Restaurant Pet Peeves

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    My #1 is when I hand the server my check and cash and am asked "do you need change?"

How about "I'll be right back with your change," which gives me the option of telling him/her that we're all set.

Why not just ask me if you can keep the change? You're asking for a tip, which is rude.

Disclaimer: I usually tip 20%, but this just sets my teeth on edge.

I don't see this as asking for a tip, just a simple question. At least they asked... one time I had a server who just took the money and never came back even though we did need change.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I really despise when people go cheapskate and think they can leave a bad tip for whatever "reason" they think they can find. Maybe your food was cold because the kitchen had a difficult time keeping it warm while your *kitten* husbands well-done steak cooked. Or maybe your Mtn Dew didn't get filled within 30 seconds of you slugging it down because the new girl bumped into your waiter while he was traying up his other table's dinner and had sloshed sauce into someone else's salad and had to have it remade. Maybe you didn't get your check right away because your server was busy trying to explain to his other table the exact ingredients in an entree and what vegan options his grill house could create. You never know. PS. To those of you complaining that restaurants should increase their food prices so YOU don't have to tip: Right now, it is societally UNACCEPTABLE to not pay someone for their hard-earned service and if you don't like the system, don't go to restaurants with servers. Go protest and write to your congress about a living wage. It is never appropriate to use services and then not pay for them because they are not in line with your beliefs. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out.

When things like this happened, I would get a manager over to the table...quickly, offer a free dessert, whatever I had to do. I have found that customers don't really want to hear excuses about whose fault it was, so the best thing to do is just make them happy since they are paying for the experience as well as the food.
  • nilbogger
    As a server I have plenty.

One horrible one is when the person can't make up their mind on a super busy night when I have 7 other tables to attend to, so I offer to come back and they say "no, ill just order" and still take another minute or so deciding and ask a million questions about each item, when the description is written underneath the food item.. I got to the point where I just tell those people that im really busy, and need to do ___ for another table real quick and ill be right back, and walk away without getting a response. Suprisingly I still get good tips lol

Yes, as a customer I hate overhearing this and I'm always slightly embarassed if its someone at my table. Dude, you'lve been eating food for how long? Do you not know what you like to eat yet?
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Loud cell phone patrons. Unless you're a doctor, put it on vibrate.
    ^^^#2 for me especially sitting next to that person that thinks their conversation is soooooo important that everyone in the restaurant should hear it. I have a hard time restraining myself from telling them just how very rude they are!!!
    My wife got pissed at me for one time getting so upset at a call going on next to us that I joined in the conversation. I said if you are talking loud enough for ALL to hear you MUST want to include us. The *kitten* got up and took his call outside.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Waiting to be seated. Having served in the military i hate waiting in line for anything now.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Loud cell phone patrons. Unless you're a doctor, put it on vibrate.
    ^^^#2 for me especially sitting next to that person that thinks their conversation is soooooo important that everyone in the restaurant should hear it. I have a hard time restraining myself from telling them just how very rude they are!!!
    My wife got pissed at me for one time getting so upset at a call going on next to us that I joined in the conversation. I said if you are talking loud enough for ALL to hear you MUST want to include us. The *kitten* got up and took his call outside.

lol that is hilarious that you joined the conversation.
  • Myhaloslipped
    My #1 is when I hand the server my check and cash and am asked "do you need change?"

How about "I'll be right back with your change," which gives me the option of telling him/her that we're all set.

Why not just ask me if you can keep the change? You're asking for a tip, which is rude.

This is simply a time saver so you don't have to waste time getting change when you could be servicing other tables. Whenever I would ask this, I would do it before I opened the bill and looked at how much was there so I wouldn't seem presumptuous about the tip.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Mine is a little odd. I DISLIKE when the server comes back to check on us after delivering our food and TELLS us it's fine, rather than asking how it is.

I dislike:
    "Everything's good, yes?"

I prefer:
    "How is everything?"
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Tipping.

