Saboteurs

Options
1235»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to use the garbage can. It's only fair when they buy your favorite ice cream. Just throw it out.

this is a creme that is punishable by ten years in prison..

Really, throw it out? Now there is a healthy approach to food..just throw it out..wow, the stuff you see on threads...
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've actually been guilty of "trying to sabotage" people who were on a mission to lose weight. I didn't do it intentionally, but now that I am on a food awareness mission, I see that I was being that person. The times I am thinking of were when we had office birthday parties for coworkers and we'd have cake. One of my coworkers had lost a lot of weight and he still refused birthday cake at every party, so my coworkers and I would always try to give him the first piece from every cake. We would tell him, "Oh, come on! You look great! You can have ONE piece of cake!" I never personally pushed the issue much. We were all just playing around with him, and he would just smile and say "No thanks".

I know my personal intentions at the time were not to sabotage him, but to reward him for his hard work. Of course, now I know that a "reward" of unplanned cake in the middle of the day is more of a chore than a reward. But I never intended to tempt him away from his carefully planned diet. I was just clueless.
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend sounds like the OP's husband, able to eat junk food in moderation and then stop, while I'm more of the "all or nothing" kind of gal. I cannot stop at 1/2 cup of ice cream, I cannot eat one cookie, once I have the food (especially sugar) I just eat and eat usually until I get a tummy ache or run out. I'm not sure why I'm so easily controlled by these trigger foods, but I'm working on overcoming this addiction.

My biggest saboteur is my roommate who is himself overweight but insists on buying multiple packs of cookies, muffins, chocolate, chips, you name it, it graces our pantry, counter tops, and fridge. In an attempt to gain control, my boyfriend installed a slide out pantry for him and I to use so that roommate's pantry of junk is his alone and I can instead reach for my healthy foods without muddling through sugary temptations. Roommate has bought another freezer to keep his ice cream stores (which rivals Baskin Robins shops), and there is another fridge outside where I transfer his cakes and other goodies. Out of sight, out of mind.

My mom's house poses another problem with the sheer amount of noms but thankfully my mom doesn't push any of the foods on me like roommate does. While I appreciate his willingness -insistence even- to share, I can't help but feel like "thanks, but no thanks" to his many, delicious but unhealthy offers. Ultimately I know it boils to down to me, making choices that will positively affect my day and my life despite the temptations that are all around, which I'm sure many of you can agree with.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had one friend (at work) who once she knew I was trying to lose weight, she told me a few times that I shouldn't be counting calories when I was looking at labels or said no thanks to food offers, and said on occasion that " I was no fun anymore". Then she also started pushing food while she didn't do that before. She had a few weeks of bringing cupcakes she baked herself, and always insisted that I should try one (or more). Then she came by with easter eggs a few times, and when I told her no thanks she just put them all on my desk and then left. It stopped after a few weeks when she also started working out herself again and maybe she got used to the idea of me losing weight.

It was quite unpleasant, but I knew it wasn't really anything about her wanting me to fail particularly, I think she was just feeling bad about herself (she is quite fit, but wasn't working out at the time, and probably feeling bad about that).. Of course you choose how to handle these situations, and you choose if you eat something or not. I figured out after a while that it was easiest to accept the cupcakes, telling her I would try them later, which I brought home and gave them away or I split them for dessert if I had room. The easter eggs I put in the work cookie jar... etc.