What can I eat to feel full that's not fattening?

Options

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now?
  • sarahfit_
    sarahfit_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fiber and Protein will help keep you more full! Greek yogurt (I like dannon light & fit greek vanilla, doesn't taste like sour cream like those others!) and sometimes I'll put whey protein in it. Snacking on veggies is always good - carrots, zucchini, celery, and get creative with sauteeing, seasonings, and dressings! Even those fiber one bars for on-the-go can be nice! Just make sure you are getting enough protein in those 1400 calories and shoot for 25-30g of fiber a day! Quest bars work great too :)
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also find oatmeal keeps me feeling full and enegized for long periods.
  • btrippin
    btrippin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you eat really clean you can eat a lot more food. I've found that when I eat really clean it doesn't even feel like I'm dieting. For example, when I eat 6 oz of grilled chicken, a cup of green beans, and a half cup of mashed sweet potatoes with a big 40 oz glass of water I feel stuffed for hours. That meal has about 491 calories with 58 grams of protein, 46 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of fat, and it really does taste freakin' good. Make a bunch of meals like this ahead of time and it makes it super easy to make the right decisions and track the calories and macros.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you eat really clean you can eat a lot more food. I've found that when I eat really clean it doesn't even feel like I'm dieting. For example, when I eat 6 oz of grilled chicken, a cup of green beans, and a half cup of mashed sweet potatoes with a big 40 oz glass of water I feel stuffed for hours. That meal has about 491 calories with 58 grams of protein, 46 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of fat, and it really does taste freakin' good. Make a bunch of meals like this ahead of time and it makes it super easy to make the right decisions and track the calories and macros.

I eat your definition of clean for two meals a day just so I can eat basically whatever I want in the evenings. Works wonders. :)
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are getting enough protein and fats... What I eat to keep me full but with in my calorie range is a lot of veggies and some fruit in addition to my protein/fat sources. For breakfast, I eat eggs whites and cheese with a ton of spinach all cooked together. Sometimes I add a whole egg, sometimes I don't. For evenings, I've gotten on the spaghetti squash kick as you can eat a lot for few calories. I put salt, garlic power, parmesan cheese, butter spray and hot sauce on it for minimal additional calories. Right now I'm eating soup for lunch. Soups with a broth base(not cream) are lower in calorie and fat and seem to fill you up. I'm eating homemade turkey vegetable soup. I just got done a salad for lunch kick with tons of veggies, egg whites, cheese, grilled chicken, etc... It was filling! Lately I have been eating edemame too. I can buy it in individual servings that you steam in the microwave. Very filling for only 110 calories and has protein in it too.

I'm a volume eater. That is what works for me. Everyone is different. I do not get full on diet food such as 100 calorie packs, low fat crackers, diet ice cream, etc... For me, its much more satisfying to eat other stuff. That being said, I know people who have been successful eating completely different than I do. Different strokes for different folks:)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I eat pre-made boneless skinless chicken breast (I crockpot a big container of it with nothing on it - no spices, oil, etc. -- I just want to be full not taste a bunch of food) so I have it ready when I'm hungry. Steamable veggie bags, fruit, etc.

Wha?

Why take the enjoyment out of eating?

BTW, OP, if you want to not enjoy eating, fixing uber-bland food like this is a good way to go about it.

Also wondering what's the point of that bit? Less likely to overeat if there is no flavor or something?
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From scanning the comments, I am glad to see so many people understanding that dietary fat doesn't make you fat. It can mess with your liver, gall bladder, etc., if taken in excess, but in this country, we need to start liking fat. The South does not, as I gather, suffer from this aversion to fat. The problem with the South is that they're frying carbs, which is awesome but fattening.
  • taramcfarlan
    taramcfarlan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE popcorn, but I probably need to avoid the sodium, as I tend to pile on the salt. A friend of mine from church found some 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn, so I may get some if I just can't stand it...lol. thanks for the tip!
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Hornsby, that sounds like a great idea! I have seen many great ideas that you all have posted, thank you so much. I'm going to have to get a notebook and jot all this stuff down!!!
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Be sure you are getting enough protein and fats... What I eat to keep me full but with in my calorie range is a lot of veggies and some fruit in addition to my protein/fat sources. For breakfast, I eat eggs whites and cheese with a ton of spinach all cooked together. Sometimes I add a whole egg, sometimes I don't. For evenings, I've gotten on the spaghetti squash kick as you can eat a lot for few calories. I put salt, garlic power, parmesan cheese, butter spray and hot sauce on it for minimal additional calories. Right now I'm eating soup for lunch. Soups with a broth base(not cream) are lower in calorie and fat and seem to fill you up. I'm eating homemade turkey vegetable soup. I just got done a salad for lunch kick with tons of veggies, egg whites, cheese, grilled chicken, etc... It was filling! Lately I have been eating edemame too. I can buy it in individual servings that you steam in the microwave. Very filling for only 110 calories and has protein in it too.

