Why I Am A Temporary Seahawks Fan

LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
What?? A Philly fan hopping on the Seattle bandwagon?? Yes...but only for a couple of weeks ;) Here's why:

This has been going around the interwebz for a couple of weeks now I think. This is Derrick Coleman…he’s the backup fullback for the Seattle Seahawks. And he’s been legally deaf since he was 3. This commercial he did for Duracell is flat out AMAZING!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2HD57z4F8E

See…my son was diagnosed with a moderate to severe hearing loss when he was 4 & ½. He got his hearing aids shortly after he turned 5. He’s 9 now & last year, he played his first ever season of youth football. Even though our team, coaches, players, moms, etc., is amazing, it was tough going at first. My son never uses his hearing issues as an excuse for not doing something. But he got super frustrated because he couldn’t understand the coaches and vice versa a lot of the time. He wanted to quit after the first few weeks. Then, my ex-husband came across an article on Derrick Coleman while looking for a way to keep my son’s hearing aids from falling out during games. My son loves the Seahawks (his dad got to him on that one…but there is a Philly fan lurking I assure you, LOL)…and when we showed him the article about Derrick…he was ecstatic. He couldn’t believe that someone was playing football in the NFL and was also hearing impaired…just like him. And, for his favorite team no less! Gone was the frustration from the beginning of the season…my son worked his butt off and his coaches were very impressed. They kept forgetting he was only a first year player. He can’t wait until football starts up again this year. He even wants to change his # to 40 next year & his prized possession is the Derrick Coleman jersey he got for Christmas this year. You should’ve seen him when I showed him this commercial…he said it was the coolest thing ever 

Sorry for being long winded…I guess what I really want to say is thank you to Derrick Coleman for putting his story out there. He definitely made an impact on the life of one family here in Reno.

Replies

• reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    <3
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    This is beautiful. I came here to talk smack but you've kinda got me cheering for Coleman now.

(I still hope Richard Sherman takes a football to the teeth and out the rectum... but that's for another thread).

My cousin (also one of my best buds) wore hearing aides in elementary school. He didn't exactly grow out of it, but he's less dependent than he used to be. He went on to go to Duke and majored in biomedical engineering. He's now a statistician working on cancer research and getting his PhD in that area.

I have moderate case of tinnitus. Basically, I constantly hear a high pitched ringing after I experienced a series of ear infections as a child. I also knew a past MFPer whose legally deaf (she deactivated but otherwise I'd introduce you. Fantastic person).
  • LauraMacNCheese
    This is beautiful. I came here to talk smack but you've kinda got me cheering for Coleman now.

(I still hope Richard Sherman takes a football to the teeth and out the rectum... but that's for another thread).

My cousin (also one of my best buds) wore hearing aides in elementary school. He didn't exactly grow out of it, but he's less dependent than he used to be. He went on to go to Duke and majored in biomedical engineering. He's now a statistician working on cancer research and getting his PhD in that area.

I have moderate case of tinnitus. Basically, I constantly hear a high pitched ringing after I experienced a series of ear infections as a child. I also knew a past MFPer whose legally deaf (she deactivated but otherwise I'd introduce you. Fantastic person).

Lol...yeah...I was kind of hoping this might take the spotlight off of Sherman at least for a little bit
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I came here to make a smart assed remark about not watching football, but I love this post. :drinker:
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Laura, what a very touching story!! I've been a football mom for over 15 years (my son is now playing college football). There is just something very special about seeing your child excel, whether it's in athletics or the classroom. I can only image the pride you feel for your son for what he's accomplishing!!

Kudos to him!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    I will be cheering for the Broncos in a couple weeks (Steelers fan, AFC and all) but should the Seahawks win I will be very happy for your son, as I'm sure he will be ecstatic. Great story Laura.!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    I don't watch television often but the NFL is doing a campaign for little league players to go to the Super Bowl. Your sons story sounds like it would had been an amazing candidate for that! I wish I could remember what it was called it's something pretty simple.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    I don't watch television often but the NFL is doing a campaign for little league players to go to the Super Bowl. Your sons story sounds like it would had been an amazing candidate for that! I wish I could remember what it was called it's something pretty simple.

That sounds really familiar...I want to say I've seen commercials for it at sine point. To Google!
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    I will be cheering for the Broncos in a couple weeks (Steelers fan, AFC and all) but should the Seahawks win I will be very happy for your son, as I'm sure he will be ecstatic. Great story Laura.!

Go Stillers!!! Are you from Pittsburgh Derp_Diggler?
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member

Go Stillers!!! Are you from Pittsburgh Derp_Diggler?

No just a lifelong fan
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Well, that's the best reason I've seen for rooting for the Seahawks. I'm going to let it go without any trash-talk. I think you have a great reason!

Of course, I will still be cheering for my boys in orange!
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    that is cool. I read the story about him and its awesome.

I am a broncos fan and this is all i can say about the seahawks team, one good players does not mean the entire team is great.

RichardShermanGoesNuts.jpg?resize=460%2C345
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member

I am a broncos fan and this is all i can say about the seahawks team, one good players does not mean the entire team is great.

It works both ways though... One idiot with a bad case of verbal diarrhea does not mean the entire tem ISN'T great.
  • LauraMacNCheese

True that...but conversely, Richard Sherman isn't exactly the spokesman for the Seahawks. The Seahawks are very talented...otherwise, they wouldn't have finished as the #1 seed in the NFC or advanced to the Super Bowl. So gotta give credit where it's due, yeah? :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,307 Member
    daaaaawww.

"The cure for everything is salt water-- sweat, tears, or the sea. --Isaak Dinesen"

Guess which one I'm experiencing right now?

/Seahawks fan only cuz geography. . .

. . . and Coleman, now.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member

It works both ways though... One idiot with a bad case of verbal diarrhea does not mean the entire tem ISN'T great.

however after you win again and all people talk about is what one player said. Also coming from one of the guys who is just about the face of the franchise now.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Temporary rooting for the Seahawks because the Broncos are a bunch of *kitten*.
  • LauraMacNCheese

however after you win again and all people talk about is what one player said. Also coming from one of the guys who is just about the face of the franchise now.

It was definitely not a shining moment...but the blame for this taking precedence over everything Seattle has accomplished this season lies in part with the media as well. They could've chosen to focus on something positive; but one guy running his mouth trumps everything I suppose.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member

It was definitely not a shining moment...but the blame for this taking precedence over everything Seattle has accomplished this season lies in part with the media as well. They could've chosen to focus on something positive; but one guy running his mouth trumps everything I suppose.

I became a Broncos fan for the next 2 weeks. I actually like **** Sherman. I think he is a great player and just made himself top CB money when he's up for his next contract. He will not be one of those althetes that files bankruptcy 4 years post retirement, he's to smart for that. But, it was a little much right after my heart got ripped out.

That Derrick Coleman Commercial is awesome. Gives me goosebumps.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Edit: Don't want to derail the thread...

Again glad for your son.