Intense chocolate and icecream cravings, anyone?

I recently upped my calorie intake to gain a few healthy pounds and I want to do this healthily. However, after eating some icecream and chocolate over the weekend, I just haven't been able to stop! Everyday I start out eating really well, but find myself caving around 4pm due to chocolate and/or icecream cravings. Even after having a snack, I still have that longing urge to eat either one, or both together! It's really odd because I usually have great self control, and during the spring/summer I had no desire to eat these things, and never had a problem sticking to a healthy range of foods. Now it seems like no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stay away from this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be? I try to keep them out of the house as much as possible, and I do allow myself treats, but I really don't want to be having icecream 2-3 times a day. Also, any tips to satisfy these cravings with other stuff would be great! Thanks. :)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    as long as you maintain a deficit and hit your macros I do not see why that would be an issue..

is this causing you to go way over on calories or are you still under for day?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    So eat them once a day. Just find a way to make it fit your macros.
  • In, because I need tips too! I find myself craving sweets now more than I ever have (though my goal is to lose weight) and I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I had ice cream once last week, and though I haven't indulged since, I crave it every day. :( Lol.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    I recently upped my calorie intake to gain a few healthy pounds and I want to do this healthily. However, after eating some icecream and chocolate over the weekend, I just haven't been able to stop! Everyday I start out eating really well, but find myself caving around 4pm due to chocolate and/or icecream cravings. Even after having a snack, I still have that longing urge to eat either one, or both together! It's really odd because I usually have great self control, and during the spring/summer I had no desire to eat these things, and never had a problem sticking to a healthy range of foods. Now it seems like no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stay away from this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be? I try to keep them out of the house as much as possible, and I do allow myself treats, but I really don't want to be having icecream 2-3 times a day. Also, any tips to satisfy these cravings with other stuff would be great! Thanks. :)

Don't worry I've been in the same situation and 1.5 months later and I'm still struggling saying no to junk food but I'm starting to eat better now. I think one of the best ways is try to fight the urge and not have it around for you to eat. I heard waiting 5 minutes, going for a walk or distracting your mind helps. How about you buy some greek yougurt and put some mango or banana in it? It's sweet enough to maybe cure your craving. :)
  • ndj1979
    In, because I need tips too! I find myself craving sweets now more than I ever have (though my goal is to lose weight) and I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I had ice cream once last week, and though I haven't indulged since, I crave it every day. :( Lol.

then why not eat it…? As long as you are still under on calories no biggie...
  • Wayyyyy over lol. Complete overindulgence. I never used to have this issue at all, and now its almost out of control. Once I'm full I don't crave it, but it seems as though whenever I get the littlest bit hungry or lethargic, its all I want.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    If you can control yourself, have the daily treat! It's okay. But if you're unable to control how much you eat, then maybe it might be better to keep it out of the house, at least for awhile.

I am IN LOVE with cookie butter, and I have no control over myself. Like, none whatsoever. I will eat that whole effing jar. So, to be safe, I haven't bought any in some time. It's just one of those things that I MUST eat when it's around. Haha. But I know that one day I'll go back to it and I will try to have more control. Snacks and treats are awesome, as long as you can maintain your calorie allowance and macro needs.
  • ndj1979

Don't worry I've been in the same situation and 1.5 months later and I'm still struggling saying no to junk food but I'm starting to eat better now. I think one of the best ways is try to fight the urge and not have it around for you to eat. I heard waiting 5 minutes, going for a walk or distracting your mind helps. How about you buy some greek yougurt and put some mango or banana in it? It's sweet enough to maybe cure your craving. :)

this is thep problem with labeling foods "junk" and then restricting yourself….it leads to cravings, which then leads to bingeing on said foods, which leads to calorie blow outs, which lead to feelings of gulit and depression..

why not just make rooms or the foods you want and maintain a calorie deficit…?

the 80/20 rule is a good one to follow…80% healthy, 20% whatever you wants...
  • ndj1979
    Wayyyyy over lol. Complete overindulgence. I never used to have this issue at all, and now its almost out of control. Once I'm full I don't crave it, but it seems as though whenever I get the littlest bit hungry or lethargic, its all I want.

what is your daily calorie goal?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Do a search for a website called radiant recovery and see if this fits you :-) Good luck with it
  • daily goal is 1200 cal/day. I usually eat about 1600-2000, possibly even 2500 if I'm hungry enough.
  • ashleyisgreat
    daily goal is 1200 cal/day. I usually eat about 1600-2000, possibly even 2500 if I'm hungry enough.

Wait...you upped your calories to 1200? What were they before?
  • ndj1979
    daily goal is 1200 cal/day. I usually eat about 1600-2000, possibly even 2500 if I'm hungry enough.

Wait...you upped your calories to 1200? What were they before?

thinking same thing….
  • Sorry, before was 1200. Right now I have about 1600/day, or aim for about that.
  • ndj1979

how much are you trying to gain?
  • ndj1979
    Sorry, before was 1200. Right now I have about 1600/day, or aim for about that.

so you went from 1200 to 1600..?
  • Its been a long week, sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to gain 5lbs. I've gained 2.5 so far. But I also don't want my cravings and over eating to get out of control to the point where I gain massive amounts of weight and fall off the wagon. I want to gain muscle, not fat. So far its just been a lot of fat.
  • Yes. And ever since I bumped it up to 1600 calories, my appetite has spiked and I've been eating a lot more and craving a lot more sweets. I often overindulge to about 2000 calories, and since I've been busy with schoolwork and exams, I haven't had the chance to workout so I feel pretty bad about this and wondered what others do to keep their icecream/chocolate cravings controlled.
  • ndj1979
    are you working out/lifting?
  • ashleyisgreat
    Are you also working out? If you are, then I wouldn't worry too much about the extra calories (except maybe on days when you are really going WAY over). You do need a surplus to gain muscle, so it's good that you're having the extra calories. I am a firm believer in eating yummy things, so if you're getting some of your calories from ice cream and still hitting your other macronutrient goals, then that's perfectly okay.