Switching to Stronglifts - muscle gain or just strength?

Options
I'm considering switching to Stronglifts as I'm currently doing full body workouts three times a week.

I know that the SL routine increases your strength greatly, but does it increase muscle mass along with strength? Obviously, calorie intake is a big factor but the routine almost seems too good to be true!

Replies

• cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it on a deficit right now - have gone from nothing to 95kg deadlift, 52.5 squat, 55kg row and 35kg overhead press since the end of november - so only 7/8 weeks (I did nothing over christmas)

I am stronger - no doubt about that.

I have lost some fat - as I was anyways, as I ran few times a week

The muscle definition I have now is miles better than it was and I have put some muscle on - but not a lot. My weight is still dropping though it is getting slower..

The temptation to eat more to gain more muscle is there....must resist (for now)

edit to add - I am now 12st5 ish/79kg and 5ft11 -
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to do this, I think.

I'm 11st 12 (166), 5ft 8, 39 years old and currently on 2900 cals a day, although I'm gradually losing so I might need to up my cals soon,
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend it. If your following the program and increasing strength, while on a surplus, the gains will come, no doubt. The beauty with this strength training that it works great for weight loss, weight gain, maintenance, everything.

Pick up heavy things and put them down!
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    I highly recommend it. If your following the program and increasing strength, while on a surplus, the gains will come, no doubt. The beauty with this strength training that it works great for weight loss, weight gain, maintenance, everything.

That's what appeals to me, big basic compound lifts. I wish I'd have done something like this in my 20s instead of bro splits with obligatory leg day skippage.

And Rashad Evans! Good photo, man! :happy:
  • steve0820
    Options

That's what appeals to me, big basic compound lifts. I wish I'd have done something like this in my 20s instead of bro splits with obligatory leg day skippage.

I hear ya brother!! Almost 32 years old now, I wish someone would have told me that back when I was 21, when I was doing the old BB workouts, 6 days a week split/2 hour sessions. Sure I got results, but nothing like what this kind of strength training has done for me.

Thanks! :) Just hate how small he makes me look hahaha, considering he started his career as a Heavyweight, and is a pretty big LHW now.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You will gain muscle on SS assuming your nutrition is on point, but it isn't the optimum way to do so.

I hear ya brother!! Almost 32 years old now, I wish someone would have told me that back when I was 21, when I was doing the old BB workouts, 6 days a week split/2 hour sessions. Sure I got results, but nothing like what this kind of strength training has done for me.

Thanks! :) Just hate how small he makes me look hahaha, considering he started his career as a Heavyweight, and is a pretty big LHW now.

Way back on TUF 2. I assume you've seen it. Rashad is a great fighter and he is looking good of late.

That said, I did want Chael to win.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Strength gains at deficit, strength and muscle gain at surplus:)

It is a great programme, you'll love it.

ETA: definitely not too good to be true, I managed to go from 0kg - 60kg squat and 40kg - 90kg deadlift, at deficit before stalling out and upping cals. No personal experience (of any significant) hyper trophy on it but have seen posts from plenty who have.
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    This will be SO on once I'm over this bug and I'm back out of bed!
  • steve0820
    Options
    You will gain muscle on SS assuming your nutrition is on point, but it isn't the optimum way to do so.

Way back on TUF 2. I assume you've seen it. Rashad is a great fighter and he is looking good of late.

He has looked good lately. When that pic was taken, it was before the Lil Nog fight, and there was even talks of him going down to 185, which I think would be tough.

Chael only gets motivated to fight guys he doesn't respect, the Rashad fight was tough for him, just like the Stann fight. But Andy and Wandy on the other hand hahaha
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    It basically boils down to volume and time under tension. You will have newbie gains (strength and muscle) if you are still early on in your training or had trained before and coming back into the game regardless of being in a surplus or deficit, but those gains are short lived. A caloric deficit will be a tailwind and make things tougher, especially gaining muscle as there is no surplus to build muscle with...but that's not to say you still cannot get stronger. I have been in a caloric deficit for over a year and have gone from being able to squat 135lbs for 5 reps to squatting 370lbs for 5 reps. 5x5 (for 25 total reps) programs will build both strength and(then) muscle its just the higher volume reps ranges, say *3-5 sets of 8-12 (24-60 total reps) reps shift the "priority", if you will, to building muscle (assuming your eating in surplus) and(then) strength due to the additional volume and time under tension.

Trust me, there is a lot of muscle on those power lifters that work in that lower rep and set range, but its covered by fat, so stick with the 5x5 to get strong as you can and then if you choose to go with a muscle building program later on, you will be able to move some weight which will get you better results when you up the volume and reps.

