How do you sweeten your oatmeal?

Options
1235»

Replies

• roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    Am I the only person that gags on sweet oatmeal? For me, it's perfect with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of salt. My kids think I'm crazy - they love milk and honey every time, but I love mine savory!

I think this is quite normal in Scotland (and it would be cooked with only oats, water and salt), it's not to my taste though.

I don't think a little sugar is wrong, OP will probably use less sugar than what's in a packet of instant oats.

I like this recipe: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/10/how-to-cook-perfect-porridge (I use whatever oats I have and don't bother toasting them, who has time for that?).
  • elisegarraway
    elisegarraway Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    * Cinammon! (with or without banana)
    * Bee pollen!
    * apples diced up really small with a few sultanas thrown in for good measure

And add some chia seeds to your oats!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I like steel cut oats with brown sugar and cinnamon and big chunks of apple on top made in the crock pot.

I usually sweeten my regular oatmeal with honey, agave, or white sugar.
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried savory oatmeal? I LOVE oatmeal (I buy Bob's Red Mill gluten-free steel cut), but absolutely HATE (yes, hate) it sweet. I put a pinch of salt when it's cooking, then in my bowl I add a soft or medium boiled egg and about a teaspoon of butter. Growing up this is how my mom made it, and I've gotten my little boys and boyfriend hooked on it too. Try it!!!
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I add blueberries to mine and a package of sugar substitute. You can also add cinnamon which is good for you.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and half a banana!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Demarara sugar.
  • jlbwcu
    jlbwcu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if you can spare the calories ,
    1/2 serving of almond butter works wonders.

I also use 1/2 serving honey , 1/2 serving of ground flax seed and either a zero calorie vanilla or caramel flavoring
    with blueberries.

i usually do not use all of those , but I mix and match to taste
  • adockins1
    Options
    stevia/ cinnamon with up to a cup of blueberries
  • leaner426
    Options
    When I make Quaker Oats plain oatmeal in the microwave I add in frozen blueberries and cut the amount of water I use. Then if I want it sweeter I add a little maple syrup or brown sugar. Alternatively I make the plain oatmeal then add a tablespoon of peanut butter. The heat melts the peanut butter and there is so much sugar in it you don't need more sweetener, but you've added some protein and good fats.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal in soy milk or skim milk. Both are flavorful :)
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I add Sweet-n-Low and two scoops of PB2 and it taste just like a Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookie!!!!