Frame size ladies??

Options
13»

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    They are both lean. And it doesn't make sense to describe that as everyone being small.

We don't all have the same context.

I grew up in a world where people were called "small" if they were relatively slender. Regardless of a person's height, weight, clothing size, it wasn't uncommon to hear someone who wasn't fat called "small". "Oh you've gotten so small", "she's so small now", "yes, she's small", these were the kind of phrases I heard.

So when I see a person who has relatively low body fat levels, I look at them as "small". So when I see a lean woman, even with a "larger frame, whose fitting in size 4, 6, 8, I consider her "small". Obviously you don't, but keep in mind this is partly a matter of perception. I personally can't fathom only considering a woman in a size 2 "small".
    I think you might be surprised how little you care about your clothing size when you are at your peak fitness. I was.

What a freeing realization.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    They are both lean. And it doesn't make sense to describe that as everyone being small.

I grew up in a world where people were called "small" if they were relatively slender. Regardless of a person's height, weight, clothing size, it wasn't uncommon to hear someone who wasn't fat called "small". "Oh you've gotten so small", "she's so small now", "yes, she's small", these were the kind of phrases I heard.

So when I see a person who has relatively low body fat levels, I look at them as "small". So when I see a lean woman, even with a "larger frame, whose fitting in size 4, 6, 8, I consider her "small". Obviously you don't, but keep in mind this is partly a matter of perception. I personally can't fathom only considering a woman in a size 2 "small".

Well, the op was talking in terms of clothing sizes. Myself being a person that often can't find a size that fits me, I do need to ask things like, "Do the clothes run small, or do they run big" or "Does that store have clothing that fits very small sized women". They don't sell my bra size in mall stores (I need a 26 or 28 band size, unless they purposely make them smaller and then sometimes a 30 will work because it's actually a 26 band size). To put that into context most stores don't sell smaller than a 34. In some stores I can wear a small, in other stores the xs is too big. In some stores I can wear a 2, in other stores the 00 is too big. And I have to purchase my shoes in the children's department, while my 9 year old shops in the women's department.

I don't think small means good, lean, or fit. It's just an accurate description that helps in purchasing clothing that fits and in having costumes made for dance. I don't really care how the word small gets used, though. It just sometimes helps for accuracy in trying to understand things about clothing size for example. So, I think you misunderstood my reasoning for what I was saying because you attach more meaning to the word small than I do. For me, it is about finding a good fit.

And when we understand things like small frame and large frame and do not consider one to be "better" than they other, we have people that are confident with their body type and not trying to starve or over eat or inaccurately putting people down for being different from them. Small is just one adjective. A person can be lean and fit and be medium or large framed.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Well, the op was talking in terms of clothing sizes. Myself being a person that often can't find a size that fits me, I do need to ask things like, "Do the clothes run small, or do they run big" or "Does that store have clothing that fits very small sized women". They don't sell my bra size in mall stores (I need a 26 or 28 band size, unless they purposely make them smaller and then sometimes a 30 will work because it's actually a 26 band size). To put that into context most stores don't sell smaller than a 34. In some stores I can wear a small, in other stores the xs is too big. In some stores I can wear a 2, in other stores the 00 is too big. And I have to purchase my shoes in the children's department, while my 9 year old shops in the women's department.

Good old vanity sizing. Yep, we men are dealing with the same (even though most don't know it). My goal weight is going to take me to the smaller ends of true, uninflated clothing sizes, and I'm seeing now that finding pants is going to prove much more difficult considering how inflated most things have gotten.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good old vanity sizing. Yep, we men are dealing with the same (even though most don't know it). My goal weight is going to take me to the smaller ends of true, uninflated clothing sizes, and I'm seeing now that finding pants is going to prove much more difficult considering how inflated most things have gotten.

If you're a true 28, be happy that belts are a viable wardrobe element. Luckily inseams and necks are generally solid.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yeah.