Question is about my 7 year old daughter who weighs 80lbs

Options

Replies

• alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Also another question is maybe getting her allergy tested a good idea...my husband has food senstivitys his mother also has wheat issues...could this be maybe a reason for weight?

and also what should I do to address constant hunger. She seriously would match how much my husband eats (he's 6'2) in one sitting if allowed.

You should talk to her pediatrician. Also, what does she eat? I'm not at all qualified to judge, nor am I trying to, but if she's eating calorie-dense foods (sweets, ice cream, etc.) then she won't feel as full.

However, I also would've eaten as much as possible when I was younger, and several times ate to the point of sickness. Try to get her to eat more slowly and really recognize signs of fullness vs. just liking the way food tastes.

I limit "junk" alot...I don't eat it...dont like it so its not in the house too much. And luckily she likes everything, even veggies, fruit. But I think she does raid others lunch boxes at school...not sure how to broach that or even if I should...its not really teachers job to patrol her food intake.

Honestly, when a parent takes something away, a child usually wants it more. I assume this is the case with your daughter and junk food. Since you limit junk food in the house, she looks for it other places. Like at school, or when she goes to friends houses, birthday parties, etc. The best way to avoid this, would be to allow her one or two "junk" items a day. This way she isn't completely deprived of things every kid likes but she isn't consuming too much of it either.
  • BeckaLowe
    Options
    Definitely agree with all those encouraging you to seek a physician's advice...a professional is going to be the best qualified to answer any questions or concerns you have about her health. She is lucky to have a mom who takes a vested interest in her wellbeing :)
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Let me just preface this by saying I don't have kids!

Assuming the doctor says there is nothing wrong, I have this little experiment that I thought would be a good thing to try with kids to teach them about moderation and self control.

Put together a little box with a weeks worth of snacks. Maybe a couple of those little lunch box packets of chips, a few cookies, pre-aliquoted crackers in little bags, whatever you deem appropriate. Tell the kids that these are their snacks for the week, and they can eat them all now or spread it out over the week, but once they're gone that's it until next week. Of course, have plenty of healthy options around (cut veges, fruit etc) that they can have unlimited amounts of, and you have adhere to it strictly and not cave in when they come begging for more tasty treats.

There are many potential flaws with this idea (eg: more than one kid: kids steal siblings snacks, or trade chores for snacks? etc...) and I'm sure a dozen other things I cant think of because I've never had to deal with sneaky children on a day to day basis, but still I'd definitely interested to see if it works one day. 7 would be old enough for something like this I would think?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Weight is also not the only consideration. Some people are more muscular than others. My two nephews are technically overweight. Neither has any extra fat but that dense build seems to run in my family. We all are much heavier than we appear.

If your pediatrician isn't over worried then I wouldn't be. Kids eat differently. I had one who grazed all day and one who didn't snack much but ate big meals. Also many kids have what I call the plump and grow growth pattern. They store up some extra fat and then overnight shoot up a couple inches. Others eat like a horse when they are growing and eat less when they are not. I would primarily provide healthy choices.

The impulsivity can be part of the issue. At her age it may just be something she will grow out of or it could be a sign of ADHD.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Get her moving! And you join her. That should help reduce her weight as well as her snacking patterns. Exercise reduces hunger signals. She may be eating out of boredom, so keep her busy physically.

And give her water. People eat when they're thirsty, thinking the signals they're getting are hunger pangs.

My best advice is to get snacks that she has to make herself--like peanut butter and bananas or crackers and cheese with some fruit. Buy oranges, for example. And don't peel it for her. Cut it in wedges or in half. Leave some of the work for her to do. Buy yogurt and some healthy sprinkles to put on it, but let her take the time to make it. Things that are ready to eat right out of the bag are too tempting and you can eat them by the handfuls before you know it. And supervise the amounts she uses.

But I'd definitely talk to her pediatrician first. 80 lbs. is on the heavy side for a 7 year old girl.

edited for spelling.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This might already got said, but do things together, You said you dont want to single her out, sit down with her and ask her what her hobbies are, go for a bike ride, mother and daughter day, xbox has some good games for kinect, and ps4 is coming out with a camera.
  • greenbeanmama
    greenbeanmama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At our house we've got a kiddo who would graze constantly too. I've had to be gentle but firm about eating when it's time to eat, and waiting till the next time. If I hear a whine of, "I'm hungry!", I say, "Good! That means you'll eat dinner well!"

I've got a seven-year-old who has to be on oral steroids periodically, which can triple a person's appetite. So we talk about portion control, and not needing the calories even if he feels hungry. When not on steroids, I often ask if he wants seconds because he's truly hungry or because he enjoyed eating the food. That can cause him to pay attention to his body's signals about fullness.