*Note: I put the lower end set and rep range as you would normally do that range for isolation muscles like biceps, triceps, etc... and not major muscle groups like chest or back or legs which need more sets/reps and thusly more volume to grow better.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Central nervous system adaptation only lasts for so long, so really once you become proficient at the lift you'll have to build muscle to meet the demand or strain you're placing on your body.

If you're newer you can meet this demand, by improving the mechanics of the lift and neural adaptation which don't involve muscle gains.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    From my experience, a little bit of both but mostly strength gains :) good luck!
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    So this is only a short term routine? Move onto another routine after 12 weeks? What would be the best routine for muscle growth to move onto afterwards?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It basically boils down to volume and time under tension. You will have newbie gains (strength and muscle) if you are still early on in your training or had trained before and coming back into the game regardless of being in a surplus or deficit, but those gains are short lived. A caloric deficit will be a tailwind and make things tougher, especially gaining muscle as there is no surplus to build muscle with...but that's not to say you still cannot get stronger. I have been in a caloric deficit for over a year and have gone from being able to squat 135lbs for 5 reps to squatting 370lbs for 5 reps. 5x5 (for 25 total reps) programs will build both strength and(then) muscle its just the higher volume reps ranges, say *3-5 sets of 8-12 (24-60 total reps) reps shift the "priority", if you will, to building muscle (assuming your eating in surplus) and(then) strength due to the additional volume and time under tension.

Trust me, there is a lot of muscle on those power lifters that work in that lower rep and set range, but its covered by fat, so stick with the 5x5 to get strong as you can and then if you choose to go with a muscle building program later on, you will be able to move some weight which will get you better results when you up the volume and reps.

*Note: I put the lower end set and rep range as you would normally do that range for isolation muscles like biceps, triceps, etc... and not major muscle groups like chest or back or legs which need more sets/reps and thusly more volume to grow better.

This.

I haven't done this program but since Lyle McDonald is one of the best out there it's probably good.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I've been doing SL on a deficit, and I love the simplicity of the program and how fast it is. I've had to deload to work on form, as form's going to be key to progressing and building strength and mass.

I'm often entertain by a lot of the guys lifting at the gym who do splits and lots of isolation work. Besides that their form is terrible when they do try the big lifts, they're there before me and still going when I leave. And on Fridays I'm at the gym twice (lifting in the morning, cardio in the afternoon), and one guy was there both times. Again, longer than me. Yuck.
  • auddii
    Options
    So this is only a short term routine? Move onto another routine after 12 weeks? What would be the best routine for muscle growth to move onto afterwards?
    It's set to be a "12 week program", but that I think is mostly so he can market it as a program. I've been doing it for a year or so. It seems like most people say to stick with it until you stop seeing gains, then consider an intermediate program (Wendler and Mad Cow are thrown around a lot, but I have no experience with intermediate programs yet).
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    Cool. The madcow 5x5 sounds like the most logical progression.
  • GradatimFerociter
    Options

He has looked good lately. When that pic was taken, it was before the Lil Nog fight, and there was even talks of him going down to 185, which I think would be tough.

Chael only gets motivated to fight guys he doesn't respect, the Rashad fight was tough for him, just like the Stann fight. But Andy and Wandy on the other hand hahaha

Yea Chael even said after the fight that hen does all his best work at 185. Rashad isn't an undersized 205er at all I think he has a good chance of making a run at the title though I can't really see him beating JJ.

Chael beat the snot out of AS for so much of that first fight - I would really have liked to see him as champ even if just for a short while. Still, his talents have opened so many other doors for him at this point.

It is very easy to like Rashad, especially after seeing him coach against Rampage who, while interesting, is not that easy to like.

Still - my favorite fighter is probably Roy Nelson. I'm jumping on the Hunt Vs Nelson wagon but I think Hunt has bought himself another top fight after drawing with TRT Bigfoot.
  • GradatimFerociter
    Options

There is no reason to attach a limit to it. Eventually you will stop being able to progress even after a deload or two and then you can look for another program. Or if you just find it boring. Some people get a lot of mileage from SS as long as they don't try to ego lift and end up 1/4 squatting, and even then with far more weight than they can manage.

You can acquire a copy of the book if you like - it is worth a read.
  • auddii
    Options

There is no reason to attach a limit to it. Eventually you will stop being able to progress even after a deload or two and then you can look for another program. Or if you just find it boring. Some people get a lot of mileage from SS as long as they don't try to ego lift and end up 1/4 squatting, and even then with far more weight than they can manage.

You can acquire a copy of the book if you like - it is worth a read.
    Agreed. And after several deloads, SL suggests switching to 3x5 as part of the program progression. An intermediate program will stop linear progression, so cutting an initial program short too early, you'll just miss out on a lot of potential gains.