How to handle uninvited diet advice?

Options
I just had someone at work tell me that they've noticed I've been using the treadmill during my lunches and that I really need to make sure I'm taking B12 supplements otherwise I won't have the metabolism I need to lose weight. While I'm aware that she thinks she's coming from a good place I'm still annoyed. This wasn't the first time someone has given me unsolicited advice about my workouts or eating habits and I know it won't be the last. This is my journey and I'll share it with who I want. Even if that's thousands of strangers on MFP. Maybe I just needed to vent more than anything but I was wondernig how others handle those types of situations. Do you laugh it off? Do you say thank you? Do you politely nod while daydreaming of punching the other person in the face?

Replies

• Linda09189
    Options
    don't worry about the little things in life, take there advice as a positive thing, they were just trying to help
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As with all broscience advice, just laugh it off and move along. :smile:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I just had someone at work tell me that they've noticed I've been using the treadmill during my lunches and that I really need to make sure I'm taking B12 supplements otherwise I won't have the metabolism I need to lose weight. While I'm aware that she thinks she's coming from a good place I'm still annoyed. This wasn't the first time someone has given me unsolicited advice about my workouts or eating habits and I know it won't be the last. This is my journey and I'll share it with who I want. Even if that's thousands of strangers on MFP. Maybe I just needed to vent more than anything but I was wondernig how others handle those types of situations. Do you laugh it off? Do you say thank you? Do you politely nod while daydreaming of punching the other person in the face?

You know the right thing to do.

You nod politely and smile beatifically and thank them for their input.

From time to time on mornings that I lift, I get a large breakfast. This morning it was 2 whole eggs scrambled with 10 egg whites, toast, sausage, and home fries. I was informed this morning by the pleasant Korean fellow who owns our office park deli that the reason I eat the way I do is because of parasites. Now, I figured it was part of a larger plan that I have with respect to my fitness and body composition goals. Since it is parasites, what I want to know is, how the heck did they know what my macro targets were?! He says I need to eat more probiotics to have more healthy parasites. Probiotics don't sound as tasty as sausage to me. Damned parasites, controlling my taste buds. :-(

But no more is it my job to teach him than it is his to teach me. We honor the social contract of not educating people out of context unless so solicited.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just smile, nod, and say thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I tend to say it in a sarcastic tone, and that usually wards off any other unsolicited advice.
  • FitForFunKanata
    FitForFunKanata Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes. Have been there before as well. On one hand it's nice that they want to help.. On the other hand you wish they would keep it to themselves. I usually politely tell them that I do ineded already have a plan but thanks for the tip. If they keep it up I am usually more direct .. such as.. "Thanks again for the tip but you need to never mention it again." :)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I say, "hmm...thanks." and continue what I was doing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't workout at work.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod... smile and nod...
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I say, "hmm...thanks." and continue what I was doing.

+1
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Just smile and nod and semi-listen. You never know, some of that unwanted advice might actually be good advice.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    In one ear and out the other!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod... smile and nod...

That.

Or fart in their general direction.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you, and be on your way.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Smile politely, say thank you, and continue on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    don't worry about the little things in life, take there advice as a positive thing, they were just trying to help
    THIS. While what they say may be total BS, don't let it get under your skin. Your energy is much better spent on the treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd probably say "Oh, thanks! I'll be sure to look into it!" and go about my way. I kind of view it as a "I recognize your hard work and this is all I think I know about so I'm going to contribute my knowledge" kind of thing. I think most people don't know how to just say, "Your hard work is paying off. You look great!" and just leave it at that. They want to contribute in as constructive a manner as they can to show their support.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Ask them if they're referring to methylcobalamin or cyanocobalamin and when they tell you they aren't sure, let them know you were just kidding and that you already knew they had no idea what they were talking about because you obviously get sufficient B12 from animal-source foods.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Most people really are trying to be helpful, so just take it for what it's worth and keep on doing your thing. Don't stress. :flowerforyou:

I've had family members, whom I really adore, tell me that I need to stop losing weight as it will cause my face to sink in and I will look unhealthy. I just tell them not to worry and that I'm feeling great. I don't really discuss my goals anymore as it seems to make the issue worse. For the record, I'm over 5'6" and currently weigh 155.4 lbs. It has taken me about 16 months to lose nearly 58 lbs (so it's not a quick-fix loss). My goal is 148, which is still at the higher end of the healthy range.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I go with "Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about". Then ignore.