Is 1500 Calories too much?

Options
How do you determine the number of calories you should be eating to lose weight? I've been using 1500, but I've been wondering if that's too much. I am currently 258, 5'2", age 33.

Replies

• emerald73
    emerald73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi ya. I'm 224 and 40 years of age. I was wondering the same re 1500 cals being too much......but it's really hard to stick to, especially if u enjoy a glass of red on an evening!
  • kungfujohn15
    kungfujohn15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You have to start somewhere........
    I started on 1500 a day and currently on 1290 after a few months.
    Its worked for me so far.
    Good luck
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    How did you decided on 1500 calories?
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    go to my home then goals. weight and height and how much you want to lose per week and let calculate for you. its a start
  • Elisette
    Options
    Like the previous poster said, you can use MFPs tools to calculate that. I think 1500 is very reasonable, I'm starting at about 1800 and have lost a few pounds, albeit slowly. But I've stuck with it because I'm not so hungry I'm getting in a foul mood or anything. In another week or so, I'll probably drop to 1700, and/or up the exercise to get my net calories lower.

My theory on it is that you can't start out at 100%, you have to move from first gear to second, etc.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant now so eating 1800, but before I was on 1500. I'm 5'6 and I weighed 154lbs.

I worked mine out using TDEE - 20% and then reduced it a bit. With that method you don't eat back exercise calories.

I would have thought that at 258lbs 1500 calories should be ok. I started off on 1200 calories before I joined MFP, but actually found I lost weight more effectively when I increased to 1500.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    First you should calculate your BMR and make sure you are not eating under that. It is really harmful to your body to eat below your BMR. Then to lose I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20%. You can find calculators all over the interwebz by using google.
  • Carmenbraun55
    Carmenbraun55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Look for the" In Place of a Roadmap" posts in the forum, it explains everything and gives you a real idea how much you need to eat to loose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I don't have the road map in my clipboard at the moment but I do have

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Both these should be helpful. 1500 is most definitely not too much. I'm 5'3.5" 121 lbs and I have to eat more than this or I lose too much weight, even without exercise and just taking care of my kids. I would always aim on the higher end of calories, give it a few weeks of consistent logging and whatever exercise. Then go from there.
  • amindyleigh
    amindyleigh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It depends on what the 1500 calories consists of. If you are losing on 1500 cal keep it up! If you aren't losing than take a look at what you are eating.

Does the 1500 consist of alot of sugars and starchy foods or alcoholic drinks?
    If it's not working for you try increasing your protein and decreasing your carbs.

I am doing 1500 cal per day as well, but I am following a keto diet. I lose a minimum of a lb a day and my diet is basically lots of fat and moderate protein, low carb. i'm never hungry and the fat make carb craving disappear.

Either way..best of luck to you!!
  • Alliegeex
    Alliegeex Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recommend using this calculator.

http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal

You put in your current weight, goal weight, height, age and all that jazz and it tells you how much you should be eating to get to your goal weight. I've found MFP to be an unreliable source when it comes to the amount of calories I should be eating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Good luck

What??? As a man the minimum calories you should be consuming is 1600 Net. And now that you don't have a lot left to lose you should be aiming to lose 0.5lbs/week, eat man, if not you risk a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not fat
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    do you work out? That will also determine your intake!
  • TinyBriony14
    Options
    The more you weigh, the more calories you burn just moving around. You should use a TDEE calculator to determine what your BMR is and you should not eat below that. For someone of your kind of size I would have thought you should be eating more like 1700, but there are loads of TDEE calculators on the internet, and it will depend on your physical activity level also.

Remember it is harmful and unhelpful to lose weight rapidly by eating under your BMR as these are the calories that your body needs just to be alive and carry out its basic functions.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    At this point I've told MFP I want to lose a pound per week and I have a 1490 calorie budget. I would prefer to eat a little bit more than that so I exercise 6 days a week for extra calories and therefore extra food. Plus I actually enjoy the exercise I get, except for burpees, nobody likes burpees, but I would like to be able to do 30 at a time. Today I shall do 20 and add one a day to my total until February.
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1500-1600 and Im way lighter than you(138). I still lose a lb a week. If you're not losing on that, you might need to start weighing food.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 206 and I am 5'4, my limit is 1600 but I never actually get that, normally it is around 1500. I have lost 11 pounds in 35 days. I don't eat exercise cals back either, I am doing the TDEE - 20% method.

1500 should be fine.
  • tia45217
    tia45217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I went to doctor recently and she told me 1400 cal a day is what is required to lose weight. Ive been sticking to that...
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    First you should calculate your BMR and make sure you are not eating under that. It is really harmful to your body to eat below your BMR. Then to lose I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20%. You can find calculators all over the interwebz by using google.

This! I'm 5'6", 214lbs, 41 and work out 6 days a week and am eating 1900 cals a day and losing around 1.5lbs a week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Good luck

What??? As a man the minimum calories you should be consuming is 1600 Net. And now that you don't have a lot left to lose you should be aiming to lose 0.5lbs/week, eat man, if not you risk a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not fat

(You beat me to it. I was going to ask if he was only 3 feet tall or something. )

kungfujohn15:

Yes, 1600 net is a *MINIMUM* for an adult male. You are risking losing muscle mass at anything less than that. Also, I see your profile says you are 44. As men age, their testosterone levels dip. So it will be even harder for you to rebuild the muscles you are losing.