Want to lose 60 lbs in 3-5 months

Options

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Look up LOW CARB, HIGH FAT ! That's your best bet, get into ketosis & you'll never be hungry, lose your cravings, and feel awesome !!!! Worth taking a look. I'm 45, tried a lot of diets, it's the best thing I've ever come across as far as not feeling deprived ! Bacon, macadamia nuts, almonds, coconut, meat, salad with full fat dressing. Yummy !

Funny, I eat all of that, and bread and pasta and potatoes in moderation, and I lost weight too..... Glad it works for you, but you do NOT have to cut out one specific food group in order to lose weight.....
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It took me two years to lose about that amount, but I'm a girl and a lot older than you. I still think 3 to 5 months for that much weight loss is a little unrealistic. You have to make changes you can maintain so you don't gain it back. How about focusing on making small changes, logging your food, figuring out how many calories you eat daily before cutting back, and starting to add more protein and veggies and cutting back on processed food.
  • kaylerato
    kaylerato Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    op do whats works best for you. I know many people who separated from the military and have gain alot of weight because of the lifestyle change. You are 22 years old and once you set your mind to it,the weight will come off.experiment with calories,see what is going to make you feel satisfied. GoodLuck:happy: and have fun in Puerto Rico
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I left the military about 4 years ago and put on about 70 lbs in that time after taking a desk job. I am also 6'2", a bit older though (44) and weighed 266 lbs when I decided to get my life in order.

I have lost 56 lbs in just under 5 months so I think your plan is totally doable. I still work with the military so I haven't really lost the mentality that came with it so if I want to do something then giving up is not an option. It has not been easy, lots of sweat and blood, literally when I hit the tarmac running at 5am.

As someone else mentioned you need to be carefull not to lose LBM as I found after 2 months of dieting I could barely lift the dumbells I had lying around in the garage which previously I could lift no problem. Since then I have been strength training and making sure I get enough protein in my diet while staying under goal.

Feel free to add me if you need support/encouragement
  • BrittneyJ2006
    BrittneyJ2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to lose within a 5 month time frame. But I'm going for 55lbs. As for exercise, I had a personal trainer and loved the workouts. The biggest thing was doing strength training and intervals 3 times a week. Burpees are a great exercise to try, although it's the one I hated the most. And cardio the other days. Typically walking/jogging for a few miles.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi, ClutchCity, FWIW, my two cents:

I am hoping to lose all my excess weight by the end of August, and am on a 1200 calorie plan since Jan 1. So far, so good--11 pounds by the end of week 3. Clutch, feel free to look at my diary if you want to. Because of my work schedule, I end up usually eating two meals (breakfast, dinner) and two solid snacks of 150 to 200(ish) calories each. (Almonds seriously help take the hunger edge off, I have found.)

Depending on how much "junk" food you had been eating before you start, when you cut all that out (chips, candy, baked goods,) you should see a pretty nice initial drop by the end of the first "clean" week. (I dropped 6 lbs week one by sticking to my calorie limit and not eating all the crap stuff I HAD been eating just the week before.) Stick to your set calorie limit per day and you should lose weight fairly steadily. (I still have to get back to the gym, I was trying to tackle breaking my bad food habits first and get those under control, it just works better for me that way, to do it in steps.)

Use MFP to plan your meals out ahead of time and just make a hard rule that when you go through all your planned meals and snacks for the day, you are done eating for that day. After that, I try to stick to tea. It really is a day by day process. I just view midnight as my finish line for each day.
  • mcruz1996
    Options
    :smile :smile: good job stay heathy
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you start now and lose 2lbs a week at a healthy rate and with a moderate calorie deficit you'll be very happy with your progress in 5 months. You will definitely be showing off your new body on your trip.

Don't worry about the final timetable right now.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you start now and lose 2lbs a week at a healthy rate and with a moderate calorie deficit you'll be very happy with your progress in 5 months. You will definitely be showing off your new body on your trip.

This!

To address your question - 1600 to 1800 is still a big cut but if you can handle that it will get you to your goal faster.

You need to balance two things: the speed of losing and how hunger will affect you. To lose a lot of weight it's all about persistence; cut too fast and you'll quit (and likely look awful from loss of lean mass) cut too slow and you'll quit because mentally you are in a hurry and will find it frustrating.

