Paleo lifestyle... Have you tried it? How did you feel?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume she would switch from paleo to eating a caloric surplus at some point in the future?

That question doesn't make any sense. Paleo and caloric deficits are two completely separate issues.

You can go between Paleo and Not-Paleo, or between Caloric Surplus and Deficit - not between Paleo and Deficit.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume she would switch from paleo to eating a caloric surplus at some point in the future?

That question doesn't make any sense. Paleo and caloric deficits are two completely separate issues.

You can go between Paleo and Not-Paleo, or between Caloric Surplus and Deficit - not between Paleo and Deficit.

I agree it makes little sense, but going from paleo to a caloric surplus is the only conclusion you can draw from ndj1979's comment that when she "can't" do paleo anymore she'll gain all the weight back. I suppose my point is that such a statement is silly, because you can stop paleo without gaining any weight whatsoever.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Perhaps what the PP is trying to say is that going non-paleo does not mean the weight will come back on.

Which in turn means the weight loss wasn't actually about being paleo.

Which in turn means there is no weight loss reason to go paleo, it's strictly a personal preference thing.

Which in turn means, if you have to figure out how to eat right non-paleo in the future anyway, why not skip a step and learn to do it now?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Perhaps what the PP is trying to say is that going non-paleo does not mean the weight will come back on.

Which in turn means the weight loss wasn't actually about being paleo.

Which in turn means there is no weight loss reason to go paleo, it's strictly a personal preference thing.

Which in turn means, if you have to figure out how to eat right non-paleo in the future anyway, why not skip a step and learn to do it now?

I'll notice you didn't say there's no reason to go paleo, because there are reasons people prefer a paleo diet over the standard processed fare. So are "weight loss reasons" the only reasons that matter? For that matter, I don't even know what a "weight loss reason" is, but I'll assume you're alluding to the fact it still comes down to calories. Like I said though, you can still track your calories and you can still track your macros while doing paleo, and I know many people that do. So, as for figuring out how to eat right non-paleo, if someone is already accustomed to weighing their food and tracking their macros... what do they have left to learn? Weighing and logging a sweet potato is not really different than logging the processed foods the IIFYM people are so fond of. What skills are people missing to be unable to log a pop tart?

Again, my point was all of this is based on the faulty assumption that people will at some point in the future switch from doing a paleo diet to eating a caloric surplus. There's absolutely no reason to believe this will happen though, and if someone is tracking their macros/calories on a paleo diet, there's absolutely no reason to believe they will sudden forget all of this information at some point in the future - at least no more reason than for the average IIFYM advocate.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Paleo = Cavemen. Not related to me
    A diet with a name is a product.

So yea no.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think Paleo is a label people are starting to use in a attempt to make themselves and others think they eat a much "healthier" diet than they actually do and that not that many people actually eat Paleo. This observation is solely based on the number of people on my FB newsfeed talking about how awesome they feel now that they eat Paleo, and then checking in two hours later from the bar with a picture of a table full of pub fare, toasting the camera with their alcohol.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think Paleo is a label people are starting to use in a attempt to make themselves and others think they eat a much "healthier" diet than they actually do and that not that many people actually eat Paleo. This observation is solely based on the number of people on my FB newsfeed talking about how awesome they feel now that they eat Paleo, and then checking in two hours later from the bar with a picture of a table full of pub fare, toasting the camera with their alcohol.

The whole "more paleo than thou" game is really stupid. Just eat what you feel is a healthy, sustainable diet for you, and stop trying to police who is or is not allowed to call their diet "paleo" because if you're not catching your own food using stone age weapons and preparing it with stone age tools, it's not paleo and if you're eating food that's the product of farming and/or selective breeding, it's not paleo. The diet that gets touted on the internet as "paleo" isn't even close to any actual paleolithic diets. The pseudo-paleo diet of internet gurus may be reasonably healthy in that it doesn't lack any important nutrients, but it's not actually paleo. And just because you have friends who occasionally eat pub food while otherwise following the pseudo-paleo diet, does not mean that their diet is less healthy than yours.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    i think paleo is a good thing if that's what you're into, what is there to say negatively about eating whole foods and meats and vegetables? yes its restrictive but just like most diets be they low carb, low calorie and the like, it can be good and work if that's what you're into.

i like restrictive diets personally because isn't that the point, of dieting and losing weight and body maintenance? to restrict yourself from over indulging in order to get the results you want? so i guess i don't see the difference in counting calories, macros, etc or totally eliminating food groups and different types of foods for the desired end result, as long are you're eating and drinking plenty of water and maintaining a healthy body, then do what works best for you and your lifestyle.

< does not restrict foods..I just eat in deficit, hit macros, and work out with compound movements..works fine for me...

