Options

Replies

• alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Women's multivitamin
    Super B complex
    Calcium + Vitamin D (no dairy for me)
    Align Probiotics (inflammatory bowel disease)
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    daily multi-vitamin ... a prescription potassium... a B12 and an Iron pill.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Take one of your vitamins and put it in a glass of water....does it dissolve? Most don't unless their capsules so I wonder if they really dissolve in your stomach, how long it takes and if your body really reaps the benefits? I am of the mind set that vitamins should come from our food.

Just sayin.... :indifferent:

It's vinegar that you're supposed to dissolve a vitamin in. Water is not acidic and does not mimic stomach acid.

According to the USP, at least 75 percent of the vitamin should dissolve within one hour in order for it to be considered an effective product.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I just take a mutivitamin (the delicious chewy kind) because I feel like I'm supposed to and a couple Tums as a calcium supplement because my doc told me to...
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    (Target Brand) Multi-vitamin (gummy)
    Nature Made Adult gummies - Vitamin C
    (Target Brand) Fiber Gummy Supplement
    Schiff Digestive Advantage - Probiotic gummies
    Nature Made Calcium 600mg + Vitamin D 400 IU (twice a day)

I take the gummies 1x daily and the Calcium 2x...I know the gummies are a lot of "extra calories", about 100 to be exact. But it is my "treat" for the day and I count them in my calories. I tried a bottle of the gummy calcium, but didn't like the taste so switched to soft capsules.

I don't take C in the summer, but I swear by it in the winter...I've spent months with everone sneezing at me, coughing, and getting the flu...I've been healthy (knock on wood)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I just take a One a Day and always have.
  • whoaitsmegan
    whoaitsmegan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    none, i eat food to get the nutrients i need

Really? Because I just sustain myself on vitamins.

HA!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    B-12
    Accelerator
    Vitamin C
    Fish oil w/ Omega 3
    Night time supplement/sleep aid
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I only take 5,000 iu of Vitamin D, but it's what my doctor told me to take.

Once in a while when I'm having insomnia problems I will take Magnesium for a few days and for whatever reason it does help.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A womens multi
    B complex
    Probiotics
    Zinc
    Vit C
    Fish oil
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I take a few. I figure it can't hurt and I've read that some of these help with carpal tunnel so I'm all for that! B-12, CLA , MSM, a multi, Vitamin D, Biotin, Glucosamine/Chondrotine, and vitamin C. I buy those at Trader Joe's. I find their prices to be very good and a couple of those are chewable so I don't mind the taste. I also take L-Carnintine and I keep Zinc on hand for when I feel a cold coming on which with all these vitamins is rarely.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I take some when I remember. I seem to have more energy when I take the vitamins regularily.

Vitamins: Prenatal, Vitamin D and B Complex
    Supplements: L-Lysine, St. John's Wort and 5-HTP
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Vit D - especially during the winter….even though I'm in a sunny city in Canada we still don't get enough
    Calcium + D + Magnesium - I don't drink a lot of milk and need the other vits to help the calcium absorb
    Vit C - because I'm prone to yeast infections
    B complex - because I like to drink :drinker:
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    NONe big waste of $$$$$. Eat a proper diet and you don't need them. That is from my MD.

I disagree….
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Take one of your vitamins and put it in a glass of water....does it dissolve? Most don't unless their capsules so I wonder if they really dissolve in your stomach, how long it takes and if your body really reaps the benefits? I am of the mind set that vitamins should come from our food.

It's vinegar that you're supposed to dissolve a vitamin in. Water is not acidic and does not mimic stomach acid.

According to the USP, at least 75 percent of the vitamin should dissolve within one hour in order for it to be considered an effective product.

Again, wrong.

Vitamins that dissolve do so because they are water soluble meaning that they dissolve immediately and are absorbed by the body. Those that don't are fat soluble meaning they are stored in the body and are dissolved in fat. Also, the fat soluble ones need to be taken with food.
  • 9bars
    9bars Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    B complex
    Vitamin C
    Flaxseed capsule
    D3
    Coq10
    Garlic
    Magnesium taurate
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Again, wrong.

Vitamins that dissolve do so because they are water soluble meaning that they dissolve immediately and are absorbed by the body. Those that don't are fat soluble meaning they are stored in the body and are dissolved in fat. Also, the fat soluble ones need to be taken with food.

I stand corrected but still won't be adding them to my shopping list :smile:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I only take 5,000 iu of Vitamin D, but it's what my doctor told me to take.

Once in a while when I'm having insomnia problems I will take Magnesium for a few days and for whatever reason it does help.

I'll have to try this. About every 5 months or so I have a cycle of 5-6 days of insomnia. I get about 3 hours of crappy sleep if I'm lucky.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Multi-Vitamin
    Calcium + D3
    D3 (because I live in the Inland Dark West)
    Flax Seed Oil (this helps with inflammation due to my RA)
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I noticed I wasn't hitting RDA on some micros so I take a generic women's multivitamin. I haven't been tested, but I suspect I'm probably Vit D deficient, too. Don't want to supplement until I know, though.