Squatting and deadlifting

Options

Replies

• wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea if you never want your deadlift to really progress.

I think it's a great idea if you never want to deadlift again.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    I was curious about the newer templates for Wendler, but I didn't really know enough about it. I assume all of the Wendler stuff is in books and I don't really have any money to be buying things at the moment. Plus, won't that template still be just three days a week? I want something more frequent really.

You don't really need the book, assuming you're competent with the lifts (and shouldn't either be on a linear program or want the 5/3/1 for PL specifically). You can follow the spreadsheets on their own just fine. 2nd edition is pretty basic. There wasn't anything in there that I didn't already know coming off of Greyskull LP that wasn't in a spreadsheet somewhere.

http://www.diystrengthtraining.com/workout-spreadsheets-links/wendler-5-3-1-workout-spreadsheet/

e: 5/3/1 is usually done 4 days/week with upper/lower split but can be modified for fewer days.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options

I don't want my deadlift to progress, and I don't really mind if it causes me long term damage, as long as I can keep it up for a month or two.
  • stt43
    Options
    I was curious about the newer templates for Wendler, but I didn't really know enough about it. I assume all of the Wendler stuff is in books and I don't really have any money to be buying things at the moment. Plus, won't that template still be just three days a week? I want something more frequent really.

You don't really need the book, assuming you're competent with the lifts (and shouldn't either be on a linear program or want the 5/3/1 for PL specifically). You can follow the spreadsheets on their own just fine. 2nd edition is pretty basic. There wasn't anything in there that I didn't already know coming off of Greyskull LP that wasn't in a spreadsheet somewhere.

http://www.diystrengthtraining.com/workout-spreadsheets-links/wendler-5-3-1-workout-spreadsheet/

e: 5/3/1 is usually done 4 days/week with upper/lower split but can be modified for fewer days.

It seems like a good program, as do most of the other ones I've seen, but they are all a bit too low frequency for me I think.
    I realise it sounds idiotic, and I'm not saying that I know better than these great routines, but I know if I'm not lifting 5-6 times a week then I will just get fed up with the program I am doing, and there is no point doing a program if I am just going to get fed up with it. I could cut Wendler down to three days and then do it twice in one week, but it doesn't seem like that would be right.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I used to deadlift twice a week, but only once now.

I squat twice a week...heavy one day (5 sets 6-7 reps), light the other (4 sets 10 reps).

If you're going heavy on all those days, your CNS is gonna go to sht and your other days you're gonna feel awful and weak.

I'd stick to two days a week, three if you're doing some powerlifting program.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    Honestly, it just sounds like you don't have any experience with what that kind of training will do to you and what you're going to feel like. Everyone who lifts heavy will have ego injuries when they're new from this kind of thing, and they teach us a lot about ourselves. Making mistakes is how we learn. I've done it too, honestly, because I'm stubborn as ****. Just be safe and listen to the lesson that bar is trying to teach you if it doesn't pan out.

Or you're a genetic freak and can DL heavy every day. You can come back and be all smug about it if that's the case, haha.
  • stt43
    Options
    Honestly, it just sounds like you don't have any experience with what that kind of training will do to you and what you're going to feel like. Everyone who lifts heavy will have ego injuries when they're new from this kind of thing, and they teach us a lot about ourselves. Making mistakes is how we learn. I've done it too, honestly, because I'm stubborn as ****. Just be safe and listen to the lesson that bar is trying to teach you if it doesn't pan out.

Or you're a genetic freak and can DL heavy every day. You can come back and be all smug about it if that's the case, haha.

Lol, yeah, who knows what's possible until they try it, right?
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I don't want my deadlift to progress, and I don't really mind if it causes me long term damage, as long as I can keep it up for a month or two.

huh?
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

huh?

Agreed...huh?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

huh?

Agreed...huh?

Yeah.... I had to read this twice... huh?

OP: You're fine with possible long term injury, definite lack of progress on your lifts and probable medium term cns overtraining as long as you can get away with it for a month or so?
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a rower so my training plan always looks something like: today, I'm going to do squats, this afternoon: more squats, tomorrow morning: squats in a boat, later that day: squats... and so it goes. Squats every day... why the **** not!!
  • Safiyandi
    Options

huh?

Agreed...huh?

OP: You're fine with possible long term injury, definite lack of progress on your lifts and probable medium term cns overtraining as long as you can get away with it for a month or so?

Not really much left to say to someone with that kind of mindset other than "good luck buddy."
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about changing my routine from squatting and deadlifting twice per week to deadlifting five or six times per week, and squatting three or four times per week.
    Is this a bad idea?

p.s. I've had a hamstring injury and I'm worried that I'll re-injure it.

What are your objectives? Most people don't need (and shouldn't have) more than 2 or 3 sessions per week. Lifting weights is just to stimulate muscle growth. The actual growth happens with the right nutrition (proper protein intake) and resting (long sleeping hours and definitely not over-training).

I'm trying to improve strength rather than size. The sessions would be low volume.
    Far as I know, you don't get strength gains from low volume.
    Re your question about a 3-day squat/bench/deadlift program, that sounds like SL or SS to me. 30-45 minutes a session, three sessions a week, means you train everything three times a week.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    is this troll? Anyone who knows me I love both squats and the dead lift, but to do it that many times per week doesn't do anything. It's like watching that guy bench 135 for 10+ years.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

huh?

Agreed...huh?

Not really much left to say to someone with that kind of mindset other than "good luck buddy."
    Wait, wut? Did we get trolled? This can't be for real.
    OP, I'm sidelined right now because I hurt myself deadlifting without enough recovery time. It ain't fun. If that's really what you're after... uh, yeah, good luck. To anyone else reading this thread... please don't do stupid crap.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline? It may be right up your alley and is a tried and true program with deadlifting 5x per week. I've done frequent deadlifting myself and see no problem with it when approached the right way.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The purpose of some people is to serve as a negative role model for the rest of us.

Thanks, OP, on behalf of everybody who reads this and doesn't know any better: This is not an approach that is normal or OK in any way.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Totally cool that you don't want to get stronger, but messing yourself up in the long run by overuse is just plain stupid.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    weightlifting and physical therapy arent the same thing.

how bad is your posture and who diagnosed this?

did you read one article about APT and become a doctor?

No, I can see my posture is bad without a diagnosis. My shoulders hunch forward, my stomach sticks out, and my lower back rounds, causing my pain. I need to stretch the tense muscles and strengthen the weak ones.

More lifting isn't going to fix that- that's just going to over compensate and goon things up even more.

What you need to do is correct your posture by being aware and start opening and stretching your chest up. I do the lace the hands behind the back and gentle lift stretch every day at work- at least a half a dozen if not a dozen times a day.

nothing but good posture will fix bad posture not lifting.

But A.) you clearly already have it figured out
    and B.) you're a gigantic ....... well.. let's just say it rhymes with shmushmoron.

so none of this is going to go anywhere- even if you bother to read it.

anyone with this mentality- is just.. yeah.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I still think the following.
    1. This thread is hilarious.
    2. OP should try his way for a month and report back.