what was your mistakes that made you gain weight

Options
I know when I came home hungry I use to grab just anything, pizza, fast food. Now I plan and if I don't plan I eat lean cruise or soup.

I watch myself and look after me instead of putting work,hubby and other stuff first. So true, trying to take care of me and be assertive and say No sometimes. I know I read the other day someones hubby would not let her shovel the snow, heck just say yes I am shoveling.

Use to eat with stressful situations (still do sometimes) Now go to the gym and exercise when stressed. Also get out pen and paper and try to problem solve and sometimes tell myself to just be patient like when my car was in the garage.

I don't think I have the full button so I need logging, if I have eaten most of my calories I say I can have this and not that, I can have the other tomorrow.

What do you think were your mistakes and why you gained the weight?

Replies

• tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1) Stress eating!! Now I will find somewhere that I can walk and think it all out :)
    2) And if I had a really busy day, I would get fast food instead of cooking, putting TRASH into mine and my childrens body, at least twice a week.
    I guess what really turned my life around is seeing how my grandparents are struggling. My granny has diabetes and she has to take 3 shots a day. My grandfather died two weeks ago as a result of bad life choices.. The flu attacked his lungs and they were so damaged from smoking so many years that he couldn't fight it off. Seeing him suffer the way he did, I never want that for myself or my children! I haven't ate fast food since and I have lost 11 pounds so far :)
    (I know that eating unhealthy is totally different than smoking but it all sends you in a bad direction, that was my point)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    High fat/high carb desserts. After I kicked all other bad food habits, those were still my weakness. I do not "love" food the way so many people say they do, but I had a very real problem with loving the taste of a good sweet. I got down to a "normal" size in my early 20s but eventually ended up gaining back all of it, and them some, on the back of limitless desserts and a too sedentary lifestyle.

Also not paying attention to how, what, and when my body intuitively wants to eat (vs cravings) was a huge problem. So I no longer pay any attention to meal timing or schedules, and I've become a master at telling the difference between real hunger and cravings.

Also disassociating food, any food, from notions of "guilt" and "cheating". I own every morsel that I CHOOSE to put in my mouth. Associating food with negative emotions only had me choosing to give up the whole day, and start tomorrow. And for years tomorrow never came, and each "give up til tomorrow" day lead into weeks, months, years, and eventually well over a 100lbs fat gain.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I ate too much and moved too little. Six months ago it was easy to sit around and eat, now I don't have as much @$$ padding, so I don't sit as long, and since I don't like eating while I'm moving around I don't eat as much.

Rigger
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I stopped exercising regularly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not so much a mistake really...

I was always pretty active and ate a lot to fuel that activity. I was an athlete growing up and participated in everything from swimming to track and field to gymnastics to football. After high school I joined the Marine Corps and was with a combat ready unit so also very active and fit.

I was somewhat less active when I cycled out of the military and went back to college...but I didn't own a car and rode my bike or walked pretty much everywhere. I also was pretty active just recreationally with hiking, skiing, golf, etc. I gained a small amount of weight in college, but basically went from maintaining a 10-12% BF ratio to being around 15-17% or so...so no biggie. I was still pretty active and ate a lot to fuel all of that activity.

I graduated college just after my 30th birthday...which is also when I started my first "real job" sitting at a desk and staring at a computer screen all day long. I bought a car so rather than riding my bike everywhere, I was sitting in my nice plush leather seats driving to work and then sitting for 10-12 hours per day, generally 6 days per week. Due to just being busy, my recreational activity pretty much ceased to exist and basically I went from being quite active to sedentary almost over night but was still eating the same way I was before and as a result put on about 50 Lbs over the course of the next 8 years.

I lost 40 Lbs last year and am primarily re-comping at maintenance at this point. I still eat pretty much the same stuff I always ate...I just moderate my serving sizes and eat to a level that properly fuels my body for the activity it is performing.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Apathy and avoidance.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i lost a lot of my weight planning my/our wedding. i wanted to be skinny for it. i wanted to look good for it. i ate like a bird for months on end and exercised like a mad woman - working out 2-4 hours a day. yup i dropped the weight. i wore a size 4 and a size 2 in dresses. a year after getting married i injured my knee (pretty bad acl injury); PT, surgery, PT again - a year later of not doing anything i gained 20lbs (at 4' 11-3/4" that's a lot). fast forward 4 years later at my 30th birthday i was my heaviest (almost 45lbs heavier than the day i got married). yes i exercised but because i was exercising i ate anything i wanted because i told myself i exercise i can eat 2 hamburgers and an extra large helping of french fries.

