Crazy advice for getting pregnant

2»

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    My grandma said if you eat nothing but watermelon while trying to conceive you'll have a girl. I don't think my tummy would appreciate the sex after that though. Haha

I've only heard one tale of watermelon and this subject, and it had nothing to do with the sex the baby...
    If it has to do with a seed , I heard that one as well..

Have you heard the one about the toilet seats too?
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    About the cigarette thing- I've actually talked to a doctor about that because my friend got the same advice, he said the withdrawal from stopping cold turkey could hurt the baby, that's why they suggest that.

As for the dumbest advise I've ever gotten , when we were considering adoption "if you adopt maybe you'll relax and have a real baby" WTF.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    This isn't about getting pregnant, but when my friend was pregnant with her son, the doctor suggested that she slowly wean herself off of cigarettes instead of quitting cold turkey. Dafuq? She found a new doctor.

I had a friend who received the same advice "because cold turkey would cause undo stress on the baby." WTF?!? So what does smoking cause?

Actually that's true. Think of the stress of the mother quitting cold turkey. The baby feels it the same if not more, and has been used to getting the same amount of nicotine all the time. Suddenly cutting that out could put undue stress on the baby and could lead to miscarriage or early birth. Doctors recommend slowly weaning because it's less stressful for mom and for baby. Yes, smoking causes low birth-weight babies and other problems. But it's safer to wean slowly. The hope is that by the time baby is born, mom will be smoke-free. Nicotine exposure isn't terrific for a growing fetus, but smoke exposure is worse for a growing baby. And it's not just second hand smoke, but third hand as well (the smoke that clings to your clothes all day after even one cigarette, it also has carcinogens and irritants and toxins).

ETA: Re: crazy baby-making advice. Someone once said that different positions will affect the gender of the baby. Bunk.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Have sex and do a hand-stand.

Or have sex while doing a hand-stand.

I can't remember which one but at least the last one sounds like fun!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    I think the idea of having a child is crazy to begin with. Any advice related to it will be ludicrous.

You are correct.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I had 4 oops babies... so I guess the advice would be to not try and hope you aren't pregnant LOL :laugh:

My friend, who has always told me that her diaphragm is the best method of birth control on the market, had 4 "oops" babies with her husband. Lol, maybe she wasn't using it correctly? They call them "blessings" instead of "mistakes." :laugh:
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Took me losing almost half my body weight to get pregnant.

That and finally deciding that we probably wouldn't have kids, so I just quit worrying. The very next month...bam. She's two now.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    predator-handshake-o.gif

Seek employment as Arnold Schwarzenegger's maid.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I had 4 oops babies... so I guess the advice would be to not try and hope you aren't pregnant LOL :laugh:

My friend, who has always told me that her diaphragm is the best method of birth control on the market, had 4 "oops" babies with her husband. Lol, maybe she wasn't using it correctly? They call them "blessings" instead of "mistakes." :laugh:

Lol each one was while I was on some sort of birth control. The last one was while I was using an IUD. I need this kind of luck in Vegas. :laugh: