Is MFP daily calorie intake REALLY correct?

Hi, I've been following the daily calorie intake of 2300 for 9 days now, and with taking moderate exercise (30mins) and not leaving myself feeling hungry at all I am consistently about 900 calories UNDER what it allows. Surely this means it's wrong? But MFP is professional and I am just a bloke who knows nothing about weight loss, so I guess I must trust it.

But I've been talking with friends who know about nutrition and they say the system generated amount of 2,300 is stupidly high anyway. Who to trust?

Thanks for any insight...

M

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    I don't follow what MFP sets for me. I changed it to 1500 a day intake, and I changed my macros to 30 carb 35 protein 35 fat.

MFP also says my TDEE is 2700 a day lol. My doctor says it's more like 1100.

Also, I had my BMR tested and it was 801 - 911, not 1800 like it said online.

Don't trust computers, they are trying to take over the world. SKYNET! LOL
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Depending on what your goals and activity levels are, 2300 kcal/day is perfectly reasonable. To call it stupidly high without context is ridiculous.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Hi, I've been following the daily calorie intake of 2300 for 9 days now, and with taking moderate exercise (30mins) and not leaving myself feeling hungry at all I am consistently about 900 calories UNDER what it allows. Surely this means it's wrong? But MFP is professional and I am just a bloke who knows nothing about weight loss, so I guess I must trust it.

But I've been talking with friends who know about nutrition and they say the system generated amount of 2,300 is stupidly high anyway. Who to trust?

Thanks for any insight...

M

On January 17th you made a post saying that you were keeping your calories around 1000 per day, and eventually agreed based on the responses to up your calories to 1800. So how could you possibly be following a daily calorie intake of 2300 for 9 days?
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    I saw the other post too and would like to hear the answer =) Is it 1000 or 2300?
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    I also don't follow the calories or macros set by mfp... I am on 2450 kcal a day now with approx. 170-180 grams protein, 70 grams fat and 20+ grams fiber.

But you should at least provide some info about yourself before anyone can say if 2300 kcals a day fits your goals.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Just to clarify - I started out doing 5 days at about 800 calories, then I joined here and was told 800 was dangerously low, (plus I was starting to feel faint and 'high') - couldn't have maintained it long-term, so on advice from this forum I upped it to 1800, but then I filled in all the MFP data about me where it sets everything automatically based on weight, height, age, etc and it gave me a target recommended daily goal of 2,300.

I am finding it hard to eat this many calories every day if I'm eating healthily (and if I'm eating badly with mars bars and gak, then why even go on a diet in the first place? )

Hope this explains.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I don't follow what MFP sets for me. I changed it to 1500 a day intake, and I changed my macros to 30 carb 35 protein 35 fat.

MFP also says my TDEE is 2700 a day lol. My doctor says it's more like 1100.

Also, I had my BMR tested and it was 801 - 911, not 1800 like it said online.

Don't trust computers, they are trying to take over the world. SKYNET! LOL

Your are confused (or your goal is weight gain)............FIRST of all if your TDEE was 1100 calories......you would be gaining weight by eating 1500 calories. OP is not asking about weight gain.

BMR - basal metabolic rate.....calories your body would use if you were in a coma.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure .....BMR+ activity level + exercise ......in other words.....maintenance.

SECOND.......MFP gives you XXXX calories based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week"..........If a 6'5" woman puts in a rediculously high weight loss goal.......MFP spits out 1200 calories. This is NOT MFP saying it's a healthy daily calorie goal.....it's just doing math.....and setting the number at it's lowest default.

THIRD.....men have a higher default than women. Men typically have more muscle mass.....it takes calories to maintain existing muscle. If you want to lose "weight" as fast as possible....if the number on the scale is more important than fat to muscle ratio.....by all means put in a rediculously high weekly goal.

Morbidly obese people can lose 2 pounds a week ......people within 15 pounds of goal ......1/2 pound a week is more like it.

Of course MFP is using estimates.....activity level is a range......not all people has the same fat to muscle ratio (higher fat = slower metabolism)....Calorie burns for exercise are estimates......even a heart rate monitor is an estimate ........BUT MFP numbers work for most people.....provided they have supplied accurate (and sensible) information.
  • EvanKeel
    Just to clarify - I started out doing 5 days at about 800 calories, then I joined here and was told 800 was dangerously low, so on advice from this forum I upped it to 1800, but then I filled in all the MFP data about me where it sets everything automatically based on weight, height, age, etc and it gave me a target recommended daily goal of 2,300.

