Exercise is not helping my depression

Options
Exercise is supposed to be some great anti depressant. But I'm taking an actual antidepressant in addition to exercising at least once per day, and it's not helping. I'm losing my motivation, I just want to sleep all the time. Anyone else been through this?
I feel good right after my workout, but it doesn't last long.

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't want to comment on the depression side of things since I am not a doctor but if you feel better after your work outs you will just have to try to make that first step to work out.

It will be hard, but if you keep it up and it becomes a habit and then not so hard, then a lot better.

One reason you may be tired all the time is you are not getting enough calories, or enough of the right calories. (just a suggestion)

Keep going,
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you doing? Maybe you need to find something you enjoy more so you look forward to it more. Also set goals and a progression so you can be meeting goals and feeling yourself improve and give you something to accomplish and then to feel proud about. Hope that helps :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How long have you been exercises and what have you been doing?

How much are you eating?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Go back to the doctors and either up the anti-ds or try a new one, its not one size fits all. Thats assuming you've been on them long enough to give them a chance :)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's not really an issue of not enjoying my workouts or not wanting to work out. I felt great that first week, and I absolutely love spin class. I can tell I'm just truly depressed, and I don't understand why the exercise isn't helping the way everyone, including my doctor, says it's supposed to.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Maybe you will need a new med or a 2nd one? Also, it might be good to have some blood work done. There are other things that can affect your mood like Thyroid problems and other things I know of too but aren't coming to mind at the moment.
  • DirrtyH
    Options

How much are you eating?
    \

For about 3 weeks. I've been going to a crossfit style class before work, and then after work I either go to spin, which I love, or I hit the treadmill and do some kind of circuit after. I'm not able to do two-a-days all the time, but 2 or 3 times a week I do. I felt awesome the first week, but the last two weeks have been sucky and just keep getting progressively worse.

I'm confused about the food thing. Some days I'm getting around 8 or 900 calories, but then again I'm also sleeping a lot on thsoe days. Other days I'll hit 1500 or more. But everyone in the forums is always going on and on about how everyone's probably eating way more than think they are, so I don't even know. I'm not super diligent about weighing things.
  • SophieA9083
    Options
    Nothing is a quick fix, if you are loving spin class then great, I can't imagine ever having the energy or motivation to do that so well done you!

Be persistent about it, try cutting out caffeine and that includes chocolate, I found it effects my mood quite a lot. There are lots of videos to follow on youtube for example that have yoga or pilates which help you to relax, this past week I have been very stressed and anxious about things and they have really helped me to relax and be more positive.

Relish in the fact you are doing well, you have acknowledged you are depressed so you can and are doing something about it which is more than a lot of people are, you can survive a spin class and it might be worth chatting with the doctors to find another med to help make it easier to recognise the good days etc.

I am no Doctor but can easily fall into being depressed so I can empathise with you. xxxxxx

STICK AT IT!!!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It probably is. It may be the anti depressants aren't doing their job. I can't really give a lot of advice besides see your Dr. and talk to them about your feelings.
  • SophieA9083
    Options

How much are you eating?
    \

For about 3 weeks. I've been going to a crossfit style class before work, and then after work I either go to spin, which I love, or I hit the treadmill and do some kind of circuit after. I'm not able to do two-a-days all the time, but 2 or 3 times a week I do. I felt awesome the first week, but the last two weeks have been sucky and just keep getting progressively worse.

I'm confused about the food thing. Some days I'm getting around 8 or 900 calories, but then again I'm also sleeping a lot on thsoe days. Other days I'll hit 1500 or more. But everyone in the forums is always going on and on about how everyone's probably eating way more than think they are, so I don't even know. I'm not super diligent about weighing things.

