Want to lose 60 lbs in 3-5 months

Options
Hey guys just joined today. Anyway, I am a former linguist in the US Army and always played sports before that so I always had an active lifestyle and was in really good shape, but that same active lifestyle masked my bad eating habits because I was always doing PT for the Army or playing sports in my downtime. Well a little over a year ago I injured my knee and got medically discharged at the age of 21 (almost 22.) So then I couldnt carry on an active lifestyle because my knee but I was still eating garbage. Now 60 pounds and a 100% knee later im coming to you guys for advice...I want to lose ideally, 60 pounds in 3-4 maybe 5 months. I know how to exercise but need to know how to eat healthier and keep a diet going. A few exercise tips wouldnt hurt either. Thanks!

Replies

• ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Good to see you here, you are right in that it is what you put into yourself that is causing the increasing weight. 60lbs in 3 months is about 5 lbs. a week, which is not a good idea. 60 lbs. in 5 months is about 3 lbs. a week, which can be done. Most will recommend 1-2 lbs. a week is a good rate that will not starve you or change you so much you will quit.
    What is the time frame for?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well you can definitely lose the 60 lbs and there are lots of people here that can help you along the way. I think your timetable is a little rushed and you should aim more for 10 months. Its your decision but I assume you are still going to want to live a decent life throughout this process and not feel starved all the time and never get to go off plan to have some birthday cake or something. It could be done but you will have to create a very large deficit and stick to it religiously. Whatever you decide to do I try to eat pretty healthy and cook a good bit so I could be helpful in that area if you want to be friends. Best of luck to you!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    You might want to start by reassessing your goals. 3-5 months is not a reasonable timeframe in which to lose 60lbs.
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options
    Im going on a trip to Puerto Rico in late June. Also just for the Summer in General. I have to tell you that Ive never been this big before so its kind of a shock and it really just hit me within the last couple of weeks how big I had gotten so the sooner I can lose it the better (within reason)
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have lost 100+lbs since June by logging food and working out. I have 70lbs would like to lose before the end of summer!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    If you put your mind to it, and work HARD at it...Sure, it's possible. But, be careful. I'm aiming to lose 60-80 by May. :smile:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to lose 50 lbs, which is about average I think :) there are fad diets that will promise drastic results fast... but they tend not to last so why waste the time and money if you will gain it back? I say you CAN lose the weight but just aim for 2 lbs a week and if you lose more, bonus! :) If you don't lose more than 2 lbs/wk, well welcome to the club lol :P When those 2 lbs add up, it's awesome! Good luck :)
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options
    I naturally have a pretty regimented lifestyle (although I have obviously been derailed the last year) so sticking to a diet and exercise regimine religiously shouldnt be too bad...plus like I said I am naturally a trim person(my current weight would say otherwise but the fat is pretty alien to my body) so I feel like my body could take it with minimal adverse effects.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    With 4.3 weeks in each month, you are looking at an average weight loss of 2.79lbs each week for 5 months to get to your goal of 60lbs. That's a tidbit over the safe recommendation, and you might get skewed results if you build muscle too. Aim for about 50, or a certain clothing size, it's more realistic, especially if you are doing strength training.

I'm going for 50lbs in 6 months, which is around 2lbs a week.
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to lose 50 lbs, which is about average I think :) there are fad diets that will promise drastic results fast... but they tend not to last so why waste the time and money if you will gain it back? I say you CAN lose the weight but just aim for 2 lbs a week and if you lose more, bonus! :) If you don't lose more than 2 lbs/wk, well welcome to the club lol :P When those 2 lbs add up, it's awesome! Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice. I didnt plan on doing any fad diets...my plan is to take in 1200-1500 calories a day, run 1.5 to 3 miles four time a week with interval training in between. Just good old fashoined hard work is all.
  • karenmcwilly53
    karenmcwilly53 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose about 50 lbs myself by May. It will be hard, but doable! Good luck to you.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I didnt plan on doing any fad diets...my plan is to take in 1200-1500 calories a day, run 1.5 to 3 miles four time a week with interval training in between. Just good old fashoined hard work is all.

what's your height/weight? I wouldn't go below 1800 a day, especially if you're going to be running/training that much.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Good luck on that workout on 1,200 calories. Way to low for a guy
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    While my goal was to lose 60 pounds in 7 months, I'm actually on track to lose 60 in about 4 months. I did pretty much what you posted in your last comment. I eat about 1200 calories a day and run about 3.5 (recently up to 4.5).

If you add me as a friend, you can study my food and exercise diary to see what I did.

Keep in mind that I have a lot more than 60 to lose. If you're only 60 pounds overweight, I think you'll have a difficult time losing it in such a short timespan.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Whats your basal caloric intake? Mine is 2300/day. If I ate that, I'd stay the same weight. depending on what yours is, you may not want to go as low as 1200/day, or you'll slow your metabolism down. I tend to consume around 1500-1600/day, but I work to burn 400-500. That leaves me with a net for the day of around 950, or a 1150 deficit, which equates to about 2.3lbs each week (using the 3500 number as each lb of fat)
  • shmulyeng
    Options

Good luck on that workout on 1,200 calories. Way to low for a guy

I know that's what most people say, but in my case that's just not true. I average about 1200 calories a day and I was able to go from absolutely zero exercise to running 4 miles straight. I'm not implying that this is typical but it definitely works for some people. That being said, I do have a harder time working out on days that I eat less than 1100 calories.

Feel free to send a friend request to study my diary.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would take the time limit off if I were you... (just personal experience)... if you expect to be "done" eating a certain way by a certain time you will be disappointed when you learn you have to change the way you eat forever to maintain a healthy body!! :) Also, the weight you set for goal may please or disappoint you when you get there... so don't be too tied to a number.

You can see some serious progress in 3-5 months though... and you can do it mostly through nutrition. The exercise is clutch but actual weight loss comes from calorie deficit. You could try starting with healthier choices (Try "Eat this, not that") but if you're willing to cook and go the distance right off the bat, research how to measure and weigh your food and how to count calories. Portion control and logging everything really helps. Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you want!
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options

what's your height/weight? I wouldn't go below 1800 a day, especially if you're going to be running/training that much.

I am 6' 2" and 250 lb but my natural weight is around 185-195 aiming for the middle 190
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options
    Also guys keep in mind I am only 22 (23 in April) idk if thats a factor but I feel like being young will benefit me
  • shmulyeng
    Options
    Based on that height and weight, I don't think your timeframe will work.