the way I eat without counting points or eating packaged food. I am relearning all the nutrition rules I already knew, but ignored.

Many people are deadly allergic to peanut butter, fortunately I am not.

You say that MFP is the first plan that you have used that doesn't use a gimmick, however, eating only 1200 (below your BMR) calories and not eating your exercise back, is not the way MFP is designed. You can't praise the system and then not follow it at the same time.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The girl gets flack for posting a question that already exists on forums, yet we have multitudes of idiot posts like "would you date the poster above you?" and "Drop a letter, add a letter!" and "Like, is my boyfriend cheating on me or whatever? What do you think?"

come on.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...those threads generate many of the same responses, if not more.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

come on.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...those threads generate many of the same responses, if not more.

And, it's not that there are that many.....they just keep rolling...

Like exercise calorie, 1200 calorie, how do I spot reduce threads should.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    maybe Theyre is a specific kind of exercise calorie....anyone take the time to think of that before getting all butthurt about it?? \m/
    Drama-is-bad-mmkay-mr-mackey-25108921-310-310.gif \m/
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    When I was in weight loss mode, I was exercising most days and eating at a deficit. Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm still exercising every day and eating it all back.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I think its completely rude to call someone out on their spelling habits then expect them to blindly take your advice.

There are SO MANY smart and knowledgeable people on this website that have serious wisdom on weight loss.... but when you come out with instant snarkiness that belittles a person and makes them feel dumb it makes that person want to turn off to what you're saying.

"Well, sorry I'm not farting rainbows and bubbles."

A simple response without belittling a person will do just fine, thanks.

"People don't want to listen, they just want to hear what they want to do... sorry if I speak truth."

Course, they don't want to listen. You're being a jerk, they are hoping you are wrong.

And if their first response is "But I read"... don't act like they are dismissing truth... they are normally just sorting through the lies to find the truth and sorry that your words weren't nuggets of gold.

"There's a search button"
    So? Every subject has already been covered. We might as well shut the boards down now if we can't discuss repeated topics.
    /endrant

OP. I eat back my calories and have the best results.

Edited: because i realized I didn't answer the question ;P