Squats for big bootys?

Options
All I hear about is girls who want bigger bootys starting to squat to increase their size. My question is I already have a 'shapely' bottom - should I get into doing squats or just focus on my cardio and other strength training excersizes? I would honestly be scared if mine got any bigger. lol.

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have a big butt too, but I have been using the squat machine. My butt is the same size, just a better shape and firmer. Running isn't going to do any than to develop a shapely butt.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    If you don't want it to get bigger than don't do squats.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating a caloric deficit you won't increase size anywhere, but you will probably have temporary fluid retention when you start any new exercise program.

Squats = good. Weighted squats are better.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If there was ever a time for before/after photos. THIS is the time....
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    In my experience, squats are the difference between saggy and firm.

SQUAT.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

^^ :flowerforyou:

IMO, there's no reason to not squat :wink:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I WISH I had before pics...I have after pics, but those are on my husband's phone. I'm assuming for personal use only.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

SQUAT.

Exactly.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options

SQUAT.

^ THIS. Plus lifted and rounder! Speaking from personal experience :)
  • DeltaZero
    Options

^^ :flowerforyou:

IMO, there's no reason to not squat :wink:

1 million / 10. Nice work!

tumblr_mzq3slcy9Z1qdjo2ho1_250.gif
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Doing squats while in a calorie deficit = booty gets smaller (along with the rest of you) but while still maintaining a round shape. Doing squats while in a calorie surplus = booty gets bigger. Regardless of your goals bodyweight squats won't cut it. You need to be using a fairly heavy weight.

Also, regardless of your goals, following a workout regimen that features cardio exclusively with no strength training is a bad idea.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You need food to make your butt bigger, not squats. If you're not in a surplus, you don't need to worry about this. There are a million other reasons people should be squatting.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Being a female I would say, squat, squat, squat - you don't want that booty to be jiggling around...
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I read that squats are a good way to tighten up the skin as well, not just for your booty.

www.marksdailyapple.com (my bible sight)

I say we all post pics!
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I'm definitely going to do a before/after pics. How long should I give it? This is exciting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You should get into it.

we will all thank you.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Squats x deadlifts = glorious glutes. As others mentioned, squats at a sufficient training frequency, intensity and volume while on a caloric deficit will allow you keep the volume of your butt from muscle as you reduce the excess fat around it. Any appreciable muscle hypertrophy would require a caloric surplus.
  • DeltaZero
    Options
    I'm definitely going to do a before/after pics. How long should I give it? This is exciting.

Some people here do progress photos weekly, or monthly. They definitely help a few months into making lifestyle changes to look back and see how far you have come.

Look into: The New Rules of Lifting for Women, StrongLifts, or Starting Strength
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had an ample behind before I lost weight, and I was surprised to find it was one of the first things to go...I am now, after the fact, trying to build some booty back with targeted exercise like squats, bridges, etc...wishing I had started this in the beginning!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Okay my best friend says the same. He's a boy and he lost TONS of weight before starting to squat to make his butt more muscular. His butt got bigger, but it was so flat before because he had lost most of the fat there, so it obviously increased in size because he worked out those muscles. If you've still got some fat to lose there, then I think it will surely look much better and it won't increase in size. You'll just burn the fat and exercise the muscles, I don't know if this is too semplistic but I think that every part of your body works this way. Since you can't "spot reduce" you can only burn fat and then build muscle.