The point of dieting is to find a healthy way to reduce calories and put yourself into a calorie deficit. Not label foods "good" and "bad" and then restrict the "bad" foods..

Don't you think it would be easier to eat the foods you like, and still be able to achieve your goals?

That's super great that it works for YOU. Some people try that for years and years and it never works for them. So... if they try paleo (or some other form of "restrictive diet") and it works for them, then isn't that fabulous?! And it isn't always labeling foods as "good" and "bad", for most it's just determining which foods make them feel awesome and which ones don't. So, I don't think gluten, HFCS & dairy are "bad", I just know they aren't worth eating for ME.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    What I like about paleo--it advocates eating whole foods that don't come with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients. So naturally your eliminating a lot of processed junk from your diet. I think that's where a whole lot of the benefits come from. But yeah I don't see myself cutting out things I love like rice, oats, pasta and bread forever. And I don't feel awful eating them so it wouldn't be sustainable for me to eat this way.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The whole "more paleo than thou" game is really stupid. Just eat what you feel is a healthy, sustainable diet for you, and stop trying to police who is or is not allowed to call their diet "paleo" because if you're not catching your own food using stone age weapons and preparing it with stone age tools, it's not paleo and if you're eating food that's the product of farming and/or selective breeding, it's not paleo. The diet that gets touted on the internet as "paleo" isn't even close to any actual paleolithic diets. The pseudo-paleo diet of internet gurus may be reasonably healthy in that it doesn't lack any important nutrients, but it's not actually paleo. And just because you have friends who occasionally eat pub food while otherwise following the pseudo-paleo diet, does not mean that their diet is less healthy than yours.

I didn't say anything about the health of my diet, or anyone else's diet, nor do I eat paleo or any other kind of "label" diet. I'm all for people finding a healthy, sustainable diet that works for them. Ok, I'm lying, I really don't give a toss what people eat, I hope they eat healthy but if they eat cupcakes all day it really has no bearing on my life.

I'm just tired people pretending to be part of whichever revolutionary new eating plan is popular at the moment, lecturing people about how much healthier they are than other people and how certain foods are "bad" or "unhealthy," then finding ways to justify eating "bad" foods when it's something they like. So I guess you would say I'm tired of the "more healthy than thou" nonsense that seems to come with these "label" diets.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i think paleo is a good thing if that's what you're into, what is there to say negatively about eating whole foods and meats and vegetables? yes its restrictive but just like most diets be they low carb, low calorie and the like, it can be good and work if that's what you're into.

i like restrictive diets personally because isn't that the point, of dieting and losing weight and body maintenance? to restrict yourself from over indulging in order to get the results you want? so i guess i don't see the difference in counting calories, macros, etc or totally eliminating food groups and different types of foods for the desired end result, as long are you're eating and drinking plenty of water and maintaining a healthy body, then do what works best for you and your lifestyle.

< does not restrict foods..I just eat in deficit, hit macros, and work out with compound movements..works fine for me...

The point of dieting is to find a healthy way to reduce calories and put yourself into a calorie deficit. Not label foods "good" and "bad" and then restrict the "bad" foods..

Don't you think it would be easier to eat the foods you like, and still be able to achieve your goals?

That's super great that it works for YOU. Some people try that for years and years and it never works for them. So... if they try paleo (or some other form of "restrictive diet") and it works for them, then isn't that fabulous?! And it isn't always labeling foods as "good" and "bad", for most it's just determining which foods make them feel awesome and which ones don't. So, I don't think gluten, HFCS & dairy are "bad", I just know they aren't worth eating for ME.

if you think avoiding whole food groups is a good idea and is sustainable for you, then more power to you.

I just find it easier to eat as I please and make sure I hit my calorie goals for the day...

and eating in a deficit does not work for you? How do you lose weight then?

why are they not worth eating for you?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What I like about paleo--it advocates eating whole foods that don't come with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients. So naturally your eliminating a lot of processed junk from your diet. I think that's where a whole lot of the benefits come from. But yeah I don't see myself cutting out things I love like rice, oats, pasta and bread forever. And I don't feel awful eating them so it wouldn't be sustainable for me to eat this way.

the implication being that all processed foods are bad. Technically a ribeye is processed, is that bad for you?
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do not personally agree with the Paleo diet, but for others it has really helped them feel better when they have eliminated grains and dairy. I think there is not one diet that everyone on the planet can thrive on. I truly believe - due to genetics or what have you - that some people really do thrive off of Paleo, vegetarian, or even vegan diets (assuming these diets are eaten properly and proper supplementation occurs). However, not all do. We are all so similar, yet so different. ;)

I'm just going to be real here for a second: I don't see the logic from the community that oats, potatoes, corn, brown rice, and Greek yogurt are bad foods. Blows my mind. I read what marksdailyapple.com has to say about it in terms of the glycemic index and such, but give me a break. All the grains I just listed are natural, whole foods grown out the ground. Greek yogurt has wonderful probiotic properties. Sorry, not even Mark is going to convince me that these are foods that should be avoided. Nope.

