Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Paleo Newbie!

13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If someone told you that they were going to put an emphasis on eating primarily organic/grass-fed meat along with lots of vegetables and some fruit; would there be such a negative reaction? What do grains offer that vegetables cannot offer?
    Here? probably. Unless you say you embrace the SAD and pop tarts, someone will complain. :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I know of nobody on this board that promotes or pushes the SAD, other than the imaginary person you seem to be constantly referring to.
  • Hello... saw your post and I've just started Paleo too! My PT instructor is a huge fan of it... happy to share posts and ideas and things that I've done. I will read the other posts too... I agree with you though, I feel amazing. Not hungry, not craving anything and I used to eat truck loads of cheese, potato, rice and bread... but I don't miss it and feel so much 'lighter' in myself... I'm loving it!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I thought anyone doing something like Paleo ought to know about the L-carnatine study in Nature. It shows that there is a substance in red meat that alters the product of your gut bacteria and causes it to produce a toxic substance. It is not extremely toxic but over time it causes colon cancer and heart disease, L-Carnatine is in ALL red meat. The only way to avoid it is to avoid red meat. I think if the people who were considering Paleo all know about this, they might think twice.

This is very wrong. Stop stating falsities as fact.
  • http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

Ranked last out of 32 diets.

Not trying to make anyone feel bad or embarrass anybody, but this research and commentary is very interesting.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets?page=4

I've seen this list before and IMO it is biased and unfounded. Among the top 5 diets in here you wil find DASH, Mayo, and Weight Watchers - all of which adhere to the american food standards (for daily recommneded amounts of ....). I'm not trying to discredit any of the 'diets' on the list, I'm sure that they all work in some way or another, but it seems to me that as soon as anything veers outside of the box that is the US of A, it is no longer deemed acceptable. Note the lack of research and knowledge of the paleo diet in this list. All the answers are unknown or possibly?

In any case, each person just needs to experimient and find what is best for him/her. It needs to suit your lifestyle (we are not cavemen anymore) and your goals. It also needs to be sustainable on your end.

I started eating paleo January 1st of this year. It's an experiment really, to see how my body reacts to it, and I must say that after getting over the initial withdrawals (carb flu, sugar detox), I am feeling much better today then I did one month ago. But again, that is just me and does not mean that the same will apply to everyone.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    I have not read all of the responses, but as expected, they are pretty negative. I am also doing a Whole30 this month, currently on Day 13. It seems like I have cured my ongoing shoulder pain after no improvement from going to physical therapy. It seems entirely possible that it had been due to inflammation from what I had been eating- grains, dairy, sugar...something. I won't know until the reintro phase in a few weeks. I am planning on following a mostly paleo diet lifestyle during my post-Whole30 time. I started the plan in order to try and break a reliance on sugar as well as to kickstart a habits that involve the preparation and consumption of whole natural foods instead of highly processed ones. If that's crazy, I guess I am. But my results speak for themselves.
    It's almost as if people who respond negatively to threads like this are insecure in their own food choices, and anyone following a whole foods/clean foods way of life threatens them in some way, as if it reflects on their poor choices. I cannot account for it any other way. Whole30 and paleo are perfectly healthy ways to eat, otherwise, why the heck do you care?

OP or anyone else feel free to add me. Also, there is a January Whole30 group- check it out!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Here we go again. OP: there are several paleo groups if you'd like to discuss your journey with likeminded folks. The main boards are kinda funny with their: you have to want to eat all foods approach sometimes.

I'm not paleo/primal, but get why some folks would choose it over the SAD.

Certainly you're not trying to characterize my statement that way, are you?
    Nope. In fact, I didn't read your post.

Oh. I just figured you would be responding to a phenomenon that was actually occurring in the thread rather than just casually tossing out an unsubstantiated, false statement.
    Boy, you like arguing.
    No. I didn't read your first reply, because I was responding to the thread as a whole. And, in case you hadn't noticed, OTHERS have commented as well. Not just you. sheesh.
    Virtually every thread about paleo, primal, low carb, "clean", vegetarian, etc. etc. etc. pretty much goes the same way. This thread is no exception
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I know of nobody on this board that promotes or pushes the SAD, other than the imaginary person you seem to be constantly referring to.
    :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

I know, that is very laughable, right..................that is why there is a gang rush to jump on anyone that mentions low carb, Paleo, keto, etc.

Because no one pushes the SAD way of eating on anyone else. pffffttttttt
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Here we go again. OP: there are several paleo groups if you'd like to discuss your journey with likeminded folks. The main boards are kinda funny with their: you have to want to eat all foods approach sometimes.

I'm not paleo/primal, but get why some folks would choose it over the SAD.

Certainly you're not trying to characterize my statement that way, are you?
    Nope. In fact, I didn't read your post.

Oh. I just figured you would be responding to a phenomenon that was actually occurring in the thread rather than just casually tossing out an unsubstantiated, false statement.
    Boy, you like arguing.
    No. I didn't read your first reply, because I was responding to the thread as a whole. And, in case you hadn't noticed, OTHERS have commented as well. Not just you. sheesh.
    Virtually every thread about paleo, primal, low carb, "clean", vegetarian, etc. etc. etc. pretty much goes the same way. This thread is no exception
    Either I like arguing or I find it irritating when people make up things to complain about. "This thread is no exception" and yet no one has said anything remotely along the lines of "you have to want to eat all foods".
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

I know, that is very laughable, right..................that is why there is a gang rush to jump on anyone that mentions low carb, Paleo, keto, etc.

Because no one pushes the SAD way of eating on anyone else. pffffttttttt
    Name one person that pushed for 60% carbs and 15% protein. Go ahead, I'll wait.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather was paleo but he got eaten by a tyrannosaurus rex one day while searching for some dried tree sap to eat. :(