Understanding obesity rather than weight loss

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Here we go again... Didn't we just have a "food addiction" thread?

I think that was sugar addiction ..

but in…for the food addiction
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    WOW! I guess I should not be surprised at all the vitriol being spewed at the OP over this, but this is even more harsh than normal.

The OP opened a vein here and shared HER experience. She clearly stated that this was not the answer for EVERYONE. She simply is sharing some realities that she has come to understand for HER situation.

She is not alone in this. There are many people on this site that are struggling with food addiction.

I have to admit that before I joined this site and met some wonderful caring people who are battling their food addictions, that I didn't understand it either. I sat on my high horse and held myself above those people who became obese strictly because they couldn't stop 'feeding their face.' I mean I had a good excuse for my weight gain. But young healthy people should be able to control their weight, right? Just eat less and move more, right?

Whether or not Obesity is actually a disease, doesn't really matter.

If it IS a disease, then it is caused by eating more calories than you burn.
    Just like AIDS is a disease that can be caused by having unprotected sex with an infected person.
    And lung cancer can be caused (in most cases) by smoking cigarettes or being around smoke or other toxic chemicals.

Just because these diseases were brought on by the individual's behaviors, doesn't mean that they should be thrown aside and left for dead.

OP- I applaud you for baring your soul as you did. You have opened a window into the life of someone with food addictions.
    I am sure that you have connected with many other people who are struggling as you are, and maybe have give them some hope.

And perhaps you have opened the eyes of some people who don't have your struggles with food, and created some empathy in their hearts.

I thank you and wish you well in your continued struggle to conquer your issues.:flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    my two cents..obesity is not a disease it is a symptom of something else aka - depression, anxiety, not giving an F and overeating, etc….

you could of accomplished weight loss by just eating less and moving/working out more. You did not need surgery, pills, etc. Also, labeling foods "bad" aka sugar is "bad" and then restricting foods is what sets people up for a cycle of failure, which goes something like …restrict foods and works for a while; get cravings for said foods; binge on said foods; then have feelings of guilt about binging on said foods; then just want to give up…

You said you gave up "sugar"…do you still eat fruit and carbs? Because both of those have sugar in them...
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    whenever people want to blame sugar for obesity I have to go "have you heard of durianrider? have you heard of freelea?"

google them. They LIVE basically on sugar. The guy cycles around Australia and the girl is very thin and toned. Also (and I DON'T recommend this) there was a few months of my life where I went to starbucks everyday, got several of their high calorie, high sugar drinks, and was still getting close to 2000-2100 kcal a day and lost weight.

I really don't think sugar is the issue, maybe the massive amount of fats and processed crap most people each combined with the fact that "food" these days really shouldn't be called food as much as a chemical experiment. & the paleo people might grip on me for this but people eat too much meat these days compared to our elders. Maybe that has something to do with it as well. I won't pretend to have the answers, just my opinions.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    WOW! I guess I should not be surprised at all the vitriol being spewed at the OP over this, but this is even more harsh than normal.

The OP opened a vein here and shared HER experience. She clearly stated that this was not the answer for EVERYONE. She simply is sharing some realities that she has come to understand for HER situation.

She is not alone in this. There are many people on this site that are struggling with food addiction.

I have to admit that before I joined this site and met some wonderful caring people who are battling their food addictions, that I didn't understand it either. I sat on my high horse and held myself above those people who became obese strictly because they couldn't stop 'feeding their face.' I mean I had a good excuse for my weight gain. But young healthy people should be able to control their weight, right? Just eat less and move more, right?

Whether or not Obesity is actually a disease, doesn't really matter.

If it IS a disease, then it is caused by eating more calories than you burn.
    Just like AIDS is a disease that can be caused by having unprotected sex with an infected person.
    And lung cancer can be caused (in most cases) by smoking cigarettes or being around smoke or other toxic chemicals.

Just because these diseases were brought on by the individual's behaviors, doesn't mean that they should be thrown aside and left for dead.

OP- I applaud you for baring your soul as you did. You have opened a window into the life of someone with food addictions.
    I am sure that you have connected with many other people who are struggling as you are, and maybe have give them some hope.

And perhaps you have opened the eyes of some people who don't have your struggles with food, and created some empathy in their hearts.

I thank you and wish you well in your continued struggle to conquer your issues.:flowerforyou:

sorry but I fail to see the connection between AIDS and Obesity ….that is just hyperbole….
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    That was quite a long OP. Unfortunately you're off base.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    my two cents..obesity is not a disease it is a symptom of something else aka - depression, anxiety, not giving an F and overeating, etc….

you could of accomplished weight loss by just eating less and moving/working out more. You did not need surgery, pills, etc. Also, labeling foods "bad" aka sugar is "bad" and then restricting foods is what sets people up for a cycle of failure, which goes something like …restrict foods and works for a while; get cravings for said foods; binge on said foods; then have feelings of guilt about binging on said foods; then just want to give up…

You said you gave up "sugar"…do you still eat fruit and carbs? Because both of those have sugar in them...

:drinker:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

None of us say that obese people should just be left for dead. The majority of us on this site who have lost weight encourage people to eat less and move more. THAT is the "cure" for obesity. Most of us encourage people to not start diets, but to make lifestyle changes that will ensure people are successful long into the future. Surgery and pills are not necessary because weight loss is possible without them.

I was obese. I ate because I liked feeling full. I ate because I liked the taste of fast food and sugary foods. I got tired of being obese, so I decided to change my life. I stopped being lazy. I started eating better and being aware of what I was eating. It isn't comfortable in the beginning, but no change in life is going to be comfortable. I didn't have to starve myself to go from obese to bodybuilder.
  • 2000chances
    2000chances Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    WOW J.....you've really woken up the bears!!! GOOD FOR YOU. Your journey is obviously unique AND your new found information is cutting edge. ......different than everyone else's opinion here in this thread. That's ok..if we where all the same...it would be boring.

I read most of the profile for the replies here....good for you on your successes.....but..I wouldn't challenge your opinions or how you reached your goals for one minute. I would welcome your new ideas in hopes that it can help me succeed.

As for the "insurance has to pay" comments....obesity insurance coverage is wayyyyyyy down on the list of covered treatments. My blog goes into great detail about that misconception.

Obviously I share the same journey as J. If anyone would like to debate ( I mean read) more.....feel free to take a look at my blog. I have more truths there.

Perhaps others will see this and it will give them light and hope for their battle.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://gorgomag.com/food-its-not-just-physical-its-psychological/

The best ‘diet’ is not always the diet which is the best diet physically, but it’s the diet that you can turn into a lifestyle that allows you to lose fat and KEEP IT OFF because you learn how to incorporate all foods in healthy moderation.

If you use a ‘diet’ and do not make lifestyle changes and do not educate yourself about how to eat various foods in moderation, you will always set yourself up for weight regain.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, but reading your post, it seems like you are advocating for people to claim victimhood status and look for an easy solution. Personally, I would think empowering people to take control and make changes in their lives would be more effective than saying "oh, it's not your fault sweetie, now here, take this pill."

You got fat because you ate too much food. Your numerous diets proved that you could lose weight if you simply ate less food. You got fat again when you stopped the diets and ate more food. You don't have a disease. You may have issues with self-control or compulsive behavior, but it's not a medical condition. Perhaps therapy would have been a more effective route than quick fixes and pills.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe it is a disease. I do believe that over eating is very often a response to the emotional and psychological stresses in life. It can fill a hole, like alcohol or drugs do for many others. Like the OP, I have tried every "diet" out there with no success for 20 years. For me, and many others I feel I have discovered a simple and yet profound truth this time around. I don't have to restrict anything, except portion sizes. I don't have to eliminate sugar, restrict carbs, take a pill it do a juice fast. I do have to count calories and move more for better health. I will always enjoy my food!!
  • wheird
    Options
    It is a little ironic. Her OP mentions all the fad diets she has tried and comes to the conclusion it must be a disease. Instead of, you know, moderation and finding something that is sustainable long term.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I agree...it can also be used to hide behind...give you an excuse not to participate in life...your weight becomes that brick wall that you built and that you hide behind. You feel safe back behind that wall...

Weight loss for some is not just about the pounds that you lose...but how many bricks did you take down from that wall.
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It is a little ironic. Her OP mentions all the fad diets she has tried and comes to the conclusion it must be a disease. Instead of, you know, moderation and finding something that is sustainable long term.

Reality, I don't think you read her post very carefully to be fair. she concluded with...

1. Calorie intake is very hard to gage and for years I thought I was eating the right amount for me but I wasn't. So I must keep track, measure, journal. If I get this wrong, I'm risking my life.
    2. Breakfast is important for me so that I load nutrients into my engine. I'm not very hungry in the morning, but it doesn't matter. Before the meds, I didn't want to ruin the only time in the day that I didn't feel hungry with food! Now, that is no longer precious time for me because I don't crave food anymore.
    3. I have to make sure all the food I eat, has nutritional value. That isn't easy, but it is easier if I eat real food and not processed. I have been making my own food and freezing them so I don't have to rely on pre made meals, etc.
    4. I have to exercise, but I need to ease into it so I don't pull a muscle or push my lazy heart. The goal is to eventually get to every day, 30 minutes.
    5. Drink lots and lots of water.
    6. Get plenty of good sleep.

That very much sounds to me like someone who has realized the mistakes of her past and has formulated a sound strategy for going forward.

Give her credit! Not everyone is this successful on their journey!
  • wheird
    Options

Reality, I don't think you read her post very carefully to be fair. she concluded with...

1. Calorie intake is very hard to gage and for years I thought I was eating the right amount for me but I wasn't. So I must keep track, measure, journal. If I get this wrong, I'm risking my life.
    2. Breakfast is important for me so that I load nutrients into my engine. I'm not very hungry in the morning, but it doesn't matter. Before the meds, I didn't want to ruin the only time in the day that I didn't feel hungry with food! Now, that is no longer precious time for me because I don't crave food anymore.
    3. I have to make sure all the food I eat, has nutritional value. That isn't easy, but it is easier if I eat real food and not processed. I have been making my own food and freezing them so I don't have to rely on pre made meals, etc.
    4. I have to exercise, but I need to ease into it so I don't pull a muscle or push my lazy heart. The goal is to eventually get to every day, 30 minutes.
    5. Drink lots and lots of water.
    6. Get plenty of good sleep.

That very much sounds to me like someone who has realized the mistakes of her past and has formulated a sound strategy for going forward.

Give her credit! Not everyone is this successful on their journey!

Yes, she concluded that she has to treat her weight management like a disease and restrict the foods she enjoys while taking an apoetite suppressant. This is not a good message for others.
  • JECole2013
    JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your own personal journey with health, fitness and weight loss.

I hope that each story helps another person because especially in the US, a third of our country are clinically obesity. And I like many, have struggled with more than 100 pounds over healthy weight.

I am sure that there is much more research to come, some will be good, some won't.

A few of you asked me for sourcing, ...

Here is the information about the habits of long-term success:

http://www.examiner.com/article/super-dieters-reveal-secrets-for-maintaining-70-pound-weight-loss-success

Obesity named a disease in US:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262226.php

Preferred treatments for obesity now given to GP's who see patients:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_c.pdf

percentage of US obese

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Yes, I eat fruit, though not a lot and yes, I know there is natural sugar in those fruits. For the most part, I am staying away from refined sugar.

Lastly, obesity is not an easy journey. So many people, so many variables. So many feelings. Whether obesity is a disease or not, doesn't really matter IF when someone who is struggling asks for help and gets it from the medical community or anyone else for that matter. If telling someone to "just cut calories and get off the couch" worked so well as advice, then we wouldn't be here _ growing and growing obesity epidemic in the U.S.

I'm glad that there are so many people on MFP that are willing to help a stranger face what ever is difficult in life. Blessings.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Op I love your post!

I think and have been saying for years that food addiction is real, especially sugar addiction. Just like people don't understand why a junkie can't quit shooting up or an alcoholic can't stop drinking; a sugar addict can't stop taking in all those sugary treats and drinks. It calls to you, begs you, shoots that message to you brain that it makes things better and causes that feel good response and you want more and more and more. That is what addiction is and that is what sugar does to me. I haven't had a sugary treat or drink since Christmas. My cravings are done, I feel better, I have no more headaches, mood swings and I getting more and more energy.

IMO, food addiction is real, it's not an excuse. I think there should be treatment centers for food/sugar addicts just like drug and alcohol abuse.

57f3e4a5-a890-45ff-8acc-978aba3a1453.png
  • wheird
    Options
    Hey all,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your own personal journey with health, fitness and weight loss.

I hope that each story helps another person because especially in the US, a third of our country are clinically obesity. And I like many, have struggled with more than 100 pounds over healthy weight.

I am sure that there is much more research to come, some will be good, some won't.

A few of you asked me for sourcing, ...

Here is the information about the habits of long-term success:

http://www.examiner.com/article/super-dieters-reveal-secrets-for-maintaining-70-pound-weight-loss-success

Obesity named a disease in US:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262226.php

Preferred treatments for obesity now given to GP's who see patients:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_c.pdf

percentage of US obese

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Yes, I eat fruit, though not a lot and yes, I know there is natural sugar in those fruits. For the most part, I am staying away from refined sugar.

Lastly, obesity is not an easy journey. So many people, so many variables. So many feelings. Whether obesity is a disease or not, doesn't really matter IF when someone who is struggling asks for help and gets it from the medical community or anyone else for that matter. If telling someone to "just cut calories and get off the couch" worked so well as advice, then we wouldn't be here _ growing and growing obesity epidemic in the U.S.

I'm glad that there are so many people on MFP that are willing to help a stranger face what ever is difficult in life. Blessings.

The greatest challenge in the attempt to reduce obesity is lack of understanding of nutrition and physiology. Yes, cutting calories and exercising are necessary for weight and health management. But many people don't understand the underlying principles and thus do not execute properly.

Look at how many people STILL think that dietary fat is a bad thing, or that sugar is evil, or that they need to detox their body of toxins. Very few people who educate themselves believe in any of that and are usually successful because they have the tools to make a plan and execute it.