Often if a kiddo wants more than I give them, I will give them a choice of an apple or baby carrots. If they don't want those options, they can wait until it's time to eat again.

I think consistency is key - it's taken awhile, but I notice now my children not asking for snacks nearly so often, because it's an established routine and they know when snbacktime and mealtimes are.

Just my two cents - feel free to ignore what's not applicable to you!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So I guess its more I want direction on where to look..I know this site if for adults and I am a member here not my 7 year old of course. So I don't know what to do. I am doing my best to show by example how to eat. And I do as much as I can control what she's eating. But for as long as she could talk and walk she will want to eat constantly. Anytime a different person in the house wants a snack she needs a snack too. (not everyone wants a snack at the same time, so as you can imagine she's trying to double up on snacks constantly) I try my best to control this..but at the same time I don't want to make it into a big deal as if she has a problem. Don't want her with issues.. I mean I was once called chubby (when I wasn't) as a kid and I swear is scarred me for life.

So what do I do? She's in school 5 days a week and I know she must bum food from other kids...I don't want to bring it up to her teacher etc cause its embarassing. And I don't want her to feel singled out.

Anyways she is tall she's about 4ft so fairly tall, and she's 80 lbs. 80! is that really bad? see I don't even know she's got a fair amount of rolls.

Seems like it should be a simple solution, control control control..but how do I do that without singling her out?

The trend among pediatricians now is to tell parents of chubby youngsters to completely cut out sugary foods except for rare special occasions and to even cut out fruit juice--only water or whole milk for beverages. This has been pretty successful in most cases. One young mom that I know has followed this advice and both of her formerly chubby kids have slimmed down.
  • kacvt67
    Options
    So much input, so many people who are supporting you! I agree with checking with her doctor - again as you already seem to have started that discussion. DO talk to the teacher. I can attest to the fact that teachers are more than willing to help their students succeed in every aspect of their lives. (I am a teacher).
    As to snacks....that seems to be the problem. Obviously, fruit, veggies, small amounts of dipping items (peanut butter, ranch dressing, yogurt) I recommend taking her shopping with you. (I have 4 girls, 3 grown and living on their own, 1 at home and very healthy). I always included them in my shopping. Having 4 differing "favorite" after school snacks, I would buy enough for the week for each girl. I put the snacks in a bread box or fridge and labeled the containers they were stored in (fruit and veggie snacks were given if they were still hungry - and ONLY if dinner was over an hour away) I did not let them have food between meals other than that one snack + fruit/veggie. If there is snack time at school, make that a snack from home and make it healthy. (cheese stick and 1/2 an apple is great!)
    When your daughter is given the ability to make choices about what is in the house, she feels heard and is already satisfied.
    The next step - and this is the hard part - is to let her know that the snack she chooses is her ONLY snack for the week. If she wants and apple, pear, orange, grapes, broccoli, etc. let her get a little of all and label them with her name - no days of the week. If she indulges on day 1 and has nothing left for the rest of the week, she also learns consequences for her choices - a tough lesson but one often neglected with children are young (and there are plenty of young adults who believe they are entitled to games, phones, laptops or tablets, etc. Teach it early and you teach for life)
    It will only take 1 time and she will not want to do that again. She will tell you it isn't enough to have one snack a day. She may say awful things like "you don't really love me" or "I'm telling everyone you are starving me!" Let her. It hurts you to hear it, but it will not truly affect her relationship with you.
    in the long run, you are giving her the power to choose her foods - allow a special cookie or single serve ice cream once in a while, but not in a way to be expected such as every Saturday after playing at the park having ice cream. Only when you stop for a "treat" - not as a reward but just because - can she have one, too! Emulating mom is a good thing!
    I had to do some of this with one of my girls. She had a hard time in school with a group of girls (sixth grade is awful!), and would come home and sneak food! I just bought apples, oranges and grapes until they were coimng out my ears. Everyone else in the house started to grumble after a week of repeat items, no carbs, no sugar! It took a couple of weeks for my daughter to complain (she ate most of the snacks, but didn't gain - I think she lost a few pounds!), and as she was whining, the reason for her eating came out. A quick call to the school and all was well with the world. She is beautiful and an amazing cook who only uses whole, fresh foods - no boxes or cans.
    I hope all of our input helps you sort though and find options that work for you. In the long run, love and support will get you both through this.
  • Pickle_Ninja
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think its time for another trip to our family dr. And I will try some of the other suggestions, we are very active so not sure if I can up that too much more. I might just casually check with her teach and ask if she's noticed if my daughter gets foods from other classmates. And if she is, try to deal with that at home explaining why I don't want her eating others lunches (their moms worked hard and would like their own kids to eat what they made etc, ... skirting around the real reason lol) And I do like the allowing her to pick out certain snacks and thats all she gets, I will do this with my son too (even though he truely eats soley when he's hungry) but if she eats hers and he hasn't then at least when he does want it I will say sorry but you ate yours already and then it wont become a unfair thing. Thanks
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I was the same way as a child - always wanting to eat, always snacking but the problem was the quantity of what I ate. I too, ate as much as grown adult, and it was all garbage. I was also on the heavy side. It might take some family sacrifice, but you need to eliminate unhealthy snacks from the house. Fruit, healthy fats like nuts and cheese, yogurt, that kind of stuff is what you should be keeping around. Let her have as much and as many different kind of fruits as she wants. That stuff is more filling and satisfying than processed junk anyway. I know looking back I wish my parents had taught me about nutrition and not let me eat so much junk food all the time.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this will help you or not. I have a friend who recently married a lovely woman with daughters...one of whom was overweight. This friend runs every single day. He started taking the girls running with him around a local school track on sunday mornings. He told them that he has to run so that he can have his sunday pastry. They now run together all the time and only get a pastry on sundays. It has helped the little girl get more active, see food in a healthier way and as she is growing taller she is slimming down.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 6. He's a big kid...always been in the 90th+ percentile for weight and at least 80th for height. My husband is 6'3. So one thing to look at is: are her height and weight proportional? Find out where on the CDC's growth chart she falls for both, and see how they compare.

