Is 1500 Calories too much?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Those TDEE numbers are wrong. It's in the 1700-1800 range for "lightly active".

I suspect they are not accounting for lean body mass in their TDEE calculation, try the one at IIFYM.com.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You could probably get away with eating more. Your activity level will play a role in how much you should be eating.

To me 1500 is way low for your size. I'm 5'3, size 0 (sorry I don't weight myself because scales are BS), and I eat about 1900 a day and that's on a cut. So eat more.

:laugh:

I just posted on another thread how clothing sizes are BS. Zero means "none, nothing, nada." It isn't a size at all. I always that that was the dumbest thing ever to create a clothing size called "zero." :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

Ok, feel better about yourself? I'll rephrase that, my jeans are size 23 and 24.

I've always felt wonderful about myself. Lack of self-esteem has *never* been an issue for me....ever. I just think it's dumb to label clothing as a size nothing.

"What size do you wear?"

"None."

:laugh:
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am also going to go with the 'not enough' camp.

I found the recommended calorie on MFP to be too 'one size fits all' for my liking. I subsequently found a calculator that has really helped a lot and it's also based on BMR and TDEE - it works the numbers out for you based on your height, weight, age and how much you exercise (a plus for me as I don't actually like to work out anything!!!).

Soooo, by entering your stats in with exercise of 3 times a week (at least 20 mins of elevated heart rate), it says that to lose weight, you should be eating 1844 for fat loss and 1792 for extreme fat loss (edited to add - you should not eat back your exercise calories by using this site - estimate what you do and make sure you get that amount each week - you'd also need to change your settings in MFP to customize your caloric goal each day to what is recommended by the site and periodically revisit the site as your weight goes down as your recommended intake will decrease as you lose weight).

For me, I started using this site a couple of weeks ago and have lost over 7lbs. I am not hungry and I feel satisfied. I do however tend to eat 50 calories below what it states for regular 'fat loss'. 'Extreme fat loss' is not recommended by the site.

Here is the site: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Good luck :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...it works the numbers out for you based on your height, weight, age and how much you exercise (a plus for me as I don't actually like to work out anything!!!).

If those are the only inputs, the numbers produced will not be appropriate for obese individuals as they do not account for body fat.
  • acassanova
    acassanova Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    NO! it isn't too much at all!!! I am currently 202 I am 5'5 and I have done a lot of different diets...
    I have lost my weight before but I hit some struggles and wasn't able to work out...
    even just a little walk is somewhere to start...
    I know this may some crazy and people wont believe me.. but I eat between 1600-1900 calories!!!! and im telling you hun it works!!!
    I have been dropping weight daily!!! I Agree that 1500 is not enough calories...
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ...it works the numbers out for you based on your height, weight, age and how much you exercise (a plus for me as I don't actually like to work out anything!!!).

If those are the only inputs, the numbers produced will not be appropriate for obese individuals as they do not account for body fat.

Does MFP account for body fat? I thought the weight stat was meant to be an indicator of that?
  • patyeomans
    patyeomans Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went to my health provider and had my metabolism tested. It's really simple to do and there was no charge. The evaluation tells you how many calories your body uses at a resting weight and how many calories your body needs to maintain or lose weight.
    I am 53 years old, 5'5", 257 lbs. and my needs 1500 calories per day to lose weight.
    Check with your health care provider. Information is an awesome tool. Good luck
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I suspect they are not accounting for lean body mass in their TDEE calculation, try the one at IIFYM.com.

I am sedentary and I had my TDEE tested and it is between 1000 - 1100.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

And my BMR was 801 - 911 but online calcs said it was 1500 - 1800
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP to be an unreliable source when it comes to the amount of calories I should be eating.

Same. I calculated my TDEE and eat under that for weight loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've found MFP to be an unreliable source when it comes to the amount of calories I should be eating.

Same. I calculated my TDEE and eat under that for weight loss.

Yeah, when I joined, MFP wanted me on 1500 to lose, and I just about starved. I found "In Place of a Roadmap" and "Eat more to Weigh Less" on here and bumped up to 1800. I was actually able to complete my workouts at 1800. Now that I am lifting weights, I am eating between 2000-2300 and improving my body composition. I will never try to eat like a bird again. 1500 calories is like bare minimum for someone who *doesn't exercise* at all, but is not enough for an active lifestyle.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

And my BMR was 801 - 911 but online calcs said it was 1500 - 1800

You might try to gradually become more active. Start with short walks, then gradually increase. Becoming more active will help. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Using IIFYM, I am lightly active, and my TDEE is actually 2550. When I was still aiming for two pound per week, I was eating 1800. I am 5'4, 39yrs, and my starting weight was 274. I was actually averaging 2.2 pounds per week, for about 8 months or so. Now that I am lifting and focused on body recomp instead of the scale, I am eating closer to maintenance. I eat to fuel my body.

It seems like you are trying to imply that a "morbidly obese" person ought to eat like a bird. That isn't the case unless someone has metabolic damage or some other medical condition. (Unless I am misunderstanding you?)
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think you should up it a bit for two reasons. 1. I don't think it's enough for your size and 2. You're struggling with sticking to it. Increase it to a rate that you're still losing but feel comfortable eating in that range. Weight loss is hard as it is but we don't need to eat like a bird and make it worse. I'm on 1,500..I'm 5'5 and 182 pounds. I also eat back my exercise calories and have been losing every week. Find somewhere in the middle that you can do long term.
  • jackie4864
    Options
    I used MFP (Goal) and entered my weight, height, weight lose goal and it told me to eat 1740 calories per day. Within the last 2 weeks I have lost 7 lbs. I also get calories back when I workout. So far, I have not eaten 1740 calories per day yet. I eat less than that amount and drink plenty of water.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 234lbs I am 5'4" and 44.. I believe I was eating 1800 cals or so...
    now that I am using my bodymedia fit it says I should be eating about 1900... MFP had me down to 1600..
  • zapinkleopard
    Options
    check out caloriesperhour.com and it will give you a really accurate assessment. Reassess with every ten pounds you lose.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You have to start somewhere........
    I started on 1500 a day and currently on 1290 after a few months.
    Its worked for me so far.
    Good luck

HOLY SHT...

I'm cutting right now at 2280 calories a day and I'm losing a pound a week. When you plateau I couldn't imagine you dropping your calories anymore, but hey to each his own.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Like many people on here have said you should figure out your TDEE and take off 20%
    My stats were close to yours, I am 34, 5'3" started out at 270lbs, currently at 197lbs and I eat at least 1700 per day. So no 1500 is not too much. It does depend on how much you exercise though so figure out your TDEE and it will be a much easier journey!:drinker:
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'M 5'2 AND 33YO , i do between 1400-1600 a day. usually try to stick to 1500. not sure what site i used to calculate it on but it has been working for me. first week lost 5.8