Build Strength Prior to Beginning to Lift Weights?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've told you several times to fire her. This isn't the first time you've complained about her. It's obviously not a good fit.

Can't. Pre-paid "training package."

other trainers at your gym?

switch trainers.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Your trainer sounds like an idiot.

If you aren't strong enough to lift the bar- you can still train with a smaller bar- or a PVC pipe.

There is absolutely unquestionably almost no reason outside physical medical limitations for someone to NOT learn to do proper compound lift barbell work.

Fire her immediately.

Well, I think it may be motivated more by money, honestly. (More training sessions = more money). That's why I'm asking if there's validity to these claims. I also considered that she might have a point in practicing form on low weights first, so I don't hurt myself.

You hit the nail on the head most probably. Your form is important, but you can hurt yourself with bad form and kettlebells too, and you can do just as low weight with a barbell or dumbbells. If she isn't wanting to do what you want her to, maybe you should get a new trainer. You also can start with machines first. There is really no good reason to "build strength before you build strength" unless you are too weak to lift the lowest weights, you are lifting kettlebells now so that does not seem valid...

Lol, yeah..."building strength before I build strength" sounded silly to me, as well.
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've told you several times to fire her. This isn't the first time you've complained about her. It's obviously not a good fit.

You can tell her to change your routine. Go to the gym management if she doesn't...remember, while you are at the gym with her, she is being paid (by you) to help you reach the goals you want to reach.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I tend to agree with some of what others have written here, but until we know what your goals are, then we're all just sort of shooting in the dark.

Secondly, does she have a kettlebell trainer's certification? Does she have a bias towards kettlebells?

Goal: lose 10% BF and eventually gain muscle.

No. She really likes lifting, I thought. That's why SHE was the one recommended to me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You asked for something specific. She gave you something else. She's a terrible trainer, in that regard. Knowing you wanted specifically barbell training, she should have at least tested you out with a barbell. If things were really bad, then she'd be right to have you start with something else. But she really needed to work with you out of the gate on barbells.

What am I paying her for? I'm not. It was a pre-paid package of 5 sessions,

Um, that means that yes, you are paying her. Or you already did, more specifically.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Hmm - my first trainer was reluctant to go anywhere near the weights room despite me informing her that's what I wanted to do. I found one that did and we have been working happily together now for more than 2 years. Time to move on.

That's the plan. If I decide to hire another trainer, it won't be a commercial chain trainer. It will be one who specializes in competition training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with some of what others have written here, but until we know what your goals are, then we're all just sort of shooting in the dark.

Secondly, does she have a kettlebell trainer's certification? Does she have a bias towards kettlebells?

No. She really likes lifting, I thought. That's why SHE was the one recommended to me.

but lifting kettlebells is NOT barbell training
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If she is good she will make sure you have great form and walk you thru it. She is trying to get money out of you. Hell I can give you internet routines that do what she wants you to start with. I would tell her that. Call her on her bluff.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Well, I think it may be motivated more by money, honestly. (More training sessions = more money). That's why I'm asking if there's validity to these claims. I also considered that she might have a point in practicing form on low weights first, so I don't hurt myself.

I was a trainer (technically still am)

I taught barbell training. if your client likes you- they will keep coming back for a variety of other reasons- but so what- they go out and get strong with out you? someone else will be along to fill their gap.

9/10 clients come back because they LIKE working with YOU- not because they aren't smart enough to go do it on their own (OR- big OR- they are admittedly lacking in self motivation- and won't do it without you)

Right. I liked her training manager, and, honestly, she is nice and has helped me, BUT I don't feel like either of them are willing to do what I initially asked them. Too little, too late, now.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Dirty little secret in those commercial gyms is that they don't have the freedom to give you any kind of program. Their bosses have a list of programs to give and that's it. Your trainer might legitimately be sold on the idea that you can't lift a barbell until you can swing a kettle-bell *cough cough BULL**** cough cough* but more likely you're just getting a story to justify why you can only be shown this instead.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

You can tell her to change your routine. Go to the gym management if she doesn't...remember, while you are at the gym with her, she is being paid (by you) to help you reach the goals you want to reach.

Yep. I've been extremely vocal about what I want, and they have remained extremely resistant to starting me on a barbell, yet. I can use ANY of their trainers for my sessions, so I might just check the other location.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    You asked for something specific. She gave you something else. She's a terrible trainer, in that regard. Knowing you wanted specifically barbell training, she should have at least tested you out with a barbell. If things were really bad, then she'd be right to have you start with something else. But she really needed to work with you out of the gate on barbells.

What am I paying her for? I'm not. It was a pre-paid package of 5 sessions,

Um, that means that yes, you are paying her. Or you already did, more specifically.

Leverage is easier when the money is still in my pocket, though.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

but lifting kettlebells is NOT barbell training

Yep. Dually noted.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    If she is good she will make sure you have great form and walk you thru it. She is trying to get money out of you. Hell I can give you internet routines that do what she wants you to start with. I would tell her that. Call her on her bluff.

Yep. That's kind of what I figured, as well.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Dirty little secret in those commercial gyms is that they don't have the freedom to give you any kind of program. Their bosses have a list of programs to give and that's it. Your trainer might legitimately be sold on the idea that you can't lift a barbell until you can swing a kettle-bell *cough cough BULL**** cough cough* but more likely you're just getting a story to justify why you can only be shown this instead.

Now, that makes absolute sense to me, which is why I'm irritated with myself for trusting a commercial gym for training. I understand sales tactics and SOP's. I'm sure turnover is pretty high and that they don't trust the "trainers" to create their own plans.

I haven't spent THAT much money, anyway. It's less than a private trainer fee; which is appropriate, because I'm getting less. haha!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The only caveat I'd ask you to consider, did the trainer evaluate your muscle imbalances? There are people that I would never get under a bar until we had addressed some imbalances.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The only caveat I'd ask you to consider, did the trainer evaluate your muscle imbalances? There are people that I would never get under a bar until we had addressed some imbalances.

Very true. If your trainer sees you have legit problems to get you ready for those lifts, you have a great trainer.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Not that she made me aware of, but I do know that I'm very right side dominant. The bar definitely shifts on me, when it gets heavy, when I do squats or bench presses.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Very true. If your trainer sees you have legit problems to get you ready for those lifts, you have a great trainer.

I wouldn't go that far. Lol! But, yeah, I can see/did see where my imbalances were going to cause problems really soon, weight progressing as it was.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Not that she made me aware of, but I do know that I'm very right side dominant. The bar definitely shifts on me, when it gets heavy, when I do squats or bench presses.
    So I would think she'd be having you drop weight until you get the form right. I can certainly see doing bodyweight/box squats to set you up for the correct movement pattern before you start your work sets, but other than that, if you can squat, you probably should. I have been having problems with squats for a few years now and I have been doing some alternate work (DB lunges, DB goblet squats, etc.) and am just getting back into barbell squats. But I ain't had nobody tell me I couldn't pull that bar off the floor, which is a good thing, because if you tell me I can't deadlift, I will cut you! :laugh:

Kettlebell is just weird though. Especially when one of your stated, specific goals is "learning the lifts". :noway: