Exercise is not helping my depression

Options

Replies

• EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My antidepressant alone wasn't enough for me and we had good results by adding in a mood stabilizer (Wellbutrin and Lexapro combo). This was after we had ruled out type 2 bipolar. I also second the suggestion of meeting with a therapist. You may want to keep a diary of sorts with what you eat, when you exercise, and when you have mood changes. This could help narrow down what may be causing it.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Umm, people? I think only one person's mentioned eating enough...800-900 calories (unless OP is tiny and/or has a metabolic disorder) is crazily low.

OP, please please please do (or re-do) your calorie calculations - this is a fairly well-respected one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm not trying to minimize the depression issue (been there!), but I think others have covered that ground just fine. So I'm gonna focus on just how crappy UNDEReating can make you feel. Please fuel yourself. It's important for all of you - including that brain of yours!

Best wishes for your success on all fronts.

P.S. One last link, which is an MFP classic as well as being super-encouraging (imho even if you're just wanting to maintain). Because hey, happy reading is good!:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know that there are lots of natural things that can work against depression, but none of those things will be THE answer that fixes it all, unfortunately. Depression is a lying, sneaky, devious monster and everyone's is different. It is almost impossible for someone who has not experienced depression to understand that you can't just change your negative thoughts.

It sounds like exercise is helping, but only when you do it first. Getting the motivation to do it is the hard part. That's the catch 22 with depression.

I wish I knew any answers that would help you (and those I know personally suffering with depression). I can only say:
    You CAN get through this.
    You ARE worth it.
    You DO matter.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    when was the last time you got a full physical You could be lacking in Vit D, or have some other issue causing the depression
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and anxiety as well. how long have you been working out? My advice would be to stick with it and see if things improve. The first few days you won't necessarily feel the effects, but eventually if you're putting in the effort and doing something you enjoy, you will get a nice boost from it. Mind you, it doesn't make miracles and you still need to find ways to motivate yourself to stay awake and active, but it will give you a little more energy. Also, talk to your doctor about maybe adjusting your medication, upping the dosage can help with your energy a bit. Feel free to add me so we can discuss this more, I know exactly what you're going through and you CAN get through it! :)
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Umm, people? I think only one person's mentioned eating enough...800-900 calories (unless OP is tiny and/or has a metabolic disorder) is crazily low.

OP, please please please do (or re-do) your calorie calculations - this is a fairly well-respected one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm not trying to minimize the depression issue (been there!), but I think others have covered that ground just fine. So I'm gonna focus on just how crappy UNDEReating can make you feel. Please fuel yourself. It's important for all of you - including that brain of yours!

Best wishes for your success on all fronts.

P.S. One last link, which is an MFP classic as well as being super-encouraging (imho even if you're just wanting to maintain). Because hey, happy reading is good!:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes. I have read that eating a healthy diet can also help with the battle against depression. It may not be THE answer, but it is something that is good for you anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to be sure to eat right.

Copied and pasted from some site:

Don’t skip meals. Going too long between meals can make you feel irritable and tired, so aim to eat something at least every three to four hours.

Minimize sugar and refined carbs. You may crave sugary snacks, baked goods, or comfort foods such as pasta or French fries, but these “feel-good” foods quickly lead to a crash in mood and energy.

Focus on complex carbohydrates. Foods such as baked potatoes, whole-wheat pasta, oatmeal, and whole grain breads can boost serotonin levels without a crash.

Boost your B vitamins. Deficiencies in B vitamins such as folic acid and B-12 can trigger depression. To get more, take a B-complex vitamin supplement or eat more citrus fruit, leafy greens, beans, chicken, and eggs.

Try super-foods rich in nutrients that can boost mood, such as bananas (magnesium to decrease anxiety, vitamin B6 to promote alertness, tryptophan to boost feel-good serotonin levels), brown rice (serotonin, thiamine to support sociability), and spinach (magnesium, folate to reduce agitation and improve sleep).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Personal anecdotes and 'just cheer up' encouragement are very rarely useful tools to battle actual, diagnosed clinical depression. If your meds and routine aren't working for you, your doctor needs to help you find something that does.

I wish you the very best of luck in beating it.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's just depression and not something more? Vitamin/mineral deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, and medical issues can cause lethargy, fatigue, and a "down" state. Did your doctor do any blood work before prescribing the meds?
  • ProactiveElder
    ProactiveElder Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're doing so well on the exercise--keep it up. I would also encourage you to seek counseling. You might also find meditation helpful. I hope you're getting a good night's sleep--7 to 8 hours--and waking feeling rested. I agree--if you haven't had your thyroid & Vitamin D checked lately, you might consider that too. Hope you find some things that work for you!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I started exercise in a big way in Sept 2013 and I stopped my anti-depressant (mainly cause it was causing weight gain) and I find I do not need it at all anymore. I was on it for probably over 20 years .. so not some short term thing.

But .. have insomnia issues since stopping the anti-depressant .. so dealing with that right now. But the exercise has really really helped.

I would see your doctor .. and eat more. Lots of fruits and veggies will do you good.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the support.

And I think all of you are right. I don't think my nutrition is very good and I think that's at least part of what's dragging me down. It's a shift in thinking for me to think I need to eat more, I always had a problem with overeating, and now I really struggle to force myself to eat anything unless I'm starving.

I also think I'm probably going to need a medication shift, I'm thinking about talking to the doctor about adding a companion drug. And you're right, I haven't had blood work done in years so it might not be a bad idea.

I wish counseling was an option. My health insurance doesn't kick in until March and even then I'm not sure it will cover psychological health...

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    2k57yo.jpg

Bacon will help.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Change your negative thoughts. It sounds cliche but it works.

A statement generally seen as completely unhelpful, if not counterproductive.
    The outside is a reflection of the inside.If your overweight that means your body/mind is out of balance. Meditate on the positive and you'll see the difference. CBT therapy helped me get off the meds and down to a size 8 along with meditation.

I would agree that meditation can help, but for someone already under pharmaceutical treatment it's complementary once that pharma is having an effect.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It's not really an issue of not enjoying my workouts or not wanting to work out. I felt great that first week, and I absolutely love spin class. I can tell I'm just truly depressed, and I don't understand why the exercise isn't helping the way everyone, including my doctor, says it's supposed to.
    A re you sure it is depresion and not something else? Do you have a lot of stress ? ADHD, ADD? Need a change in career? Depresion is commonly misdiagnosed and maybe the drug is not working.YCan msg me if you want I have ADHD and there are mental health issues in our house.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that since exercise changes the chemical balance in your brain, Your old prescription that was working for the old chemical makeup in your brain is no longer working. you may simply need a new prescription. exercise does work on depression for people with moderate depression. but if you're dealing with a slightly more severe form or will bipolar issues then you will need more than exercise alone. You'll get there as long as you keep trying to find what works for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    And I think all of you are right. I don't think my nutrition is very good and I think that's at least part of what's dragging me down. It's a shift in thinking for me to think I need to eat more, I always had a problem with overeating, and now I really struggle to force myself to eat anything unless I'm starving.

From the whole discussion it sounds like there are a number of aspects here, only some of which the advice here can help with. I get the impression that your history makes this quite challenging to understand.

My own experience with exercise and depression varied acording to where I was in the cycle. Early on I was recognising that I was feeling down and trying to exercise to help, I ended up chronically overtraining, so it had a coutner-productive efect and ended up driving me downhill. It doesn't sound like the level of exercise that you're doing is comparable to that.

Once I was on meds that helped lift my mood, and I eased back on the exercise, it started to have a more positive effect.

What I have found has been that exercise is something that I didn't do when I started to go downhill again. So it's something I need to focus on.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've fought with depression since I was a teenager, and in my experience, exercise for depression is like using jumper cables on a car. If you're mildly depressed, exercise might be one of the things that helps, and it keeps my mood stable. But when I'm really in trouble, it's like trying to jump-start a car that has no gas in the tank, and the brake line is cut, and the starter's down and the timing belt is broken and there's no oil in the engine. You can jump that car all you want, but there are a lot of other things that need to be looked at before it's going to start and run smoothly.

Long story short, I'd talk to your doctor. And if at all possible, I'd see if you can get a therapist or counselor involved. Maybe try googling "low-cost counseling" in your area, or looking on the websites of local hospitals or universities to see if they offer low cost or sliding scale alternatives. Just a few sessions could be really helpful.

I'll also add in that after years of falling into a pit in the winter, I bought a SAD light this year and I've found it to be an excellent support.

Best of luck!
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've fought with depression since I was a teenager, and in my experience, exercise for depression is like using jumper cables on a car. If you're mildly depressed, exercise might be one of the things that helps, and it keeps my mood stable. But when I'm really in trouble, it's like trying to jump-start a car that has no gas in the tank, and the brake line is cut, and the starter's down and the timing belt is broken and there's no oil in the engine. You can jump that car all you want, but there are a lot of other things that need to be looked at before it's going to start and run smoothly.

^^This basically, OP. I've been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, mild agoraphobia, and Dysthymia, which is chronic depression. Usually exercise is enough to stabilize my mood, but because I also get episodes of major depression and suffer from SAD it's not always enough. Hence why I go up and down in weight so much. If the exercise isn't working then you definitely need to look at other alternatives in addition to that. Sometimes something as simple as taking a multi-vitamin or iron pills can help to some extent (if you suffer from a deficiency). A friend of mine swears by Omega-3 fish oil capsules.

You mentioned above that you need to eat better and I can't agree with you more. In the past it has certainly helped me. Have you ever tried juicing? It's something my psychotherapist recommended to me and I found that both my mood and my energy levels increased a lot when I used to juice (about 5x a week, though always as a snack and never as a meal substitute. Equal amounts of vegetables/fruit worked). I was feeling the best I'd felt in years when I was exercising, juicing, and eating healthy...up until winter started and the SAD hit, anyway. But enough about that.

If you're not already seeing a therapist then I recommend you do. Sometimes just being able to talk about things with someone helps.

And definitely talk to your doctor about your medication not working. Anti-depressants are very hit or miss. He might be able to find you something that works.

I wish you the best of luck and health. Keep up the amazing work, OP. Never forget that you are strong and that you are more than capable of overcoming this.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if there are chemical or physical causes for your depression then i can't see how working out would help
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    if there are chemical or physical causes for your depression then i can't see how working out would help

Endorphins. However, I do believe it only really helps if you suffer from mild/moderate depression. If you're clinically depressed to the extent that you can't even get out of bed or eat then I doubt it's going to be very effective.

Still, in conjunction with the right medication and a well-balanced, nutritiously sound diet (and leaving out physical causes like vitamin deficiencies), plus therapy...well, I'm sure it's bound to do more good than harm.