Unhelpful work colleagues

Options
Does anyone work with someone who, despite them thinking they are being helpful and keeping you cheerful by bringing in cakes, and despite them knowing you have been carefully eating for the last two weeks to keep within your respective calorie counts, still insist on putting them on your desk even after you've said "no thankyou"...?

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yes. I drop them in the bin and say 'you don't get to tell me when or what I eat.'
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    throw the stuff in the trash.. problem solved.

trust me, people stop bringing you things after you said no thanks if you jut throw it in the garbage or if they see a bit later sitting on the work kitchen counter with a note that says "free to good home"
  • mtikky
    mtikky Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    trust me, people stop bringing you things after you said no thanks if you jut throw it in the garbage or if they see a bit later sitting on the work kitchen counter with a note that says "free to good home"

The fact I gave said cookie (Marks & Spencer white chocolate, so the best part of 400 calories) away may make the hint go in.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    They know you are clearly not happy, that is why you are trying to change. So they are not doing it to be nice. They don't want you succeeding and reminding them of all the failures in their own lives.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This will sound way more jerky than I mean for it to.

If you rely on your coworkers to help you eat healthier, move more, and lose weight/fat...you will be waiting a very very long time to make any real changes.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Does anyone work with someone who, despite them thinking they are being helpful and keeping you cheerful by bringing in cakes, and despite them knowing you have been carefully eating for the last two weeks to keep within your respective calorie counts, still insist on putting them on your desk even after you've said "no thankyou"...?

Diet sabotage. I've seen it many times. Sometimes you have to step up and be stern when they won't back off.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Put it in the breakroom for others to eat. Make sure the person who gave it to you knows you are doing it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    At my work, people bring in stuff and leave it in our lunchroom. It doesn't bother me...just because I'm watching what I eat doesn't mean no one else can enjoy themselves.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    This will sound way more jerky than I mean for it to.

If you rely on your coworkers to help you eat healthier, move more, and lose weight/fat...you will be waiting a very very long time to make any real changes.

^THIS
  • refuseresist
    Options
    At my work, people bring in stuff and leave it in our lunchroom. It doesn't bother me...just because I'm watching what I eat doesn't mean no one else can enjoy themselves.

But when they offer it to you directly and you say 'no thank you' do they then menacingly drop it on your desk in front of you?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    We just keep all the sweets in the breakroom (today it's chocolate peanut butter butter cake :noway: ). If someone brought it to you directly, I'd just thank them and put it in the breakroom for people to share.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    We just keep all the sweets in the breakroom (today it's chocolate peanut butter butter cake :noway: ). If someone brought it to you directly, I'd just thank them and put it in the breakroom for people to share.

I'm too angry. I want to shove it in their face shouting 'YOU EAT IT! YOU EAT IT'
    I think I may have problems
  • nikkida_tisdale
    nikkida_tisdale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would put it back on their desk. They are just rude!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'll usually toss it.

If I say no, and they still insist, then it is really my choice what I do with it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, they don't need to be helpful. This is just a fact of life that we all have to get used to. Don't sweat it. Have the cake sometimes. Say "no thanks" sometimes. Cake is not inherently evil. In fact, it's quite lovely.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I'm too angry. I want to shove it in their face shouting 'YOU EAT IT! YOU EAT IT'
    I think I may have problems

Meh. I just do my thing. There's nothing wrong with eating foods like that if you make room for them, but given that I'm maintaining a fairly low carb macro, there's really no place in my diet for it. And, in my office, they do eat it. Pretty sure this place runs on dessert, haha.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yup, happens all the time.

I work with a lot women who are just, I dunno, food-nosy? When they are hungry, they annouce it to the whole office. When they are dieting and only eating soup, or things that are green, or cutting out all bread/soda/....or whatever else stupid thing they are trying, they annouce it. And when someone is eating a lunch that looks remotely good or smells good, someone will walk by and say loudy "ooh, what you eating?" or for example what JUST happened to me as I read your thread - "Look at you with your healthy lunch." The worst is when someone I don't really talk to will slide up to my desk and get too close for comfort and ask me where I got my lunch, or if I cooked it, or something. Like I said....food-nosy? I think a lot of them are suffering through some inane diet and can't help salivating over everyone else's food. It gets old though and is very annoying.

Oh and when you say "no thanks" to something, like this morning I said "no thanks" to a donut, it never ends there. Someone has to say something "Oh, look at her, being so good" but in more of a condescending tone.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    I have had a brilliant idea. Get a can of that rotted shark stuff from Denmark/ Iceland or wherever, offer them the closed can. When they decline, open the can and throw it on their desk. Run away shouting 'I'm only trying to be nice!'
  • mtikky
    mtikky Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, they don't need to be helpful. This is just a fact of life that we all have to get used to. Don't sweat it. Have the cake sometimes. Say "no thanks" sometimes. Cake is not inherently evil. In fact, it's quite lovely.

I'm on 1690 cals a day. So I had room for the doughnut but not the cookie.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    I have had a brilliant idea. Get a can of that rotted shark stuff from Denmark/ Iceland or wherever, offer them the closed can. When they decline, open the can and throw it on their desk. Run away shouting 'I'm only trying to be nice!'

DO IT DO IT