Eat at least half of what you burn off in exercise if you can is probably what everyone is now going to say!
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    If you are super diligent on weighing things and you are only eating 800-900 on some days, even if you are in bed thats not enough. Problem is i'm sure theres nothing you care about doing less on those days than getting out of bed and feeding youself, but if you force yourself to do it you will feel better in the long run.
  • margueta562
    margueta562 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Change your negative thoughts. It sounds cliche but it works. The outside is a reflection of the inside.If your overweight that means your body/mind is out of balance. Meditate on the positive and you'll see the difference. CBT therapy helped me get off the meds and down to a size 8 along with meditation.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this has been helpful.
    I'm going to keep doing my thing, try to make sure I'm not starving myself, and if I don't feel better in a week or so I'm going to call my doctor. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Have you been formally diagnosed as having clinical depression, and prescribed medication?
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    Have you been formally diagnosed as having clinical depression, and prescribed medication?

Yeah, I've taken anti-depressants on and off since I was 16. My problem was always that I struggled to take them consistently. I went to the doctor a few months ago because I hadn't been in in awhile, and the doctor helped me figure out a strategy for taking them regularly, and then we also increased my dosage and I was doing really well for a few months, but then crashed again a couple of weeks ago. I really don't want the issue to be that I'm going to need to shake up my meds every couple of months for the rest of my life, but it's kind of looking that way.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Don't forget, even if the meds have you stable in general, sometimes you will have down periods, just they shouldn't be all the time like before, and hopefully not as bad, you just have to use your strategies to get through them.
    Hell even people without depression can have their ups and downs.
    Hope things are going better for you soon :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could try exercising for longer, at lower intensity. Like a 2 hour hike instead of a 1 hour run.
  • cowinapartyhat
    cowinapartyhat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone who has always dealt with depression, I completely understand where you are coming from. I recently had the same problem. I tried exercising as a natural depressant. It would help for a while, but didn't quite make things better.
    You may want to seek counselling. Depressants can help, yes, but talking it out with a professional is the best help you can get. Sometime's it's scary to seek help like that, and with depression I know I always tended to think that others wouldn't have the time for me, wouldn't care, or couldn't help me. However, that is most certainly not the case.
    As for finding an exercise that helps to tamper your depression a bit, in my case I've found that dancing really elevates my mood. Turbo Jam (a Beachbody workout) is a lot of fun. My friend has it and I borrow it occasionally when I'm feeling down. It's a wonderful workout and a lot of fun.
    Work out with friends. If I work out alone, I find that my thoughts return easily to dark places. If I have friends around me, I focus more on the workout and on having fun. If you work out in the morning with friends, your mood should elevate throughout the day.
    Also drink plenty of water and eat plenty of food. I've found that being a little bit dehydrated or not eating enough can seriously devastate my mood. Also, eating and drinking the wrong sorts of things can do the same thing.
    On that same note, consuming the right amount of nutrients will help SOOOOO much. Now, I am no Beachbody coach or anything, but I'm a total advocate of the programs and of Shakeology. I take a Shakeology every morning because it just makes me feel amazing all throughout the day. It just fulfills some of my body's needs.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you, though, is to take care of yourself. Go to sleep at a regular time if you can. Eat right, drink plenty of water. Exercise, but do the things that make you happy. There are a lot of different exercises you can do. If it depresses you, don't do it. But do make sure to get your exercise. Maybe take a dog for a walk. Animals are great therapists ;)
    And reach out. You are worth it. That nasty little monster depression tells you that you aren't, but trust me; you are. Make the conscious effort to take care of yourself. Reward yourself for the numerous wonderful little things you accomplish. And don't punish yourself if something goes wrong.

If ever you need to talk, feel free to send me a message. I log on every day to track my calories and I love getting messages :)
  • tumbleral
    Options
    Try working out with a friend. I find the social part of exercise makes it more fun. Go for coffee afterwards.:flowerforyou:
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    From here, it actually sounds like you might be bi-polar. That could be the missing peice of the puzzle. At least it was for me.

There is so much more that goes into emotional health then eating and exercise. Remember that this forum is for eating and exercise, so, metaphorically, we may be looking at every problem as a nail because we only have a hammer.

Message me if you would like to know more about how I dealt with my own depression and other emotional issues.

Hugs!