I would find it hard to eat this many calories every day if I'm eating healthily (and if I'm eating badly with mars bars and gak, then why even go on a diet in the first place? )

Hope this explains.

It doesn't help clarify if 2300 calories seems reasonable or not. Since we don't know about you, your activity/exercise, or what settings you chose, I'll talk about me.

I have a desk job and my goal is set to 1 lb/week loss. MFP gave me a goal of 1870. I try do some sort of exercise everyday. Sometimes it's light cardio, sometimes is weights, etc. But I try to burn at least 500 calories/day. Thus, it would be reasonable for me to consume 2300 cal/day.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    What settings did you input? What is your age, height, weight, goal weight, activity level, and desired loss per week? MFP is purely a calculator, it takes the settings you give it, calculates a predicted TDEE, and subtracts 500 calories per day for every 1lb/wk you desire to lose. That's all it does. If it's wrong it's because your settings are wrong or your metabolism is for some reason (usually due to long term dieting or a medical reason) different than the 'average' person.

Frankly, you not eating your calorie target is not an indication that the calorie target is wrong.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    @Morebean13. Hi, I'm 39yr old man, I'm 6ft 2", I currently weigh 17stones 3pounds. I am big build, I cycle 30mins 5 days a week and try to walk briskly for 30 mins a day too. This is all the info MFP asked of me.

I want to lose as much weight as possible each week in a healthy and sustainable way, I want to burn fat, not muscle. My goal weight is 13 stone. (Although the BMI calculator says I could even get down to 10stone 9pounds and STILL not be underweight - which is frankly f***ing laughable)

Everyone I respect who knows about/or have lost weight themselves is saying 2,300 is ridiculously high. I am also finding it hard to eat this many calories naturally unless I switch to cakes, bread, sweets, fatty meats, fried food, etc. So I think MFP has got it wrong. I want to know what the minimum calories I can eat every day and not burn muscle instead of fat, or put my health at risk.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    If you want to drop it to 1800, drop it to 1800. You don't have to stick with the number MFP gives you initially. MFP is going to calculate a number for you based on your size/activity/etc. and how quickly you want to lose weight. If you want to lose weight at a different rate, you can adjust the calories MFP recommends up or down manually. There is no "right" answer.
  • EvanKeel
    Everyone I respect who know about/or have lost weight themselves is saying 2,300 is ridiculously high.

Well, they're wrong.

Whether or not you can eat that much isn't something other people can comment on much. You can try to eat more calorie dense foods, anything with healthy fats. You could try adding more almonds, avocados, or peanut butter into your diet to reach that goal.

Here's the thing though. It's all guess work. The goals use statistical tables to make their suggestions, so it's an educated guess, but it's still a guess. All you can really do is log as accurately as possible and try it out.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I'm 39yr old man, I'm 6ft 2", I currently weigh 17stones 3pounds. I am big build, I cycle 30mins 5 days a week and try to walk briskly for 30 mins a day too. This is all the info MFP asked of me.

I want to lose as much weight as possible each week in a healthy and sustainable way, I want to burn fat, not muscle. My goal weight is 13 stone. (Although the BMI calculator says I could even get down to 10stone 9pounds and STILL not be underweight - which is frankly f***ing laughable)

Everyone I respect who know about/or have lost weight themselves is saying 2,300 is ridiculously high. I am also finding it hard to eat this many calories naturally unless I switch to cakes, bread, sweets, etc.

What exactly, are these people basing their opinions on? What has made them decide that 2300 is 'ridiculously high'? It might be too high for them, but believe it or not, not everyone is the same. I eat 2200 - 2400 a day and lose weight.

I just plugged your details into fat2fit and it gave me a higher amount than MFP - 2466 to lose 1lb a week. That's based on you being lightly active, which to be honest depending on how strenuous your exercise is, you may even be more than that.

You've used MFP in the way it's meant to be used, so trust it.

This thread should actually be 'what can I eat to get up to my 2300 calories a day' - the answer to which, by the way, is calorie dense foods, like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, full fat milk, and bacon double cheeseburgers.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

YOUR DATA

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 2240

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 3473 based upon moderate exercise (3-5 hours per week)

If your goal is 4.28 stone loss (about 60 pounds) a 1 to 1.5 pound a week goal would be doable....for a time. Eventually you will need to step it down some.

