To all the anti-low-carb folks, tell me this isn't healthy

Options
Not only healthy but delicious, filling, and an effective way to lose weight.

Breakfast - 3 egg omelet with spinach and green peppers
Morning snack - 23 almonds (1 oz)
Lunch - 6 oz roast salmon, large romain and tomato salad with 3 tbsp caesars dressing
Afternoon snack - 2 slices salami and 1 oz cheddar cheese
Dinner - 2 roasted chicken thighs with skin, 1 cup roasted cauliflower and 1 cup roasted broccoli with olive oil and parmesan
Desert - 1/2 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 2 squares of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

Calories - 2000 Net carbs 28g, Protein 111g, Fat 154g

If you are smaller than I am (200 lbs) and need less calories, make it a 2-egg omelet, 4oz salmon, 1 chicken thigh, a little less veg/salad dressing and you can easily get under 1500. To get to around 1300 cut out a snack or desert

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i dont think we are ANTI LOW CARB, as much as most of us dont like these methods being shoved down our throats as some do on these forums... many posts try to convince new comers that this is the only way to lose weight, and since it is very restrivtive, its hard to follow long term, setting many people up for failure in maintenance. moderation is the key to long term weight loss maintenance... being able to have a slice of cake instead of the whole thing at your childs birthday is the goal to maintenance, in stead of running from the room avoiding the evil cake carbs...
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs and eat at a calorie deficit and eat healthy and lose weight. I don't think anyone says you can't eat healthy foods on low-carb..
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That sounds absolutely delicious
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…to see where this goes…

OP - no one ever said low carb is not healthy, at least I have not, the main critique is that is is not some magical fat loss secret, it is not sustainable, and it is idiotic to label food as "bad" or "evil"

I am glad that works for you …I would be starving and have about zero gym performance with that day...
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok come come to my house and cook ! I was sold at the ceasear dressing and cliched at the salami.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    i dont think we are ANTI LOW CARB, as much as most of us dont like these methods being shoved down our throats as some do on these forums... many posts try to convince new comers that this is the only way to lose weight, and since it is very restrivtive, its hard to follow long term, setting many people up for failure in maintenance. moderation is the key to long term weight loss maintenance... being able to have a slice of cake instead of the whole thing at your childs birthday is the goal to maintenance, in stead of running from the room avoiding the evil cake carbs...

THIS! My thoughts exactly.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It is hard to read this over the bowl of cereal I am eating...

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot of good bakeries. And real sweet cream butter...ahhh....

:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have seen a person or two say that low carb isn't healthy.

But the vast majority of people, myself included, say that low-carb isn't necessary for the vast majority of people.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot go good bakeries

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I will see your day and raise mine..

Breakfast

four eggs
    two egg whites
    shredded mexican cheese half serving
    1tsp olive oil
    two strips bacon
    cinnamon raisin bagel

lunch
    8.25 ounce chicken breast with franks red hot buffalo sauce
    kraft american cheese
    arnold whole wheat bread
    cottage cheese (1 serving)
    greek yogurt (1 serving)

dinner
    15.5 ounces flank steak
    roasted potatoes 300 grams in olive oil, rosemary, and diced onion

dessert
    1 serving talenti belgium chocolate gelato …

2750 calories
    40p/30c/30f
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that carbohydrates are brain fuel. I could be wrong, though.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

But the vast majority of people, myself included, say that low-carb isn't necessary for the vast majority of people.

well, in some aspects, its not healthy, but that can be said for any eating plan, but the majority of us just dont feel the need to deprive ourself! and yes, no matter how much you deny it, your deprived when eating low carb... at some point, everyone wants a cookie, a poptart, a slice of cake... its just not ideal for long term maintenance...
  • ndj1979
    Options

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot go good bakeries

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

cafe dumond in new orleans…boom awesome beignets!!!!!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty tasty. I don't see anything unhealthy about it.

If it suits your life, then great. I'd crave beer, oatmeal, and pizza if I ate like that daily. I eat like that on some days, but I don't do it all the time or even on purpose. Other days I eat all the spaghetti in the house with garlic bread.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

Did you ever try their hot chocolate? They use the powdered sugar in it.

And th chargrilled oysters at acme.....oh food po&n heaven
  • mystico
    mystico Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like low-carb. It looks like high-protein clean foods. You're avoiding processed foods. Many people call it "low-carb" when they start avoiding processed carbs like pasta, breads, white rice, etc. Although I would recommend you eat more veggies and a bit less fat.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

ok, now im going to the bakery tomorrow... i was trying to wait until saturday! :/
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options

The menu listed in my post is about as restrictive as it gets for carbs and it still provides a LOT of food and pretty tasty food at that. I see a lot of comments addressed to obese newcomers that their brain won't be able to function without carbs, that low-carb living is some kind of cult, and that their real problem is they eat too much and are lazy (calories in-calories out). I disagree with those types of comments.

I'm not against moderation - if my kid has a birthday party I'll have a slice of pizza or cake and I'll cut out the snacks for that day (with the diet above it would still be very low carb)

BTW - great job on your weight loss!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

well, in some aspects, its not healthy, but that can be said for any eating plan, but the majority of us just dont feel the need to deprive ourself! and yes, no matter how much you deny it, your deprived when eating low carb... at some point, everyone wants a cookie, a poptart, a slice of cake... its just not ideal for long term maintenance...

True.

I would hate low-carb, because I love all things baked.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I will see your day and raise mine..

Breakfast

four eggs
    two egg whites
    shredded mexican cheese half serving
    1tsp olive oil
    two strips bacon
    cinnamon raisin bagel

lunch
    8.25 ounce chicken breast with franks red hot buffalo sauce
    kraft american cheese
    arnold whole wheat bread
    cottage cheese (1 serving)
    greek yogurt (1 serving)

dinner
    15.5 ounces flank steak
    roasted potatoes 300 grams in olive oil, rosemary, and diced onion

dessert
    1 serving talenti belgium chocolate gelato …

2750 calories
    40p/30c/30f

yep, I'd much prefer that.

THe main reason I don't really like low carb is that I don't enjoy many high fat foods, gym performance is ridiculously bad and I'm always hungry and constipated.

I suppose that is why we all have choices in what method of "dieting" we do. If that works for you then go for it.