Weight Training... female style.

Options
2»

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Also to be honest MFP doesn't have great logging for weight training (keeping track of what you do.) I suggest signing up at www.fitocracy.com (there's also a great app) It's so easy to use and track your weight progress. plus you get to "level up" and who doesn't love that. If you do sign up, look me up - I'm MEWooding.

YES!! I'm all about that!! I was sad with MFP's weight training progression... gonna go sign up now!!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut body fat and build muscle, which is what I'm doing also, successfully, then you eat at maintenance. The more muscle you build, the more fat you'll burn, and it's a slow process. If you eat at a deficit, you won't build muscle, but you will burn fat which will show off the muscles you do have. So you have to decide if you want to build muscle or just show off what you got going on. Good luck.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut body fat and build muscle, which is what I'm doing also, successfully, then you eat at maintenance. The more muscle you build, the more fat you'll burn, and it's a slow process. If you eat at a deficit, you won't build muscle, but you will burn fat which will show off the muscles you do have. So you have to decide if you want to build muscle or just show off what you got going on. Good luck.

I'm aiming to burn fat first, but I don't want to ignore my muscles with a lot of cardio.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have also just started weight training. I do not want to build muscle but I do want to be toned. My nephew a trainer told me to do light weights but several repetitions.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

I think what you meant to say is that we generally do not subscribe to that train of thought.

Yes, that is what I wanted to say. I just couldn't articulate her nephew being incorrect and her statement about not wanting to build muscle but just tone without it sounding mean.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have also just started weight training. I do not want to build muscle but I do want to be toned. My nephew a trainer told me to do light weights but several repetitions. Once I don't feel the burn to bump it up. In one machine I started at 10 I can now left 40 and do 4 set of 15 reps. I do muscle one day and cardio the next.

Your nephew sounds like he went to the trainer school of "I don't know crap about weight lifting!" :flowerforyou: