What vitamins do you take?

Options

Replies

• bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the following

5000UI Vit D (mine gets very low - even when I am in the sun)
    Magnesium (relieves the Restless Leg)
    Zinc ( because I had an excess of Copper in my system) - This stops soon as I have stopped drinking unfiltered tap water and my copper levels are now balancing

And a Monthly Vit B12 shot - because B12 is used in the regeneration of Myelin

Allie
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, calcium supplement, probiotic, vit D, monthly B-12 shots and liquid iron....roughly 6x the reccomended daily amount, doctor ordered, in hopes that some of it will absorb. It tastes disgusting.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I take a liquid multivitamin, a calcium with vitamin d supplement that my doctor gave me, and two homemade turmeric supplements.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I take:
    D3
    Evening Primorose Oil (Helps with my PMS cramps and I live with well water and this keeps my hair soft)
    Flaxseed Oil (for my hair)
    I should take iron but I'm out of it.
  • silvervoyager
    silvervoyager Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D tablet, vitamin B complex, probiotics and different protein powders.
  • barrybuechner
    barrybuechner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Double X (multi-vitamin, multi-mineral, phytonutrient)
    Vitamin D
    B-12
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

In the first article the studies don't state how much of the vitamins they received and for how long. Actually sounds like the study they did on vitamin E where they had a group of people take the vitamin and a group of people take a placebo. The thing is that the people in the study weren't required to write down when they took it, how much they took it and how they felt etc. The study went on for 10 years or something like that and when it was over they were supposed to remember details such as how much they took daily, when they took it etc. The study thus concluded that vitamin E has zero health benefits based on this one flawed study. I'd like to see the footnotes and the specifics of the actual studies that were done in the article. Most of it was about the life and times of one guy.

Sounds like fear mongering to me. And for what it's worth because people are living longer ALL men will get prostate cancer.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Take one of your vitamins and put it in a glass of water....does it dissolve? Most don't unless their capsules so I wonder if they really dissolve in your stomach, how long it takes and if your body really reaps the benefits? I am of the mind set that vitamins should come from our food.

Just sayin.... :indifferent:

Unless your stomach is full of water instead of digestive fluid then this is a null argument. And some vitamins must be assisted by fats- hence fat-soluble. And there's a reason for the word "supplement"- they are to SUPPLEMENT what you eat, not replace it. I happen to need extra calcium in my diet because of certain medications, so I supplement with calcium. People have their reasons.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    - multivitamin
    - omega 3 1000g
    - vitamin b 100mg
    - vitamin c 500mg
    - magnesium 250mg
    - zinc 10mg
    - milk thistle 250mg
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my diet. I'm doing my exercising. I'm eating often to keep my metabolism up. And I'm being a good girl and taking my vitamins. And so far it's working. I'm losing weight.

I take echinacea, nature made brand multi for her, biotin, and a vitamin C pill.

I've seen so many different comments about different vitamins people take and wonder what vitamins work for you? Or maybe you can recommend a better one for me? I've already heard all the arguments that echinacea isn't going to do anything for me, blah, blah, blah. But I already own the darn pills so it won't hurt for me to take them until the bottle is empty.

Curious.. How does echinacea benefit you? I usually only take them when I feel a cold coming on.
  • julief405
    Options
    For those of you who do take supplements, do you log these calories in your food diary?
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Once a day women's multivitamin, and an additional Vitamin D, both per doctor's recommendations.

I have changed from taking them right away in the morning to taking them with lunch. Taking with food eliminates the nasuea that I was otherwise experiencing.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

In the first article the studies don't state how much of the vitamins they received and for how long. Actually sounds like the study they did on vitamin E where they had a group of people take the vitamin and a group of people take a placebo. The thing is that the people in the study weren't required to write down when they took it, how much they took it and how they felt etc. The study went on for 10 years or something like that and when it was over they were supposed to remember details such as how much they took daily, when they took it etc. The study thus concluded that vitamin E has zero health benefits based on this one flawed study. I'd like to see the footnotes and the specifics of the actual studies that were done in the article. Most of it was about the life and times of one guy.

Sounds like fear mongering to me. And for what it's worth because people are living longer ALL men will get prostate cancer.

Read the second article. :)

* actually, don't bother, I don't want to tell someone else what to do. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I take a regular multi + extra vitamin D. Sometimes I also have to take extra iron.

Most people don't need a vitamin at all. I have some absorption issues due to a medical condition, so I have to.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    For those of you who do take supplements, do you log these calories in your food diary?

Yes.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    B-12 for me
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No vitamins for me, I'm not convinced that they do anything assuming a person doesn't have a specific deficiency.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

None of what I take has calories listed, so no.

Right now, I'm finishing off a bottle of Jamieson A+D because it usually helps keep my eczema in check (not this winter :tongue: ). I'm going back to Centrum for Women when I finish the Jamieson.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    NONe big waste of $$$$$. Eat a proper diet and you don't need them. That is from my MD.

They aren't a complete waste of money if you are deficit in a particular area, but for the most part I agree. :smile:

My GP told me that a multivitamin was totally my preference but he didnt know that it would really help me, however he did prescribe an OTC ferrous gluconate supplement to me. My ND (Naturopath) told me that because I eat my veggies and fruit a multi is a waste of my time and that ALL vitamins should be prescribed by a health care professional. I shouldnt be picking my supplements myself. She gave a few to try out to see if they helped with my headaches, but if they make no difference in a month I am to quit taking them and book again. So see a doctor about it.