It is usually best to refocus on the total project and forget timetables to allow you to workout hard, eat well (with a deficit) and learn to eat healthy and reasonable. Losing is easy but learning long term methods to maintain the loss is hard. So youth will help you gain muscle, get fit, lose the weight but impatience will lead you to failure in the long term.

You are a linguist right? Let me take an example from the field. The programs you guys use for learning languages are pretty good - I've used them a few times. I can drive up to a basic structure of a language in about 6 weeks (not talking about the harder ones) and yet, without persistence and daily practice it is just a waste because I will completely lose what I learned. My Arabic, Chinese and Ladakhi efforts failed because I didn't find a persistence driver for these. Where I succeeded I was persistent and practiced on an almost daily basis and for the long term. Same thing.

Back to weight loss. I'd suggest you avoid the ketosis or very low carb diet someone suggested. They will allow you to lose weight fast but also have the risk of inducing very specific long term physical damage if practiced for too long. They are useful for short term loss and induce initially a lot of weight loss in water. They also have high failure rates and regains once you stop them, at 22 you really have the ability to become healthy and strong for the long term without fiddling with that.

And whatever you decide to do. Keep your protein up and add progressive strength training yesterday to protect lean mass.

Oh, and read these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This!

To address your question - 1600 to 1800 is still a big cut but if you can handle that it will get you to your goal faster.

You need to balance two things: the speed of losing and how hunger will affect you. To lose a lot of weight it's all about persistence; cut too fast and you'll quit (and likely look awful from loss of lean mass) cut too slow and you'll quit because mentally you are in a hurry and will find it frustrating.

It is usually best to refocus on the total project and forget timetables to allow you to workout hard, eat well (with a deficit) and learn to eat healthy and reasonable. Losing is easy but learning long term methods to maintain the loss is hard. So youth will help you gain muscle, get fit, lose the weight but impatience will lead you to failure in the long term.

You are a linguist right? Let me take an example from the field. The programs you guys use for learning languages are pretty good - I've used them a few times. I can drive up to a basic structure of a language in about 6 weeks (not talking about the harder ones) and yet, without persistence and daily practice it is just a waste because I will completely lose what I learned. My Arabic, Chinese and Ladakhi efforts failed because I didn't find a persistence driver for these. Where I succeeded I was persistent and practiced on an almost daily basis and for the long term. Same thing.

Back to weight loss. I'd suggest you avoid the ketosis or very low carb diet someone suggested. They will allow you to lose weight fast but also have the risk of inducing very specific long term physical damage if practiced for too long. They are useful for short term loss and induce initially a lot of weight loss in water. They also have high failure rates and regains once you stop them, at 22 you really have the ability to become healthy and strong for the long term without fiddling with that.

And whatever you decide to do. Keep your protein up and add progressive strength training yesterday to protect lean mass.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

OP listen to this.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

This!

OP listen to this.

Please listen to this. Read these links. Make a sustainable change that will set you on a good path for the rest of your life.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey guys just joined today. Anyway, I am a former linguist in the US Army and always played sports before that so I always had an active lifestyle and was in really good shape, but that same active lifestyle masked my bad eating habits because I was always doing PT for the Army or playing sports in my downtime. Well a little over a year ago I injured my knee and got medically discharged at the age of 21 (almost 22.) So then I couldnt carry on an active lifestyle because my knee but I was still eating garbage. Now 60 pounds and a 100% knee later im coming to you guys for advice...I want to lose ideally, 60 pounds in 3-4 maybe 5 months. I know how to exercise but need to know how to eat healthier and keep a diet going. A few exercise tips wouldnt hurt either. Thanks!

Your weight here is the important factor, I'd say.

If you were in deployment shape and then gained your sixty pounds (so, say you're up around the 240-260 range), then getting rid of it in three to five months is going to be a lot of exceptionally hard work and discipline.

Now, if you're some super fatass like myself (in the 400s), then sixty pounds in five months is fairly achievable just by counting calories and staying on target with a halfway decent nutritional gameplan.

Folks who have less weight to lose will find it harder to lose large amounts of it as quickly as those of us who have really dug ourselves into a hole.
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options
    Hey guys just joined today. Anyway, I am a former linguist in the US Army and always played sports before that so I always had an active lifestyle and was in really good shape, but that same active lifestyle masked my bad eating habits because I was always doing PT for the Army or playing sports in my downtime. Well a little over a year ago I injured my knee and got medically discharged at the age of 21 (almost 22.) So then I couldnt carry on an active lifestyle because my knee but I was still eating garbage. Now 60 pounds and a 100% knee later im coming to you guys for advice...I want to lose ideally, 60 pounds in 3-4 maybe 5 months. I know how to exercise but need to know how to eat healthier and keep a diet going. A few exercise tips wouldnt hurt either. Thanks!