"I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fcked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fcks in the @ss on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bull**** I got two words for that: learn to fckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fckin' surprise. "
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Being referred to as "you guys."
    I did NOT sprout a weenie.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Oh God, where do I start? As a former restaurant owner (co-owned with my parents) and FOH manager, I have plenty of gripes.

The biggest pet peeve: Poor service- there is no excuse. And by poor, I mean a server who just doesn't give a rats behind. I'm observant and can tell the difference between an excellent server who is busy as all hell versus a noob versus someone who is just lazy and doesn't care. If you don't care about your tip, why should I?

The second biggest pet peeve (and it is related to the first) waiting for another beverage. My husband and I both like to have a few drinks when we're out, and there is no reason to wait with an empty glass; not only do I want to drink, but *you* the server should want that add-on to the check!!! Alcohol = money!!!

Third: Bratty kids- as someone else mentioned, it's understandable that kids will make noise; babies will shriek, toddlers will fuss while waiting for food... it's normal. However, if your child is throwing a temper tantrum, making a royal mess and being obnoxious, you need to remove your child from the situation and calm them down. If that means a parent has to go hang out in the car while others at the table are eating, deal with it. Everyone else, including the staff, should not have to deal with your kid. The other kid thing- when parents let their kids run loose. Your child belongs in their seat- nowhere else, unless you're walking them to the bathroom.

For me, as a customer, it's really all about the service.... Excellent service can cover a multitude of other 'sins'...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Being referred to as "you guys."
    I did NOT sprout a weenie.

This. I always called people ladies or gentlemen. However, one night I was waiting on a couple, and I swear I could not tell if they were male or female for the longest time! I think I went with, "How are you folks doing this evening?" Thank goodness for Southern lingo.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    ... instead of kissing Lord Picky-Pants' behind?

I now have a new phrase and I do intend to use it.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member

This is simply a time saver so you don't have to waste time getting change when you could be servicing other tables. Whenever I would ask this, I would do it before I opened the bill and looked at how much was there so I wouldn't seem presumptuous about the tip.

I always trained my staff to say "I'll be right back with this", regardless. Credit cards are not always visible, some people use large bills or travelers checks... by using this statement, you give the customer the opportunity to tell you the change is yours without being presumptuous. It may or may not register with everyone, but there are many (like the person above) who find it tactless.
  • Loud cell phone patrons. Unless you're a doctor or a nurse manager, put it on vibrate.

I'm a Nurse Manager and on call 24hrs a day, please can I keep mine on???:huh:

Cheerfully amended.
  • Kids running around screaming, how am I supposed to enjoy my burger with egg and bacon on it if kids are screaming and balloons are popping
  • nilbogger
    Another thing that burns my beans.. I clean my plate and the server says something like, "Wow, you didn't like that at all, huh?" I get that he or she is trying to be funny, but you really just made me feel like a fat-a**. Please, just take my plate and bring me the dessert menu because, yes, I do stil have room.
  • nilbogger
    Kids running around screaming, how am I supposed to enjoy my burger with egg and bacon on it if kids are screaming and balloons are popping

Red Robin?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Kids running around screaming, how am I supposed to enjoy my burger with egg and bacon on it if kids are screaming and balloons are popping

I have found that it is usually a good idea to ring the kids food in a little bit ahead of time of the adults' food, especially if they are small children. That way, the kids are happy and settled, and the adults can enjoy their meal by the time it comes out. So many parents have expressed to me how much they appreciate this move.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    I hate when I go on a date with a bad tipper. I know it is emasculating to the guy if he catches me, but I will sneak back and add some extra cash to the tip. I used to serve and bartend, so I feel their pain.

I thought I was the only one lol. I tip on top of guys I'm on a date with if they suck at tipping and I pretty much always have to tip on top of my family. My mom is a firm believer that a dollar is adequate for 4 people. I guess her almost being 70 is part of the reason.