Struggling to get enough cals without eating junk

Options
I am currently on a lean bulk and need to eat at maintenance or slightly above. Ridiculously I'm finding it difficult. I had a virus recently and its ****ed with my appetite. I probably get in about 2500 a day right now but I need more like 3000........

Feeling so full right now and I've only had 1700 cals today. I'll probably get in another 1000 but I'll have to add in a couple of beers or something cos otherwise I just wont hit it..

Anyone got tips? What kind of meals are people eating? Ideally id get about 1000 in breakfast alone, but that is so difficult right now :/

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    crickets
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Almond or peanut butter, olive oil when you cook, full fat dairy, salmon. A bowl of ice cream. How about some dark chocolate?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    protein shakes, cocnut oil, nuts, peanut butter, actual butter, cook everything in bacon grease, eat steak, drink whole milk

move north of vag

bacon, hamburgers, hamburgers with bacon, italian beef, american beef, sandwiches, pizza

move north of vaggy orthorexia
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, protein shake made with whole milk - just some ideas of dense and caloric foods for you.

Feel better! I always know there is something seriously wrong when I lose my appetite.
  • paddyjones2
    paddyjones2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

move north of vag

weak troll
  • MSSGAC
    MSSGAC Posts: 2
    Options
    Nuts are definitely a good option. They aren't so filling that if you grab a handful you'll notice much of a difference, but some really pack in the calories. 1/3 cup of Brazil nuts, for instance, contains 360 calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions already. Fattier meats (mmm, marbled steak...), cheese, cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes, oatmeal, heavy cream (my dad used to eat his cereal with half and half, he's trying to lose weight, but has not entirely given that up; just cuts it with milk).

And of course there are treats like candy, ice cream, cookies, etc. Allow some splurges since you're in a bulk, just don't make it the majority of your cals (since you want to avoid "junk"). Everything in moderation. More so in a bulk. :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. :bigsmile:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    There is no good or bad, there is only food. If you are hitting your calorie and macro goals, there is nothing wrong with including "junk" foods in your diet.

ETA: You will get more helpful advice if you state your goals/stats and open up your diary.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There is no good or bad, there is only food. If you are hitting your calorie and macro goals, there is nothing wrong with including "junk" foods in your diet.

ETA: You will get more helpful advice if you state your goals/stats and open up your diary.

Yup. A little junk is fine. I supplemented my dinner with two poptarts last night (420 calories) because I was a little low. Two poptarts isn't even close to filling. Make an icecream sandwich out of it if you need more calories.

I put heavy cream, butter or peanut butter in my oatmeal too. And/or I will add honey or maple syrup too. A decent bowl of oatmeal becomes 800+ calories in a heartbeat.

I'll drink sugary drinks during my workout too. Helps workout performance and is a quick way to add calories without being filling at all. 2 scoops of gatorade powder is 160 calories by itself.

Use heavier breads too, a slice of bread can be 45 calories or it can be a couple hundred for some thick, hearty stuff.

PB + Nutella sandwich on heavy bread can be 800 calories right there.
  • jordan1182
    jordan1182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with fresh fruit is a healthier and easy/inexpensive alternative to add some solid calories instead of turning to junk food.
  • paddyjones2
    Options

how do?
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Almond or peanut butter, olive oil when you cook, full fat dairy, salmon. A bowl of ice cream. How about some dark chocolate?

This is spot on. Getting to eat basically as much peanut butter as you want is one of those "problems" I wish I had.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    lean bulk? how are you doing on your protein macros? if low, i'd say protein shakes.
  • paddyjones2
    Options
    lean bulk? how are you doing on your protein macros? if low, i'd say protein shakes.

I get 150g a day. I could easily get 180+ but I think noone needs that much protein, it's overhyped in BBing.

All these shakes are ****ing with my digestion seriously badly.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I have had this issue myself. I was getting to the end of the day and finding that I had too many calories left to conceivably eat. I started pre-logging for the day. Knowing how many calories I'd have allowed me to figure out where to put in snacks so I wasn't overwhelmed at the end of the day. Then, I opted for nuts and avocados and hard cheese. I also switched from skim milk to 2%, and that has helped quite a bit.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If I had your problem (which I don't, since I'm a smallish woman trying to lose weight) I'd eat grilled cheese sandwiches, maybe with ham if that's your thing. Pasta with rich, creamy sauces. Ice cream. Cheese and cheese and cheese! Can you tell I miss the large amounts of full-fat dairy I used to eat?
  • methodman78
    methodman78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem, I added fine ground Scottish oats to my protein shakes and it adds about 350 calories per 100g, throw in some peanut butter and it really starts to add up,
    I also created some homemade protein bars, stuffed with nuts and seeds, honey and Peanut butter, they don't fill you up but get a good calorie hit.
    Good luck
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, salmon.

I eat this all the time, its delicious....http://simplyreem.com/honey-sriracha-chicken/

Get some plain greek yogurt and throw a scoop of protein in it, mine comes out to be 48g of protein.
  • paddyjones2
    Options
    I've had the same problem, I added fine ground Scottish oats to my protein shakes and it adds about 350 calories per 100g, throw in some peanut butter and it really starts to add up,
    I also created some homemade protein bars, stuffed with nuts and seeds, honey and Peanut butter, they don't fill you up but get a good calorie hit.
    Good luck

Oats in a shake? No thx jeff. That cant taste good, all liquid then just oats sitting at the bottom