Understanding obesity rather than weight loss

Options

Replies

• alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    my two cents..obesity is not a disease it is a symptom of something else aka - depression, anxiety, not giving an F and overeating, etc….

you could of accomplished weight loss by just eating less and moving/working out more. You did not need surgery, pills, etc. Also, labeling foods "bad" aka sugar is "bad" and then restricting foods is what sets people up for a cycle of failure, which goes something like …restrict foods and works for a while; get cravings for said foods; binge on said foods; then have feelings of guilt about binging on said foods; then just want to give up…

You said you gave up "sugar"…do you still eat fruit and carbs? Because both of those have sugar in them...

Sorry, but obesity is a disease because some people are NATURALLY obese. They can't help it. They have something genetically wrong with them that made them obese.

FALSE. Show me a person who can not lose fat by creating a calorie deficit and some exercise and I will believe you. Until then, no.

Me.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    LoL
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Obesity is the result of behavior - it is absolutely NOT a disease.

OP, I do applaud you for sharing your experience, even if it's different from my own. That said, you could have done this without pills or surgery. Most women can lose weight on around 1600 calories a day, which if you eat the right foods at the right times of the day you shouldn't be that hungry.

Change your lifestyle - this should not result in starving yourself, and you don't have to work out for hours a day.

You obviously aren't familiar with diseases of the endocrine system which cause obesity. Hence why obesity is a disease. Cushing's syndrome, thyroid malfunction or hyperfunction of the adrenal gland, insulinoma, tumors on the pituitary gland, carcinoid tumors, PCOS… just to name a few. People with these conditions suffer every day of their life with their weight. Do you know how difficult it is to lose weight with any of those diseases? The weight piles on no matter how much you exercise, what your diet is like, etc.

How dare you tell the OP that she could have lost weight without surgery or medication. I think if she could have lost weight without undergoing life-threatening surgery and having to take pills every day of her life, that she would have taken that route instead. You don't know her whole life story. Some people NEED an appetite suppressant because their leptin/ghrelin levels are screwed up and don't tell the brain when they are full or when they are truly hungry. Instead they send mixed messages- the person always "feels" hungry… they never feel "full." There's nothing wrong with taking a pill to correct the hunger hormones in the brain.

You named other diseases that contribute to obesity, not any evidence that obesity itself is a disease.

Many of those diseases also contribute to laziness. Is laziness a disease?
  • hammersoaps
    Options

OP, I do applaud you for sharing your experience, even if it's different from my own. That said, you could have done this without pills or surgery. Most women can lose weight on around 1600 calories a day, which if you eat the right foods at the right times of the day you shouldn't be that hungry.

Change your lifestyle - this should not result in starving yourself, and you don't have to work out for hours a day.

You obviously aren't familiar with diseases of the endocrine system which cause obesity. Hence why obesity is a disease. Cushing's syndrome, thyroid malfunction or hyperfunction of the adrenal gland, insulinoma, tumors on the pituitary gland, carcinoid tumors, PCOS… just to name a few. People with these conditions suffer every day of their life with their weight. Do you know how difficult it is to lose weight with any of those diseases? The weight piles on no matter how much you exercise, what your diet is like, etc.

How dare you tell the OP that she could have lost weight without surgery or medication. I think if she could have lost weight without undergoing life-threatening surgery and having to take pills every day of her life, that she would have taken that route instead. You don't know her whole life story. Some people NEED an appetite suppressant because their leptin/ghrelin levels are screwed up and don't tell the brain when they are full or when they are truly hungry. Instead they send mixed messages- the person always "feels" hungry… they never feel "full." There's nothing wrong with taking a pill to correct the hunger hormones in the brain.

It still sounds like obesity is a SYMPTOM of those diseases. All of those things make it difficult to lose weight. There is no arguing that. But there are people here who have lost weight with those diseases through diet and exercise. It is not impossible, I've seen it happen. It my be OVER 9,000 times more difficult, but it still works.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    my two cents..obesity is not a disease it is a symptom of something else aka - depression, anxiety, not giving an F and overeating, etc….

you could of accomplished weight loss by just eating less and moving/working out more. You did not need surgery, pills, etc. Also, labeling foods "bad" aka sugar is "bad" and then restricting foods is what sets people up for a cycle of failure, which goes something like …restrict foods and works for a while; get cravings for said foods; binge on said foods; then have feelings of guilt about binging on said foods; then just want to give up…

You said you gave up "sugar"…do you still eat fruit and carbs? Because both of those have sugar in them...

Sorry, but obesity is a disease because some people are NATURALLY obese. They can't help it. They have something genetically wrong with them that made them obese.

FALSE. Show me a person who can not lose fat by creating a calorie deficit and some exercise and I will believe you. Until then, no.

