Restaurant Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Where I work, we have 12 booths and around 4-5 tables. One waitress handles the entire dining room. It's hard to take care of 50 people when you're doing it alone. I guess that's why I'm not very critical when I go out to eat.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Loud cell phone patrons. Unless you're a doctor, put it on vibrate.

^^^#2 for me especially sitting next to that person that thinks their conversation is soooooo important that everyone in the restaurant should hear it. I have a hard time restraining myself from telling them just how very rude they are!!!

Simple solution, pick up your phone and answer to their phone conversation. Phone bomb FTW.
  • balletpolegirl
    balletpolegirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Butter that's just come straight out of the fridge so it's too hard to spread on your bread, very annoying!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Servers who are wayyyy too chatty and try to act "cute". Doesn't matter if they're male, female, old, young, etc. I am not interested in being entertained by my server. I don't want to make a lifelong relationship with them. I don't need to learn their children's names and hear long stories about their lives. They can save that for the middle aged traveling salesman who will be charmed by their tales and leave a fatter tip. But my husband (or girlfriends) and I came to share a meal and each other's company...not the server's.

I really don't go to restaurants where this is an issue...worst offenders seem to be chain American restaurants like Applebees, Chili's, etc. Which I never eat in, for a number of reasons. But I still hate it.

FTR I am generally a very friendly and chatty person. I don't mind small talk. But I don't want to hear all about Bekah's economics class and get 14 stories about hijinx in the kitchen while they were making our tilapia. Thxbye
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Group of us went out to celebrate my sisters birthday last weekend. There was about 10 of us there for happy hour. Our waitress was all over the place checking on other tables but seemed to be avoiding us. We sat with empty glasses trying to wave her down the whole damn time. Then when someone got her attention she would take that one order and take off again without letting anyone else put in an order. I know you have other tables but a quick check in is always nice. We weren't there to not have conversation and watch the waitress the whole time.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As a person who got through college waitressing, I am really picky about Bad service, obviously. Cold food. Not getting my order right and not returning within a few minutes to see if everything is alright. My drink being left empty too long (and I drink water - no reason for it. Bring me a damn pitcher then if you are too busy). That being said, if I have good service I am a really good tipper because it is NOT an easy job!

As a patron - Watching the way some people eat really grosses me out. Shoveling it in, chewing with their mouth open...gross. It's like watching someone poop in reverse. :noway:

And people who eat and scrape their teeth on the the fork. It's ALL I can hear when someone is doing that - like finger nails on a chalk board. I can't stand it.

" It's like watching someone poop in reverse."
    SUCH a gross visual and LMAO all at the same time!!
  • kballard66
    Options
    Horrible service, cold food, people using cell phones loudly, and screaming, bratty children. If the host/hostess tries to sit us near children I ask them to seat us elsewhere because you never know.
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is a restaurant that lists an entree/meal on their menu as "Heart Healthy" only to discover they still use trans fats in it.

Happened to me at the "Cotton Patch" restaurant. Their rice is processed or preserved with something that causes it to have trans fat.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people act like they're the only ones in a restaurant and complain about the servers being so slow and lazy when they clearly are trying to keep 50 people happy at one time. Or when patrons chew the server out because their food isn't right. The saying "Don't shoot the messenger," applies here. Servers, you rock! Unless you really are slow and lazy. But honestly, I haven't seen many of those kinds. Maybe I'm just sheltered. Or maybe people just need to be more patient or cook their own meals at home. Give the servers a break!!
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I usually tip real well, I can't remember the last time I had a bad server, maybe because I've just had good luck. Most of the time if I have a bad experience at a restaurant it has nothing to do with the servers.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Don't expect fine dining treatment at chain restaurants.

Yup! B****, please, don't act like you're a big deal because you scraped up enough money for a Bloomin' Onion and a 6-ounce sirloin.

A fellow previous Outbacker? lol, me too.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Yup! B****, please, don't act like you're a big deal because you scraped up enough money for a Bloomin' Onion and a 6-ounce sirloin.

HUZZAH. Outback!!! :D Hey fellow 'aussie' :p
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

HUZZAH. Outback!!! :D Hey fellow 'aussie' :p

:drinker:
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I actually have never worked as a server, but Outback is the type of place where I've encountered annoying customers. it sucks because those squeaky wheels always get the grease so to speak, and I feel as a polite customer who isn't very demanding I get nothing. Oh, well.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

I actually have never worked as a server, but Outback is the type of place where I've encountered annoying customers. it sucks because those squeaky wheels always get the grease so to speak, and I feel as a polite customer who isn't very demanding I get nothing. Oh, well.

When I was working there, a guy asked if I could bring out the meat rack so that he could pick out his steak from our selection. lolwut?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Where I work, we have 12 booths and around 4-5 tables. One waitress handles the entire dining room. It's hard to take care of 50 people when you're doing it alone. I guess that's why I'm not very critical when I go out to eat.

Then your mgmt is doing it wrong. Customer service is key, and even the best servers can only properly take care of so many people at once. While it's not you, the server's fault, the customer shouldn't have to suffer.

After having owned a restaurant and managed a staff of eight servers (we were a small, family restaurant in a ski/resort town) I am more particular and critical when I am out. Very often, more blame lies with the managment than the server.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    -water not getting refilled- fastest way to lose a tip with me.
    -plates not being served within a reasonable time of each other at the same table.
    -too damn cold- I know restaurants sell more hot drinks and desserts and apps keeping the temperature freezing cold, but shivering is just not my idea of a good time.

On a humorous note, I was with friends at a restaurant in a hotel and the server was very friendly and efficient, the bus boy however had something else going on altogether. He would refill the waters and slam down our cups, we did awkward sideways glances at each other and murmured when he left thinking he was just having a rough night. We carried on with our conversation having a really good time and forgetting about him. Not too long later, he came back and started getting in our faces, "I know you're talking and laughing at me. Let's take this outside and I'll show you what's up!".

:noway:
    For real.
    The server heard and got the manager. He got fired on the spot. Said he'd be waiting in the parking lot for us..... OMG. Off the deep end, for sure. Oh- and our meal was comp'd.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    -water not getting refilled- fastest way to lose a tip with me.
    -plates not being served within a reasonable time of each other at the same table.
    -too damn cold- I know restaurants sell more hot drinks and desserts and apps keeping the temperature freezing cold, but shivering is just not my idea of a good time.

On a humorous note, I was with friends at a restaurant in a hotel and the server was very friendly and efficient, the bus boy however had something else going on altogether. He would refill the waters and slam down our cups, we did awkward sideways glances at each other and murmured when he left thinking he was just having a rough night. We carried on with our conversation having a really good time and forgetting about him. Not too long later, he came back and started getting in our faces, "I know you're talking and laughing at me. Let's take this outside and I'll show you what's up!".

:noway:
    For real.
    The server heard and got the manager. He got fired on the spot. Said he'd be waiting in the parking lot for us..... OMG. Off the deep end, for sure. Oh- and our meal was comp'd.

:noway: :embarassed: :flowerforyou: I'm sorry!! We're not all like that!!!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    biggest one..and its happened a couple times...if i should run into the staff in the bathroom and they do not wash their hands!!! wont be eating there again.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Unsupervised children. I get if I am going to Red Robin or something it is going to be a different environment then a nice restaurant. But still, watch your kids and keep them in check. I once had a kid launch their filthy toy car across a room and have it knock over my drink and the parents did nothing.

People on their cell phones. If your phone call is that important step outside for a moment.

Bad tippers.