That would be 3473 calories less 500 ( or 750) ......2973 for 1 pound......2723 for 1.5 pounds

Getting enough calories........calorie dense foods...........nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, seeds, cheese. Also, think of this as a lifestyle change.....you aren't going to give up sweets for the rest of your life are you? I DO make room for a treat everyday.....just not the mindless snacking that I used to do.

If you plug this goal into MFP......you get a daily calorie goal WITHOUT exercise. MFP is based on zero exercise......Scooby's adds it up front......kind of nice not to worry about logging.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    i have just estimated your info based on what you've told us into scoobys workshop http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss and according to that you should be on about 2778 calories a day, thats estimating that you eat 3 meals a day and are active 3-5 hours a week with moderate exercise, have a play around on scoobys workshop yourself and see what other results you get with accurate info from yourself.
    when i first started out i was heavier than you, and went down the same path eating ridiculously low numbers, didnt work for me either lol, when i first joined this site i did the whole 1200 calories, that made me miserable so did the scoobys workshop number and ended up on about 2200, i also thought it was ridiculous, i used to eat bars of chocolate to get my calories in (never ever bothered with the macro nutrients) i'm now on about 1850ish i still pretty much eat what i want as long as it fits in with my daily calories, i'm 83lbs down, and most importantly i have learned to eat the foods that i love, that i will be eating for the rest of my life, in the correct proportions

good luck x
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

YOUR DATA

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 2240

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 3473 based upon moderate exercise (3-5 hours per week)

If your goal is 4.28 stone loss (about 60 pounds) a 1 to 1.5 pound a week goal would be doable....for a time. Eventually you will need to step it down some.

That would be 3473 calories less 500 ( or 750) ......2973 for 1 pound......2723 for 1.5 pounds

Getting enough calories........calorie dense foods...........nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, seeds, cheese. Also, think of this as a lifestyle change.....you aren't going to give up sweets for the rest of your life are you? I DO make room for a treat everyday.....just not the mindless snacking that I used to do.

If you plug this goal into MFP......you get a daily calorie goal WITHOUT exercise. MFP is based on zero exercise......Scooby's adds it up front......kind of nice not to worry about logging.

ha ha beat me to it x
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    What exactly, are these people basing their opinions on? What has made them decide that 2300 is 'ridiculously high'? It might be too high for them, but believe it or not, not everyone is the same. I eat 2200 - 2400 a day and lose weight.

I just plugged your details into fat2fit and it gave me a higher amount than MFP - 2466 to lose 1lb a week. That's based on you being lightly active, which to be honest depending on how strenuous your exercise is, you may even be more than that.

You've used MFP in the way it's meant to be used, so trust it.

This thread should actually be 'what can I eat to get up to my 2300 calories a day' - the answer to which, by the way, is calorie dense foods, like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, full fat milk, and bacon double cheeseburgers.

Good tips. :smile: I have a question... it seems like you know a good deal about this.

I just used the fat2fit calcs too. I'm 200 lbs, 5'5" about 27-28% b.f., goal b.f. 15%. Fat2fit says my goal weight is 170-172. That's pretty consistent with other calcs. It says my calories for goal of 170-172 lbs should be 2434 per day if I am "Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)". I work out pretty hard with weights 3-4x/week... BUT I sit at a desk all day. My only exercise during the day is going for coffee and pee breaks. Is that factored into the "Moderately Active" number?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    If it makes you feel better, I am 5'11, desk job, 31 years old, 185 lbs and exercise 5-6 hours a week and I lost at 2300-2500 calories a day.. So no, it's not stupid. I fuel my body to push hard during workouts and work hard to maintain my muscle mass.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    If it makes you feel better, I am 5'11, desk job, 31 years old, 185 lbs and exercise 5-6 hours a week and I lost at 2300-2500 calories a day.. So no, it's not stupid. I fuel my body to push hard during workouts and work hard to maintain my muscle mass.
    Yep, I can do even better. I'm a 5'-7" male, 52 years old, desk job, work out lightly 30 mins. 3-4 days/week.
    I can lose at 2300 kcals/day if I'm busy around the house.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    So then in these activity calculators, they mostly base it on exercise, not if we are desk jockeys. That's good.