How to handle uninvited diet advice?

Options

Replies

• alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I am guilty of doing this and recieving this myself. Let me explain. 1- doing this- I really am thinking that the person who is logging in their diary that they are eating lots of sweets but complaining about not being able to loose weight, I will say things like you may want to increase your fruits and vegatables and increase water intake. I don't bring up the sweets and throw it in their face.

2- yes, I hate it when people give tell to start taking pills. I don't want pills and to be honest I can only take in certain foods anymore. (stomach issues)

So I am guilty of both. So I guess I could punch myself. (lol)
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I usually don't tell people I'm trying to lose weight unless they ask. I hear all types of things, I just say thanks for the info and move on. I also make sure not to give out uninvited advice myself, even when someone is eating 700 calories a day and taking "green tea ketone junk".
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod b/c you never know...one day you may hear something that interests you. I have a coworker who gives me alot of advice. I ignore a lot of it, but yesterday he was telling me about a specific juicer...and we got in this long conversation where he educated me on all things juicer. I got on-line, checked it out and ordered a nice one. I'm so excited! If I had shut him down before, I would have missed out on something interesting!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I just say "hmmm...interesting"...and walk away.
  • ShortStrut
    ShortStrut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know everyone just wants to kinda jump out and say, ignore them! But I dunno, I guess I'm the opposite, I want to hear what EVERYONE has to say.

I'll store it all in my brain, maybe research it later, see if there's sound advice in it. Keep the parts that appeal to me, store away the ones that I'm not quite ready for, and trash the ones that go against some sort of personal stance, like taking pills or something, that I know I will never do or need.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    How to handle bad unsolicited advice - say 'thanks', then ignore it entirely.

How to handle good unsolicited advice - say 'thanks', then learn from it.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What's that you say?! B12??!!!

tumblr_mcxs3zdTZ81rb1gcpo1_400.gif
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod, boys...smile and nod.

th?id=H.4619659476861711&w=236&h=147&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod b/c you never know...one day you may hear something that interests you. I have a coworker who gives me alot of advice. I ignore a lot of it, but yesterday he was telling me about a specific juicer...and we got in this long conversation where he educated me on all things juicer. I got on-line, checked it out and ordered a nice one. I'm so excited! If I had shut him down before, I would have missed out on something interesting!
    This also.

You attract more flies with honey and they might know SOMEthing that could prove useful. Even if it becomes nothing more than the fact that they know you are working out and might help kick your butt to do your workout here and there on a day you might otherwise have skipped it.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For some reason this annoys me more than anything. Stay out of my diet and I will stay out of yours! Even so, I usually just say "oh that is interesting, thanks for sharing what works for you" and move on.
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Most people really are trying to be helpful, so just take it for what it's worth and keep on doing your thing. Don't stress. :flowerforyou:

I've had family members, whom I really adore, tell me that I need to stop losing weight as it will cause my face to sink in and I will look unhealthy. I just tell them not to worry and that I'm feeling great. I don't really discuss my goals anymore as it seems to make the issue worse. For the record, I'm over 5'6" and currently weigh 155.4 lbs. It has taken me about 16 months to lose nearly 58 lbs (so it's not a quick-fix loss). My goal is 148, which is still at the higher end of the healthy range.

THIS. I have family and friends say the same to me. I've learned that people are used to seeing you in a certain way, so to see you look or do something different (like being on the treadmill) they feel they need to offer advice. Like others have said, just say "thank you" and move on. They really do have your best interest at heart (even though they have no nutritionist license).

At least you have some place you can come and vent.
  • ianthamfyolek
    ianthamfyolek Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod... smile and nod...

That.

Or fart in their general direction.

Their mother must have been a hamster.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

That.

and their father ate elderberries
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

That.

and their father ate elderberries
    and doesn't like a dose english types \m/
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I just had someone at work tell me that they've noticed I've been using the treadmill during my lunches and that I really need to make sure I'm taking B12 supplements otherwise I won't have the metabolism I need to lose weight. While I'm aware that she thinks she's coming from a good place I'm still annoyed. This wasn't the first time someone has given me unsolicited advice about my workouts or eating habits and I know it won't be the last. This is my journey and I'll share it with who I want. Even if that's thousands of strangers on MFP. Maybe I just needed to vent more than anything but I was wondernig how others handle those types of situations. Do you laugh it off? Do you say thank you? Do you politely nod while daydreaming of punching the other person in the face?

Just say something like "yep, no probs all in hand" and thumbs up.

At least they aren't being spiteful or malicious, they mean well, just be gracious and continue what you are doing.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I get stuff like that all the time, from ''you shouldn't eat that bread, it will make you fat'' to '' you don't need to be a vegetarian to lose weight (IMO totally uncalled for... I being vegetarian has nothing to do with my weight loss...)''

I decided at one point to just say ''I'll keep that in mind...'', brush it off and move on.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hear this constantly, I'd personally ignore it I understand it gets frustrating. I don't see why other people make everything about them or get involved in everything.
  • phrendlynut
    phrendlynut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was nice, nodded, and replied with "Oh, okay."

Normally, I would have just let it go but for some reason today it just really bugged me. I needed to vent and I needed to vent to people who would really understand.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the input and the laughs. :happy:
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If I don't know the person at all or if I know them really well (family, boyfriend, etc) they get a "piss off!"

At work I usually enjoy chatting about health but when I get unsolicited crap they usually just get a "hey- what I'm doing seems to be working!"
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I just say something like "Cool! I didn't know that--I'll keep that in mind." I DO think that most people are just wanting to be helpful and for the most part it is coming from a good place. Heck, I'm tempted many times to preach on and on about the stuff that I like.

If they continue to talk, I try and change the subject to something else.:blushing: