SABOTAGE!

Options
124»

Replies

• Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cool post!!

I think for me the biggest support has been my husband due to his great positive attitude and knowledge about nutrition/health. I also love that he's on his own "journey" (as much as I hate that term) and we can share the healthy foods mixed in with occasional treats. That is a huge help to me.

My mom has come a long way. She used to think everything I ate was weird/strange but now she actually tries. She buys those little single serving Red Baron frozen pizzas for me, which I generally think are total junk, but it IS better than a lot of her cooking...and she always overcooks broccoli for me but the whole concept of her even buying fresh veggies is a new one. So I see those small efforts as a very big deal. She's actually lost 7 lb herself in the past year and before that was on a steady incline in her weight so I'm pleased.

It helps that my dad has made positive changes in his own health as well. We go to lunch once a week and it's usually not "health food" but I'm happy that he doesn't comment negatively when I leave half of my pasta or take a bun off my burger and so on. When we eat Chinese he usually piles his onions and bell peppers on my plate because he does not like them and I do. But he won't do that with something really fatty/salty because he knows I don't eat those things now. Little stuff like that feels supportive to me.

Any person can handle the big important stuff but it takes real love and consideration to handle the million small irritations in a life. You are blessed that the people in your life care enough for you to look out for even the small stuff. They are rare,
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bump for the evening crowd.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bump because this is well worth the read. Great Topic!
    And, because I always have to add my two cents, my biggest supporters are my husband, who is also working on his weight, does most of the cooking and gets me to exercise. My friends who are totally okay with my bag of carrots and celery and who do not judge or tease me (shout out to all of my wine tasting friends), my mum (who was right "the only way to loose weight is to keep track of your calories and get moving" - I find it kind of amusing that a nutritionist who was trained in the 1940's had it figured out years ago - never bought into any fads or diets - just calories in < calories out = weight loss). My jazzercise class - as much as I whine and grouse, I do love them all and really appreciate their support. And last, my doctor who probably was sick of me crying every time she saw me and put me on welbutrin to help reduce my stress - I don't care if it is a placebo effect, I am running with it.