Hair care and exercise

Options

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    So here's a question for people who only shampoo once a week or less...in total seriousness, doesn't your hair start to smell like food?

I didn't was my hair for 3 or 4 days (I had just colored it and read to go a couple of days without washing). My hair smelled like every dinner I had cooked for those days. The tofu curry night was especially pungent.

That's really funny - I just cooked a huge batch of curry tonight. And yep, I'll be washing my hair when I shower tonight!

Unless I'm cooking something *particularly* strong-smelling, then no, it's not an issue. A lot of my cooking is Asian, Mexican, or Italian, and for whatever reason, I don't notice the smells lingering in the house like curries. Oh, and bacon. If there is mass bacon-cooking, there must be hair-washing.

That said, I've got thick curly hair that goes past my shoulders. Tends to be dry, so gotta take care of it. When it's short? All bets are off & it really doesn't matter how often it gets washed or if conditioner's used.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair usually twice a day,,my job requires it or I would smell like a big wet dog,,(groomer) I use Paul Mitchell and John Frieda products..dont have any problems with dry hair or scalp..I do use about once a week a product called "pepi" its show conditioner made for horses,,yes I use it on my horses also but was so impressed with it on them I tried it on myself,,but only use it overnight when I am staying home because it looks greasy on humans until you wash it out,but it smells amazing and works really well.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair about once every week or two weeks. No i dont have a problem with odors....Not that Ive noticed or anyoones told me!!! I do however rinse it thoroughly every day.
  • vagabondgoddess
    vagabondgoddess Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair sorta curls but mostly straight. The curls/spirals are gentle. I have to wash my hair everyday or it looks greasy. I have blonde hair so literally on the second day it will start turning brown and greasy. Gross! Actually my hair can start greasing up after about 8 hrs.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A little fyi...the sebaceous glands(oil producing glands) in your scalp will over react if you wash your hair too often, making your scalp oilier than it normally would be. Same with the face. Try washing it every other day at first, then try every two days. I wash mine about every 4 days or so, sometimes once a week
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    During the week I wear my hair straight but as I gym 5-6 times a week it does lose the straightened look so i wash it only max twice a week (sometimes only once) and put curls in it so it doesn't look too unwashed.

I wear a plait or pony tail mid height at gym

If I am desperate I will use Dry Shampoo or simply rinse my hair with cold water.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    For those who use dry shampoo, can anyone recommend a dry shampoo that won't give dark hair a grayish, powdery look? I've tried several dry shampoos from low-end to higher-end and it always makes my hair look powdery. My hair is a dark brown color with a bit of red highlighted throughout.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    My hair doesn't really get sweaty??? I just put it up. I wash about 2-3x per week
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have about butt-length hair (should i call it hip length? eh, whatever) and this is what i do.

I shampoo 3 times per week (about every 3 days) and i wash with just water on the days i don't shampoo. I invested in a boar bristle brush to move the sebum (yummy hair oils from your scalp) from root to tip of my hair. I also add some coconut oil to the tips of my hair every now and then when they are feeling dry.

I avoid all kinds of heat on my hair, although it does look super badass straightened or curled.

After a few weeks my hair went from being greasy to just leveling out with oil and dryness.

Oh yeah, and the shampoo and conditioner i use is pureology (sulfate free) and it is absolutely wonderful. :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wash my Hair 2x a week, Monday and Friday. I Zumba MWF.I keep my hair in a french braid and while i work out and even though its a little gross on Wednesday right after Zumba it is fine after it dries. If I still feel a little bleh, I spritz it with some body splash or water.

I have A LOT of hair (and still growing!) so I wash it only twice a week so that the natural oils have a chance to get to the tips. Also I take a supplement that has a lot of biotin in it on a daily basis to keep my hair healthy.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my hair every day, more like every other day or slightly longer. Finding the right products makes a difference. My hair is below my shoulder blades, blond, slightly curly. It needs moisture/oils. My fav product which I use after towel-drying is Carol's Daughter Monoi. I also like to use a detangling spray at that time. When I'm hanging out at home, I twist it up onto my head, and that helps to keep it fresh for a longer period of time. I am beginning to experiment with homemade silk pillowcases and headwraps for sleeping (to keep it from breaking, and keep it fresher overnight).
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair sorta curls but mostly straight. The curls/spirals are gentle. I have to wash my hair everyday or it looks greasy. I have blonde hair so literally on the second day it will start turning brown and greasy. Gross! Actually my hair can start greasing up after about 8 hrs.

I'd say it gets greasy that quickly because you wash it so often.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to use dry shampoo, now I just use talc powder. Does the same thing but SO much cheaper.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I used to use dry shampoo, now I just use talc powder. Does the same thing but SO much cheaper.

How do apply the talc powder?
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would love to try not washing my hair everyday. I am going to give some of these tips a try.

But what to do on the days I swim?? FYI I try to swim every week day and sometimes on the weekend? Which is a main reason why I wash my hair everyday, I cant stand smelling like pool chemicals.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    For those who use dry shampoo, can anyone recommend a dry shampoo that won't give dark hair a grayish, powdery look? I've tried several dry shampoos from low-end to higher-end and it always makes my hair look powdery. My hair is a dark brown color with a bit of red highlighted throughout.

My fav dry shampoo is from tigi. I believe its catwalk, its in a tall black can with silver writing. I recommend it to all my clients. Its also good for adding texture to hair, but doesn't make it look like you have gray hair
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I would love to try not washing my hair everyday. I am going to give some of these tips a try.

But what to do on the days I swim?? FYI I try to swim every week day and sometimes on the weekend? Which is a main reason why I wash my hair everyday, I cant stand smelling like pool chemicals.

Swimming cap. If you cant use one for some reason, you can rinse your hair out with water and use conditioner only to keep hair from drying out. If your hair starts to get discolored from the pool, you can use a marine shampoo , or there are other shampoos to treat pool hair, or you can use ketchup for a cheap back in the old says method. The acidity in ketchup takes out the discolor caused by the pool
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

How do apply the talc powder?

The easiest way is to get some in your hands and apply to roots, then shake it out. The downside is it tends to make hair look dull
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    THIS! This is such a huge problem for me! I couldn't bare not washing it after a cardio session. Dry shampoo never helped me! I have a lot of fine hair and it gets greasy very easily. I'm okay with not washing it after a weight session but if you're doing cardio and you're able to not wash and get away with using dry shampoo then more power to you!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I wash mine a lot - sometimes twice a day depending but most times I just use conditioner. I maybe shampoo twice a week but I use conditioner like shampoo the other days