If you were in deployment shape and then gained your sixty pounds (so, say you're up around the 240-260 range), then getting rid of it in three to five months is going to be a lot of exceptionally hard work and discipline.

Now, if you're some super fatass like myself (in the 400s), then sixty pounds in five months is fairly achievable just by counting calories and staying on target with a halfway decent nutritional gameplan.

Folks who have less weight to lose will find it harder to lose large amounts of it as quickly as those of us who have really dug ourselves into a hole.

I was in deployment shape before the 60 lbs.....i do appreciate everyones help but is 2 pounds per week really the maximum healthy limit? Is 3 a week outta the question
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You're a pretty big guy -- plus an active young guy -- so 1,200 sounds low.
    That's what I diet at, and I'm a petite 5'1" woman who is exercising less than you.

First of all, even I'm losing at 1,200 -- so you definitely don't need to go that low.

I have a guy friend who put himself on basically a starvation diet. Yes, he lost a bunch of weight fast, but he looked awful -- weak, exhausted, pale. I have no idea why he did it. He got "skinny fat" -- like thin arms and legs, but still a small pot belly.

You'll want to cut out obvious junk food -- fried stuff, sugary stuff, too many carbs -- and control portions. But you don't want to starve. It's unpleasant and you will lose muscle.

I'm sure if you lost 40 or 50 lbs by summer, and had a decent amount of muscle / definition, it would still be a great achievement and you'd still be thrilled.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I was in deployment shape before the 60 lbs.....i do appreciate everyones help but is 2 pounds per week really the maximum healthy limit? Is 3 a week outta the question

It's not the loss amount that determines what is health but the minimum nutrition and time to recovery. And learning good habits so it stays off.

Again, you can lose 60 in 5-6 months. Make sure you keep muscle mass and learn great healthy habits. That is what it's about.
  • ClutchCity1434
    Options
    Well this is my diet on a daily basis (varies) Breakfast: Banana, Dry Toast and a hardboiled egg. Lunch: Pan seared Salmon fillet (or grilled chicken) with steamed broccoli and carrots. Dinner: Whatever I didnt have for lunch plus the veggies. Also have an apple and a spoonful of peanut butter for an afternoon snack. Ive also bumped my calorie intake to 1500
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Look up LOW CARB, HIGH FAT ! That's your best bet, get into ketosis & you'll never be hungry, lose your cravings, and feel awesome !!!! Worth taking a look. I'm 45, tried a lot of diets, it's the best thing I've ever come across as far as not feeling deprived ! Bacon, macadamia nuts, almonds, coconut, meat, salad with full fat dressing. Yummy !

There are no "best bets" that fits everyone. While this might work for you I would go absolutely nuts.

I erased the rest of my post...I was borderline ranting.

If you have found what works for you as an individual and makes you successful at not only losing the weight but keeping it off then congratulations for getting there.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to lose 50 lbs, which is about average I think :) there are fad diets that will promise drastic results fast... but they tend not to last so why waste the time and money if you will gain it back? I say you CAN lose the weight but just aim for 2 lbs a week and if you lose more, bonus! :) If you don't lose more than 2 lbs/wk, well welcome to the club lol :P When those 2 lbs add up, it's awesome! Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice. I didnt plan on doing any fad diets...my plan is to take in 1200-1500 calories a day, run 1.5 to 3 miles four time a week with interval training in between. Just good old fashoined hard work is all.

Good luck on that workout on 1,200 calories. Way to low for a guy

I agree with this. I am a female and tried the 1200 cal (net) diet for about 2 months and although I lost weight I found myself physically exhausted and had no energy to do my daily routine! Then last yr around January I did some research, increased to 1700 cal (plus exercise calories) and I continued to lose 2 lbs/wk, but had way more energy and wasn't as cranky. An average male only eating 1200-1500 calories a day and running that much? I would recommend eating more :) You don't want to make yourself sick! Remember it's not a race :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Man I really took being fit for granted for my whole life....I definately wont anymore thats for sure.

Been there! lol. It's funny when you wake up one day and go "wait, how much did that say!?"