Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Speaking of ice cream recipes, my favorite is this one:

- Scoop Breyer's coffee ice cream into bowl until desired quantity is obtained. (I use a digital kitchen scale.)

- Consume with a spoon.

It's delicious...and at only 130 calories per serving, can be a part of nearly any reasonable daily calorie limit.

breyer20coffee20half20g.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ICE CREAM! I must shout it to everyone! Fortunately, ice cream isn't exactly "healthy". I did come up with a good alternative that is...you'll never believe it...UNDER 200 cals! Just take chocolate graham crackers (low fat or reduced cal if you can find them) break them in half and make a "sandwich" with Lite Cool Whip in the middle. Freeze for two hours. Tastes just like an ice cream sandwich with WAY less calories (about 130 for two sandwiches using full calorie graham crackers). YUM!
    Light Cool Whip is far more unhealthy than a half cup of real ice cream (which is also usually under 200 calories).

I'll stick with ice cream when I want it. Thanks.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*
    It isn't even whipped cream. it's partially hydrogenated oil. It's basically a big old tub of trans fats.

If you happen to prefer this particular dessert to ice cream, eat away. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's healthier or even that it's fewer calories than a serving of ice cream.

I dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 in about three months eating a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone (sugar cone, of course) every Friday.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    *awaits today's "you're all meanies" thread*
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

- Eat ice cream with spoon out of container until satisfied.

That container is about 2 servings for me, give or take.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not gonna read this thread because it gives me a sad, but has anyone told the OP that a regular, full-fat-and-sugar ice cream sandwich only has ~150 calories?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Not gonna read this thread because it gives me a sad, but has anyone told the OP that a regular, full-fat-and-sugar ice cream sandwich only has ~150 calories?
    It has been said.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say that chemicals and additives are a great alternative. I will stick to my Cant Tell Me No Cookie Dough ice cream. At 300 calories a serving lets just say its a rare treat that I will savor!
    An alternative for OP has been stated with the Skinny Cow. Also there are a lot of low cal ice cream out there. One of my favorites when I first started losing was Blue Bunny mini ice cream cones. The chocolate swirl ones are 140 and the vanilla is 130. I found them to satisfy the craving while fitting easily in my calories. 130 calories is no more than a granola bar or a handful of nuts.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned is under 200 cals and takes a lot less effort.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you have to post your disagreement online? if the OP likes what she made, she can. you don't have to waste time out of your own day by tossing negativity around. shockingly, you might feel better about yourself if you go about complimenting people instead of downing them.
    Yeah come on you guys, the internet is only for agreeing!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few people becoming 'outraged' on the OP's behalf and she hasn't even come back yet.
    Maybe she is new to this and just doesn't understand that she doesn't have to replace something she clearly loves with something that really isn't going to be to her benefit. I would think that was more valuable than assigning a 'mean' tone to those responding to her incorrect comment about ice cream being unhealthy.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches. About 150 calories. I see them at just about all the grocery stores I go to.

When I get the temptation for ice cream, a milkshake, or that G.D. Dairy Queen Blizzard... replacing about 800 calories with a 150 calorie alternative is HUGE.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Flavored stevia over ice chips.:smooched:

You must lead a sad, sad life. You poor thing. *Spoon feeds you real ice cream*
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options

- Scoop Breyer's coffee ice cream into bowl until desired quantity is obtained. (I use a digital kitchen scale.)

- Consume with a spoon.

It's delicious...and at only 130 calories per serving, can be a part of nearly any reasonable daily calorie limit.

Thank you for posting, i will have to give this a try. Just a couple questions...
    Can I sub for another flavor?
    May I use a fork to consume?
    If I eyeball the entire tub as 1/2ish cups, will that change the caloric value?
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to tell me that THAT is NOT a single servicing carton? Crud that explains alot, thx for the heads up.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*
    It isn't even whipped cream. it's partially hydrogenated oil. It's basically a big old tub of trans fats.

If you happen to prefer this particular dessert to ice cream, eat away. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's healthier or even that it's fewer calories than a serving of ice cream.

I dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 in about three months eating a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone (sugar cone, of course) every Friday.

I just didn't even want to get into all that. But now that you went there....

Ingredients: water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).

And just for fun, take a look at the 12 day experiment: http://www.jonathanfields.com/horrifying-12-day-cool-whip-experiment/

Here are the ingredients of Breyers Natural Vanilla: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, TARA GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Flavored stevia over ice chips.:smooched:

Please tell me you're trolling.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you have to post your disagreement online? if the OP likes what she made, she can. you don't have to waste time out of your own day by tossing negativity around. shockingly, you might feel better about yourself if you go about complimenting people instead of downing them.

So you're posting to say that you disagree with our posts that disagree with the OP?
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    FYI, Edy's slow churned cookie dough ice cream is only 130 cal's/serving, (same as the full cal graham cracker with cool whip). I weigh my ice cream, instead of measuring it, and a 1/2 cup is actually a decent amount, (although a pint would be better, lol). Luvz me some cookay dooooo!!! :happy: :wink: