What can I eat to feel full that's not fattening?

Options
I need to know what I can eat, snackwise or with breakfast/lunch that will not leave me with hunger pains? I'm trying to lose weight, on a 1400 cals/day diet but I know there's got to be something I can eat that is both filling and low in calories and/or low fat? Please help!

Replies

• jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn for snacks
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like Steel Cut Oatmeal it fills me up and I mix some fage 2 percent with it get my carbs and protein. it take a acquired taste but I enjoy it or you can mix whatever with the oatmeal. I used to eat it plain just started adding the yogurt becouse I was not getting enough protein. I spend about 1 hour making up a batch and then putting it in 2 serving containers and it microwaves pretty nice.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein. Its keeps you full longer. I try to snack on veggies because they are low cal which means I can eat a lot more without worrying about fat content.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I find protein very filling, and personally I like to eat every few hours. I like to snack on soy beans (shelled edamame) and greek yogurt. My lunches are also usually centered around a lean protein (chicken) and veggies/fruit, and then dinner is where I get my variety.

Keep in mind that fat is not "fattening", eating more calories than you expend is what is fattening. Eat the foods you enjoy, that help you get to your goals and keep you satiated in reasonable amounts.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Get the "low fat" out of your head. Fats aren't bad. Now if you have a legit reason for wanting low fat, than disregard what I just said.

As for low cal that will keep you full...I would look for high protein items. Protein tends to keep me full longer. Whether it's low call or not depends on the person. My fav is peanut butter on bananas.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Bump .....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't fattening.

Probably if you ate higher fat meals in general you would be less hungry for snacks. Fat is very satiating and it's good for you- good for hormone regulation, good for your skin, good for your thyroid function.....eat more fat.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat items and that is how I stay full.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Too many calories is fattening, not specific foods.

I'd suggest something like nuts, nut butter or hummus with veggie or fruit slices as a snack. The fat and protein will help you feel full longer than a low calorie snack.

But when I am short on calories and hungry between meals, V8 usually takes the edge off till meal time for me. I'm not a big fan of yogurt, but low fat greek yogurt is pretty filling and low cal.
  • emmibee934
    Options
    Try tofu! I make a spicy tofu scramble with sautéed veggies and salsa verde. It is an acquired taste, but relatively low in fat and calories and high in protein. Very filling! Raw and veggies, wasabi peas, and parmesan kale chips are some of my other favorite snacks. If you eat dairy/eggs, Greek yogurt is another great snack--my mother swears by it!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fibourous fruits and veggies. For breakfast, I LOVE fried eggs over roasted sweet potatoes. I eat some veggies and egg whites first thing as a post workout around 6:30, then my eggs and potatoes as breakfast between 9 and 10, and am fine until lunch, I don't usually get starving, just the start of feeling hungry. Crunchy veggies help, I find, carrots, peas in the pod, etc. and apples. Make sure you're getting adequate fat and protein, as those things help you to feel full.
  • lilc110
    lilc110 Posts: 10
    Options
    I know it's full of fat but I swear when I eat half or a quarter of an avocado, it helps keep me from reaching for other foods, the (good) fat keeps me full for a long time. I've lost weight with avocados. You might want to try it. Otherwise, nonfat or lowfat Greek yogurt helps too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I need to know what I can eat, snackwise or with breakfast/lunch that will not leave me with hunger pains? I'm trying to lose weight, on a 1400 cals/day diet but I know there's got to be something I can eat that is both filling and low in calories and/or low fat? Please help!

Protien, fat, ad fiber all help you stay full. Fat is healthy for weight loss.....but the calories add up quick.

Some people can eat (drink) some non fat protein & stay full.....not me. I think I need a combination.....you will have to test some things out.

Breakfast - I like greek yogurt, add FiberOne & slivered almonds (protein, fiber & fat)

Oatmeal (fiber) made with milk (protein) & sprinkle on cinnamon & chopped walnuts (fat).

Snacks....I like an apple smeared with peanut butter (fiber & fat). PB2 is a powdered peanut butter, way less fat, good for apples....not for toast.

String cheese (protein & fat) & veggies (fiber). If you like dip, try using dry ranch seasoning & adding it to plain greek yogurt.

Hard boiled eggs & veggies (protein, fat & fiber).
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Ditto on vegetables. Most days at work, I bring a baggie filled with snap peas, celery sticks, slices of red bell pepper, and/or carrot sticks. Great item to have for a mid-morning snack when others in the office are heading to the vending areas.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I eat high fat and protein. Fat, as other posters have stated, is essential for you and is actually what will help you feel fuller for longer.
  • abickford82
    Options
    I eat pre-made boneless skinless chicken breast (I crockpot a big container of it with nothing on it - no spices, oil, etc. -- I just want to be full not taste a bunch of food) so I have it ready when I'm hungry. Steamable veggie bags, fruit, etc.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    May I ask what's wrong with fat? Are you having trouble meeting your other macros and are trying to balance it out?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't fattening.

Probably if you ate higher fat meals in general you would be less hungry for snacks. Fat is very satiating and it's good for you- good for hormone regulation, good for your skin, good for your thyroid function.....eat more fat.

Amen to that.

The secret to my weight loss success and health improvements (including the disappearance of BED, obesity, depression, prediabetes, etc etc)? My high fat lifestyle; yes I mean healthy natural saturated fats from animals, coconuts etc.

It's no wonder you are having a tough time if you are following MFP macro and calorie recommendations based on all the "fat is bad" nonsense. I eat far more calories than MFP recommends and I eat a whole bunch more fat. Because it's healthy and filling and tastes DELICIOUS. (why do some people not want their food to taste good?... smh)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat items and that is how I stay full.

Yes.

That said, I find a good snack is equal volumes 4% cottage cheese and unsweetened applesauce. It has a nice macro ratio and is tasty - as long as you like apples.

You might also Google banana bread protein pancakes. I made some last night. Those things filled me up like I could not believe. Kind of sat in my stomach like lead, to be honest. But I sure didn't even want to think about eating any more food for about 4 hrs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I eat pre-made boneless skinless chicken breast (I crockpot a big container of it with nothing on it - no spices, oil, etc. -- I just want to be full not taste a bunch of food) so I have it ready when I'm hungry. Steamable veggie bags, fruit, etc.

Wha?

Why take the enjoyment out of eating?

BTW, OP, if you want to not enjoy eating, fixing uber-bland food like this is a good way to go about it.