Me.
    So if you eat nothing at all you will be totally fine and can go years without eating and never lose any weight? Are you a wizard?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I've been on Atkins, Scarsdale, low-fat, high-protein, low carbs, high carbs, veggie, Sugar-busters, Weight-watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-systems, those hormone drops, and on and on .. just to name a few. I've lost some weight with just about all of them.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It still sounds like obesity is a SYMPTOM of those diseases. All of those things make it difficult to lose weight. There is no arguing that. But there are people here who have lost weight with those diseases through diet and exercise. It is not impossible, I've seen it happen. It my be OVER 9,000 times more difficult, but it still works.
    Yep. You can't just stop having lung cancer by changing your behavior. You CAN stop being obese by changing your behavior.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

You named other diseases that contribute to obesity, not any evidence that obesity itself is a disease.

My point is that some people have certain diseases that make them obese. Their eating behaviors and exercise habits did not give them PCOS, carcinoid tumors, hypothyroidism. If you think those are caused by laziness, I'm sorry but you are an idiot and should really do your research before talking about something you clearly know nothing about.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, while I may agree with some of what you say, and disagree with you on other points, I just want to congratulate you on the grace and manners of your responses to some of these posts. You may be right or you may be wrong, but you are most certainly strong enough to survive the journey :)

Ditto! :smile:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

You obviously are not aware that obesity is a symptom of those issues, not the issue itself. Or that people with Thyroid issues and PCOS can and have lost weight.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

Me.
    So if you eat nothing at all you will be totally fine and can go years without eating and never lose any weight? Are you a wizard?

Your ignorance is actually disgusting. I can eat at a deficit, exercise, and still not lose weight because of my endocrine diseases. My doctors even said weight loss for me will be impossible without medication.
  • wheird
    Options

My point is that some people have certain diseases that make them obese. Their eating behaviors and exercise habits did not give them PCOS, carcinoid tumors, hypothyroidism. If you think those are caused by laziness, I'm sorry but you are an idiot and should really do your research before talking about something you clearly know nothing about.

And yet they can combat that obesity through diet and exercise. Funny how that works.

And oh my, you calling someone an idiot is not only hilariously ironic, but also against the community guidelines.
  • wheird
    Options
    AmieY81 and firstsip. Two members here with no thyroid and have successfully lost weight.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I'm an idiot with hypothyroid disease that didn't use it as an excuse and used a calorie deficit and exercise to lose the weight I accumulated.
  • Linda09189
    Options
    OMG.....WE ARE FAT BECAUSE WE ATE TO MUCH, pure and simple, I blame mine on my 8 pregnancies but those babies didn't put food in my mouth I did....I also have blamed mine on all the **** that has happened in my life, you know eating your emotions, well guess what??? I put the food in my mouth, and NOW I'm taking it out of my mouth, I am NOW eating to live not living to eat....You gotta really want to change to lose weight, and you can't eat junk just cause you didn't go over your alotted calories for the day, it is a total live style change, if you want healthy then be healthy that simple.....I have a ton of weight to lose and last summer I was going threw the gastric bypass program, then at the last moment said, this is NOT for me, I am NOT a big eater, I just really love sugar, and making my stomach smaller isn't going to help with that.........so now I eat right, exercise at least 5 days a week and drink water and green tea, it's working slow and steady.........good luck
  • alexandriax03
    Options

I'm an idiot with hypothyroid disease that didn't use it as an excuse and used a calorie deficit and exercise to lose the weight I accumulated.

You're just one of the lucky ones who was able to lose weight through exercise and diet alone.
  • hammersoaps
    Options

You're just one of the lucky ones who was able to lose weight through exercise and diet alone.

Lucky? Ouch. Way to marginalize hard work and a ton of effort.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • MoreBean13
    Options

No, it took hard work and persistence for a year. My results were slower and less dramatic than other people who put in equivalent effort. My diet had to be more finely tuned. It's insulting for you to call the results of my effort "luck". Frankly, it's more insulting than when you called me an idiot. There's no such thing as lucky weight loss with hypothyroid, there's consistency and hard work, or no results.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Me.

Your ignorance is actually disgusting. I can eat at a deficit, exercise, and still not lose weight because of my endocrine diseases. My doctors even said weight loss for me will be impossible without medication.

Get a new doctor.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. That means I am hypothyroid. According to you, I should have difficulty losing weight and I would be able to just blame my thyroid.

Do I look like I have a weight problem?

ETA: If you doctor means treating your endocrine disorders will make it EASIER to lose weight, he is entirely correct. And you SHOULD be medicated to treat your endocrine disorders (whatever they may be). But if he is telling you that you cannot lose weight without an appetite suppressant, get a new doctor.