However, I hear it does make quite a positive difference when comparing your blood panels from being non-Paleo to then after shifting into the diet. I'm sure it's great for convenience in terms of coming up with meal ideas, too. Don't have to worry about incorporating those "pesky grains"...I believe Mark used the example of eating at a restaurant and being perfectly content with prime rib, a side of sautéed mushrooms and a glass of wine! ;)
  • Whambam087
    Options

the implication being that all processed foods are bad. Technically a ribeye is processed, is that bad for you?
    Well you can list and pronounce all of the ingredients that go into cooking a rib eye steak, right? Meat, spices, maybe butter and oil...Versus say a Twinkie? Lol
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    so what are you going to do when the short term becomes long term and you can't do paleo anymore? Gain all the weight back..? that sounds counter productive...

Why do you assume she "can't" do paleo anymore at some point in the future? Why do you assume she would switch from paleo to eating a caloric surplus at some point in the future? Plenty of people doing diets like paleo still track their food/macros. There's no real reason to think that simply because she might change her macros in the future and incorporate non-paleo foods that the result will be a caloric surplus.

Ummm...because she said "But for long term, I don't see this working for me at all. To those who can do it long term, I truly applaud you. But for me, I gotta have dairy, grains and legumes"...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Well you can list and pronounce all of the ingredients that go into cooking a rib eye steak, right? Meat, spices, maybe butter and oil...Versus say a Twinkie? Lol

Having an advanced degree allows one to eat more food. I like this approach . . .
  • ndj1979
    Options

If I do the cooking then yes….if Vinnie in the kitchen at so and so restaurant is doing the cooking then no….I also have no idea how they processed said ribeye when they butchered the cow and then packaged the meat either...
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

and eating in a deficit does not work for you? How do you lose weight then?

I've lost weight through calorie reduction using several different methods (weight watchers, calorie counting..etc.), but none of them were sustainable for me and I always ended up gaining most of the weight back. Counting points/cals/macros makes me want to tear my own eyeballs out of my head. It just isn't for me, and I personally think that a lifetime of counting everything that goes in mouth sounds like hell. I would much rather do what I am doing now, and have been doing for over 2 years, to maintain my weight (and much more importantly my health & quality of life) than commit to a lifetime of counting.
    why are they not worth eating for you?

Because when I was eating them, I was sick, tired and overweight. When I do eat gluten, I become very sick for 7-10 days. Dairy, on the other hand, has a shorter term effect, but still not worth it. When I eat processed sugary foods (such as candy) I get out of control moody & tired and have hard time not eating more and more of it (even though I know it's making me feel like crap!). I've never thought legumes were very yummy, other than peanut butter, which I do eat on occasion. I'm not suffering or missing any foods that I love. I just replaced those things that make me feel bad with things that don't. I've fallen in love with a whole other list of foods like avocado, sweet potatoes, beef brisket...the list goes on & on!
  • Whambam087
    Options

If I do the cooking then yes….if Vinnie in the kitchen at so and so restaurant is doing the cooking then no….I also have no idea how they processed said ribeye when they butchered the cow and then packaged the meat either...
    Yes we more or less process and manipulate most foods when we preserve, cook, grill, fry and dolly them up with spices or whatever unless your on a 100% raw diet. So what then? I would be just as healthy eating a well balanced diet full of twinkies, icecream, pizza, bacon and burgers as one with lean mean meats, veggies, fruits, nut and possibly whole grains that are closer to their natural state? Lol
  • scubaduo
    Options
    I am eating what would be considered a paleo diet. I didn't buy the book, so I don't follow that plan exactly. I have decided to "just eat real food" (JERF). I have cut out sugar (and sugar substitutes), wheat, corn, and soy. I eat eggs and dairy ocassionally. I feel MUCH better! I am not caught up in all the counting (calories, carbs, etc) and I am learning to eat only when I'm hungry - truly hungry. This was the first "diet" that I've ever done where I don't have sugar crashes because my blood sugar has stabilized and I don't get false hunger. It's been an amazing plan for me!:love::love: :love:

I'm kind of a foodie, so I've had to find ways to make food interesting while keeping with my plan. Here's a link to one of my favorite cookbooks from chef Able James - the Fat-burning Man: http://369370uvwoxlm3mxxet9y3ipfv.hop.clickbank.net/. Also, I've just started a Facebook page for people to share products, successes, and comments: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paleo-Living/205581602969270.