Struggling to get enough cals without eating junk

Options

Replies

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Another vote for ice cream. I have found it usually works well within your macros too.
  • methodman78
    methodman78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Its ground oats designed for drinking ......

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/ultra-fine-scottish-oats.html

use them in protein pancakes,

100g oats
    30g Protein powder - Vanilla works best
    2 eggs
    100ml milk (full fat if you want calories)

blend, cook, easy
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Eat the junk then, you lucky bugger :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a lean bulk and need to eat at maintenance or slightly above. Ridiculously I'm finding it difficult. I had a virus recently and its ****ed with my appetite. I probably get in about 2500 a day right now but I need more like 3000........

Feeling so full right now and I've only had 1700 cals today. I'll probably get in another 1000 but I'll have to add in a couple of beers or something cos otherwise I just wont hit it..

Anyone got tips? What kind of meals are people eating? Ideally id get about 1000 in breakfast alone, but that is so difficult right now :/

whats wrong with 'junk'? if you have hit your protein target and got in some fruit and veg, what harm will a doughnut or a bowl of ice cream do exactly?
  • ohiowhthse
    Options
    Protein shakes with some yogurt, fruit, nuts, and almond, or soy (better choice) milk will easily add 500 calories to your diet.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has a protein drink called serious mass...
    I am thinking about trying it....
    But one serving is like 1200 calories.

For now I bought some carb powder and I add that to my protein shake, so that is 1 scoop == 100 calories.

as for whole foods, if that is the way you wish to go....
    Then things with fats (nuts, peanut butter, etc...)will help with calories....
    The only thing is make sure you are not using the nuts as your primary protein source...they have an incomplete amino profile, so there are better sources for protein...
    Dairy, chicken, fish, beef, protein shakes, etc....

But if you are hitting your basic fat and protein needs
    Then things like rice (I like steamed white rice), sweet potatoes are good sources for carbs and calories
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you are getting all of your nutritional requirements then have some wholewheat bread dipped in an olive oil/balsamic vinegar mix.

Used to be a staple pre-starter for me at a restaurant, maybe it will be again one day
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I disagree entirely with those who are saying to eat junk during a "lean bulk". I'm doing the same thing right now trying to shed fat but gain weight, and I've found that whenever I supplement my calories with junk like ice cream or mcdonalds my body will store it to fat almost right away due to the nutrient mix being so different than what I normally eat (this has to do with how your body breaks down the nutrients). Whole fat everything is always a good option as well as adding sources of good carbohydrates like oats and whole wheat pasta. Try preparing your meals ahead of time too...I roast a 5-6 pounds chicken every night and make sure its gone by the time I go to bed. Also, high cal protein shakes before bed will help too-good luck.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yoghurty smoothies? Add lots of fruit, blend with full fat greek yoghurt. Even my non-yoghurt smoothies can be about 150 calories. Add a load of dairy in there (and some ice-cream if you feel like it) and bam, you have a 300 cal very healthy drink :smile:

Edit:
    If you have champagne flutes, drink them out of that. It feels so civilised :smile:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I easily get in excess of 160g protein a day at around 1800 calories with no shakes, so struggling with 150g at 2500-3000 cals is weak. You need to work harder at eating more...

www.liftbigeatbig.com
  • amy1612
    Options
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    How about a protien shake?
    Peanut butter
    Chicken
    Turkey
  • paddyjones2
    paddyjones2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I easily get in excess of 160g protein a day at around 1800 calories with no shakes, so struggling with 150g at 2500-3000 cals is weak. You need to work harder at eating more...

www.liftbigeatbig.com

Highly doubt you need that much though. 1g per lb of bw is over the top, it's been discussed at length all over the internet. 0.8g if that is more realistic.

Every meal I eat contains a decent chunk of protein, normally 20+. I get 70g in just for breakfast. Can you give an example of what you eat at 1800 to get that much in without shakes please?

How do i open my diary aswell?
  • amy1612
    Options

Highly doubt you need that much though. 1g per lb of bw is over the top, it's been discussed at length all over the internet. 0.8g if that is more realistic.

Is this trolling? I cant tell if you're being serious or not

You open your diary by going into Food, then settings, then scroll and click 'public' on diary.

I eat 2 eggs and a slice of bacon for breakfast, mid morning chicken breast and some sweet potato and greens. Lunch is salmon, sweet potato and greens, mid afternoon a tin of tuna or tinned shrimp and evening meal is usually beef mince or chicken with rice or sweet potato and more veg.

A good way to get protein up WITH whey is to make yourself a protein yoghurt. Not very calorific, but high in protein: 170g 0% total yoghurt, 1 scoop (or 2 if you want to push it) of vanilla whey-around 35g of protein in a snack form :)
  • Obeah1
    Obeah1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes with vodka added for extra calories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I disagree entirely with those who are saying to eat junk during a "lean bulk". I'm doing the same thing right now trying to shed fat but gain weight, and I've found that whenever I supplement my calories with junk like ice cream or mcdonalds my body will store it to fat almost right away due to the nutrient mix being so different than what I normally eat (this has to do with how your body breaks down the nutrients). Whole fat everything is always a good option as well as adding sources of good carbohydrates like oats and whole wheat pasta. Try preparing your meals ahead of time too...I roast a 5-6 pounds chicken every night and make sure its gone by the time I go to bed. Also, high cal protein shakes before bed will help too-good luck.

How do you suppose the nutrients in McDonald's are processed differently than the nutrients in steak and potatoes?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

How do you suppose the nutrients in McDonald's are processed differently than the nutrients in steak and potatoes?

Hint to the person who posted above when you try to answer SideSteel's question...it's not the type of food, so much as something else. Assuming the amount of food is not changing (actually it has to be, but you might not notice and there's a good reason for this) when you eat junk versus good food, it can only be one thing...it begins with the letter "M"...
  • fulaless
    fulaless Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy and dense snack is generous tahini, avocado, lemon juice , arugula, and red onions on ezekiel bread. Peruvian a la huancaina sauce (feta, condensed milk, h ot yellow pepper paste, olive oil , crackers, and other ingredients blended )is another favorite that keeps well to serve over salad with olives, eggs and ...if.you have the carb allowance, potatoes.....of course I have no business eating either of these favorites these days.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    crickets

:laugh: LMAO:laugh: !
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. Your diet cosists mostly from animal protein and processed foods. You can definitely increase your calories with veggies and fruits, high in micronutrients. Avocados, nuts and seeds and most of the cruciferous vegetables.