My son also eats constantly. The only foods I put within his reach are fruits, veggies, pumpkin seeds, and nuts (I try to monitor the last 2 at least a little bit). Obviously, I want to him to eat when he is hungry, but more importantly I want him to learn to decide for himself if he is hungry...to actually learn hunger cues.

I'm taking more of a fitness approach with him. I try to keep him active, which is hard in the winter. I've enrolled him in some fun physical activities, so it doesn't feel like punishment.

I was also an elementary school teacher. It doesn't hurt to voice your concerns to the teacher (obviously in private). You would be surprised by what teachers know...and what they don't know sometimes.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What is her paediatrician/family doc's opinion? Do they think she is overweight? There are dieticians/nutritionists who work with kids and they can give you great tips about how to handle this.
    I wonder if you could take her with yourself for walks or bike rides. Sometimes being active curbs the appetite.

I did and he just told me to make sure there's healthy options " check" do that already...

Exercise "check" we go swimming, skating, I take kids to park all the time.

I will maybe ask if I can see a nutritionist about constant hunger, she's a very implusive person, and I think alot of it is that...she eats before she thinks. Just really likes food any food...

I would change doctors if this doctor gives you the standard responses "healthy choice" "more activity" and does not check her out physically and do some blood work. Lots of other things could be working against her, thyroid controls weight and she could need medication. I would insist on a complete physical checkup and to keep a food and activity log as best as you can for her intake and her exercise. It will help the doctor or the nutritionist. Does diabetes run in your family? Blood tests will tell you if she is diabetic or borderline. Good luck.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

The trend among pediatricians now is to tell parents of chubby youngsters to completely cut out sugary foods except for rare special occasions and to even cut out fruit juice--only water or whole milk for beverages. This has been pretty successful in most cases. One young mom that I know has followed this advice and both of her formerly chubby kids have slimmed down.

I agree with a "water only" policy. My 9yo son drinks only water at home. He drinks plenty too. I do get him a treat everyday after school, on his way to his after-school lessons. He usually chooses a Sprite, but sometimes chips & mints. Other than that, it's water all the time. Drinking too many calories is one of the easiest points of attack and would get immediate results. Also, my son does martial arts. He's expected to be there and workout (hard!) for an >hour every day 5x/week. I admit that we don't always make such a a rigorous schedule, but we can usually make 4x/wk. There have been a couple of huskier kids who started the class and came regularly and have leaned out. If everything checks out medically and you feel that it's just a lifestyle thing, those would be the two things I'd approach first--switch to water only beverage (maybe 1x/day exception) and get into a REGULAR, daily exercise routine (but not necessarily "exercise", maybe dance or martial arts or gymnastics or swimming--but regular/daily & intense, kids have so much energy). Other than those key points, my son eats junk daily, is rather sedentary at home (video games),and I make sure he eats plenty of calories (I put double butter on his sandwiches regularly), but his weight/body composition seem fine. Good luck.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way as your daughter OP! Tall for my age, always heavy with a big belly. It was the jeans story that really twigged for me. EXACTLY the same, couldn't wear jeans that fit both my belly and my legs. :( I was always the tallest in the class, every year and it was about age 7 that I started to grow out too.

I overate with food, and stopped moving. You could give me carrots and apple and celery and broccoli and I would chow down on them just as happily as biscuits (cookies) and chips and chocolate. It didn't really matter what I ate, I just wanted food.

I think a previous poster mentioned teaching your daughter to slow down and eat food for taste - so she'll learn 'fullness' or 'satiety' signals - is a good idea. And the water instead of food, in case she's dehydrated.

Other than that, keep consulting with your GP (family doctor). If you're not happy with how they're brushing your concerns off, consider getting a second (or third) opinion, if you feel there may be a hormonal or metabolic imbalance that isn't being recognised or even considered for testing.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I also was exactly the same as your daughter at that age, and also had the jeans issue!!!I wasn't able to find jeans that fit well until my teen years! Now I'm dealing with the same issue with my Son.he's 9, and weighs 102.but his doctor is not concerned with it much at all, he said it fits with his growth patterns and family height /weight History. So I'm just trying to keep an eye on his snacking and making sure he gets plenty of exercise. We've Been making sure he gets at least 60 mins of outdoor playtime a day and making sure there isn't much junk food in the House. As my Son will just eat and eat and eat, constantly!!I was the same way so I guess it's just a family lifestyle change for us. But your welcome to send me a request and I'll support you! :-)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Other than talking to your Doc, which has already been suggested, how about encouraging the rest of the family to eat healthier snacks. Plus if everyone else is snacking all the time, you can't blame her for wanting to do it too. She's learning by what she sees. If healthier options are available, and in site/reach, everyone may be more likely to reach for them, instead of the higher calorie snacks. Learn how to make healthier, lower calorie foods, that taste good, and try to engage her in some physical activity. That way you can both get some exercise in. I was very overweight as a kid, and teasing, or making me feel bad about it never helped. Looking back, I think if my Mom would have approached my weight as a health/educational thing, it would have helped. If only I knew then what I know now. Make sure fruits and veggies are available, and put up the higher calorie foods, but allow her to have them from time to time, maybe a couple times/week. ;)
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    My step-daughter just turned ten years old, is 4'3" and her last doctor weigh-in was 100 pounds. Her biological family has a history of obesity though (her grandmother and aunt live with her and her other mother and they are all severely overweight). She also likes fruits and veggies and when we go out she drinks water with lemon, but she is a total grazer with food as well. She loves goldfish crackers but I have resorted to buying the 1 oz snack bags because she will eat a normal sized bag in one sitting! So, I hear ya.

We limit junk food in the house (organic tortilla chips and yogurt are the only "snack" foods that come to mind) so she has to eat fruit or prepare something (and it's either pb & j or raisin bran crunch - only cereal she will eat). We have a Wii with the balance board, and recently purchased a stair stepper with resistant bands per my doctor's suggestion. She loves the Wii Fit and will play Just Dance 4 for a good hour.

I am trying to teach her portion control and serving sizes and "eat this, not that". She has just started drinking soda after 10 years, but she is limited to one a day (one bottle, or one glass if we are at a restaraunt - no refills). I think it is like someone else mentioned, that she will eat and eat regardless of what you give for food. I am trying the route of explaining serving sizes and how many calories she should be aiming for vs eating my whole kitchen. She seems to be getting it. She is very much into watching The Biggest Loser so I am lucky that she is not tuning me out just yet. I, like you, don't want to give my child a complex and want to attack from the 'healthy' standpoint not tell her she needs to lose weight..
  • berrieblu
    berrieblu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ok, i think you've been given lots of good advice already. but, as someone who has worked with children, and who intends to become a teacher, if you think there's any chance she is regularly getting extra food from other kids at school, it's totally appropriate to shoot her teacher and e-mail or give her a call and ask if she's ever noticed it. things like that shouldn't be allowed anyway, and i'd certainly ask the teacher to be discreet about keeping an eye on her at snack time, but she wouldn't be the first child to steal/beg/trade with other students for food. most school's will have rules against this anyway due to children with dietary restrictions.

also, whether her weight is currently a problem or not, a desire to eat non-stop may be a sign of a medical or emotional problem. and it certainly could cause her weight to become a problem when she gets older if it isn't something that she will outgrow.

someone also mentioned the weight gain being a precursor to puberty, and even at 7, that is certainly a possibility. if she is developing breasts, the possibility of this being the issue (or part of it) is significantly higher. girls with a higher body fat percentage than "normal" tend to reach puberty earlier as well. girls generally reach menarche about 2 years after their breasts start to develop, and it's estimated that around 10% of girls in the US start to menstruate by age 10. although if this is what's going on, it's less a "problem" than it is "something to prepare for". the average age of menarche seems to be dropping due to a combination or dietary and environmental factors, but if you or either of her grandmother's started menstruating at a young age, the chances that she will enter puberty earlier than "normal" is much higher.

i hope everything turns out alright for her!