what were my mistakes thinking i could eat anything i wanted because I exercised; milking an injury for 10 years; not taking full responsibility for gaining all my weight (no one stuffed the food in my face hole i did it all on my own); thinking i looked good in my size 14s.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Laziness and not caring...
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'd eat to my hearts content, rather than stopping once I was full. A whole large pizza? Sure. Why!? Plus, I never exercised.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For me, I was on medication for years that decreased my appetite so I would eat whatever I wanted but didn't realize I was eating very small portions. When I went off the medication I kept on eating whatever I wanted but ate a whole lot more of it. I never learned portion control. Plus just a general not caring because I never got "fat" just a little bigger.
    Now I still eat whatever I want but I am a whole lot more conscious of my calories and macros!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I know when I came home hungry I use to grab just anything, pizza, fast food. Now I plan and if I don't plan I eat lean cruise or soup.

I watch myself and look after me instead of putting work,hubby and other stuff first. So true, trying to take care of me and be assertive and say No sometimes. I know I read the other day someones hubby would not let her shovel the snow, heck just say yes I am shoveling.

Use to eat with stressful situations (still do sometimes) Now go to the gym and exercise when stressed. Also get out pen and paper and try to problem solve and sometimes tell myself to just be patient like when my car was in the garage.

I don't think I have the full button so I need logging, if I have eaten most of my calories I say I can have this and not that, I can have the other tomorrow.

What do you think were your mistakes and why you gained the weight?

When I get bored or stressed now, I just go to the forum and laugh at all the funny gif's. :wink: :happy:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes, and a sedentary lifestyle.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Not liking myself enough to change. Using food or lack of food as punishment for being me. Cycles of VLCD and revenge eating. Splitting up with my then girlfriend and now wife, which packed on the final couple of stone due to emotional eating. Oh, and apathy.

Sigh - it's my head I need to shrink, not just my waistline.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching my food choices so closely and stopped my exercise regime. It really is an all out marathon to keep your body healthy. No sprints here. I got comfy with my man and put back on 30 lbs. Now, I'm not comfy with the 30 lbs.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eating in response to just about any emotion - boredom, loneliness, excitement, anxiety, sadness, etc. - rather than just eating when I was hungry. Food became a catch-all drug for dealing with my emotions.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    too much eating of whatever, whenever I wanted, too much fast food, and candy and sweets, being lazy, no exercise and not drinking enough water. I really didn't eat much of anything that had any nutritional value, I drank soda all day. If I was home I was watching tv. I was existing, but not really living! My lifestyle now is nothing of what it once was....I love exercise now, eat healthy foods and watch my portions, the not so healthy in moderation, lots of water, very little soda........I feel so much better!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Not logging my calories, not drinking enough water and drinking alcohol. Not that I drink a lot, but I have found a glass of wine every night is just enough to cause me to retain water weight. Don't want to talk about the occasional Mexican night with a margarita that I'm sure has >600 calories and then add chips and dinner. Ugh...miss that, but not enough to screw up my current losses!
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, honestly and mainly: getting lazy and alcohol on weekends. And now a thyroid issue as well as a host of other hormonal bs.

At one point I had maintained a 70-80 pound weight loss and was very healthy and in shape, but over the last 18-24 months I gained back 30 pounds of it. I used to exercise with weights and/or cardio at least 60 minutes a day 6 days a week and I was hawk with the foods I chose to put in my body.

In the last two years, I slacked big time on the exercise - got in maybe 4 days a week and definitely not as intense as before. Hello 10-15 pounds! And I started drinking more alcohol on the weekends. Hello 10-15 MORE pounds. (Lots of stuff going on in my life during this time - going from dream job to nightmare job to new job, getting engaged, buying a home, moving in with fiancé, dealing with ill parent, etc...)

So, I feel like "I'm back" and have been being pretty healthy about things as far as daily exercise, food, and I'm cutting alcohol (mostly-wink, wink - special occasions only!).

What motivates me now is that I simply want to feel good, and feel like I look good again.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching my food choices so closely and stopped my exercise regime. It really is an all out marathon to keep your body healthy. No sprints here. I got comfy with my man and put back on 30 lbs. Now, I'm not comfy with the 30 lbs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This!
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I stopped exercising regularly.

This was me too.