I'm a volume eater. That is what works for me. Everyone is different. I do not get full on diet food such as 100 calorie packs, low fat crackers, diet ice cream, etc... For me, its much more satisfying to eat other stuff. That being said, I know people who have been successful eating completely different than I do. Different strokes for different folks:)

Thank you for that! I'd love your recipe for the homemade turkey vegetable soup! Can you email it to me? mca_taramcfarlan@live.com. wow, so much good advice in response to my question. I'm going to be busy tomorrow jotting all this down!!
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    I like Steel Cut Oatmeal it fills me up and I mix some fage 2 percent with it get my carbs and protein. it take a acquired taste but I enjoy it or you can mix whatever with the oatmeal. I used to eat it plain just started adding the yogurt becouse I was not getting enough protein. I spend about 1 hour making up a batch and then putting it in 2 serving containers and it microwaves pretty nice.

Belgerian - thank you for the advice, I will have to try that. I have regular oatmeal packets that I have made in the microwave, and I have put brown sugar in it. Is that bad?
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Try eating more protein. Its keeps you full longer. I try to snack on veggies because they are low cal which means I can eat a lot more without worrying about fat content.

ajhugz - that makes a lot of sense. I have basically got to retrain my body to not overeat to that "feeling full" stage, because I was not eating the right foods. Since dieting, I have been snacking a bit on carrots, but I find myself still with an "empty" feeling.
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    I find protein very filling, and personally I like to eat every few hours. I like to snack on soy beans (shelled edamame) and greek yogurt. My lunches are also usually centered around a lean protein (chicken) and veggies/fruit, and then dinner is where I get my variety.

Keep in mind that fat is not "fattening", eating more calories than you expend is what is fattening. Eat the foods you enjoy, that help you get to your goals and keep you satiated in reasonable amounts.

auddii - I have seen others mentioning to eat more protein, so I think I'll try that. Do soy beans have a salty taste? I would love them, if that was the case. If they were bland, not so sure...lol. Thank you so much for the advice!
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Get the "low fat" out of your head. Fats aren't bad. Now if you have a legit reason for wanting low fat, than disregard what I just said.

As for low cal that will keep you full...I would look for high protein items. Protein tends to keep me full longer. Whether it's low call or not depends on the person. My fav is peanut butter on bananas.

Hornsby - thank you! I will have to try peanut butter on bananas, never thought of that before.
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Too many calories is fattening, not specific foods.

I'd suggest something like nuts, nut butter or hummus with veggie or fruit slices as a snack. The fat and protein will help you feel full longer than a low calorie snack.

But when I am short on calories and hungry between meals, V8 usually takes the edge off till meal time for me. I'm not a big fan of yogurt, but low fat greek yogurt is pretty filling and low cal.

bcattoes - thank you for taking the time to write that for me. I will be jotting all this down tomorrow! I appreciate it!
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Peas work wonders for me.
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Try tofu! I make a spicy tofu scramble with sautéed veggies and salsa verde. It is an acquired taste, but relatively low in fat and calories and high in protein. Very filling! Raw and veggies, wasabi peas, and parmesan kale chips are some of my other favorite snacks. If you eat dairy/eggs, Greek yogurt is another great snack--my mother swears by it!

Kalihankered - thank you! I'd love that tofu scramble recipe, if it is more to it! mca_taramcfarlan@live.com . I appreciate all the great ideas!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I get it at Costco Premier Protein Shake has 30gm protein,160 cal, 3 fat, 3 carb 11 oz keeps me full for hours and taste great.
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Fibourous fruits and veggies. For breakfast, I LOVE fried eggs over roasted sweet potatoes. I eat some veggies and egg whites first thing as a post workout around 6:30, then my eggs and potatoes as breakfast between 9 and 10, and am fine until lunch, I don't usually get starving, just the start of feeling hungry. Crunchy veggies help, I find, carrots, peas in the pod, etc. and apples. Make sure you're getting adequate fat and protein, as those things help you to feel full.

I'm not sure how I would like fried eggs over sweet potatoes, but I'm willing to try it! When you say you eat veggies and egg whites first thing in the morning, what kind of veggies and how do you cook them? I have tried to snack on raw carrots, but they live me feeling still "empty".