To all the anti-low-carb folks, tell me this isn't healthy

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I think the one that works for you and helps you to maintain for life by learning new habits is the right one. For me personally, I eat a lot less fat, even when I am not on the plan I am on now which is low fat, high protein, controlled carb.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Didnt read your post, just following your direction.

It's not healthy.

happy-now.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    There are no cookies. Ergo it is not the diet plan for me.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It is hard to read this over the bowl of cereal I am eating...

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot go good bakeries

:flowerforyou:

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

MMMMMMmmmmmm Regular Napoleon!!!

I didnt know they made chocolate ones! Oh my
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    in…to see where this goes…

OP - no one ever said low carb is not healthy, at least I have not, the main critique is that is is not some magical fat loss secret, it is not sustainable, and it is idiotic to label food as "bad" or "evil"

I am glad that works for you …I would be starving and have about zero gym performance with that day...

fair enough.

I agree that this wouldn't be sufficient for intense cardio or weight training (in that case I would make it a six egg omelet, add a double cheeseburger at lunch and have a half chicken for dinner :) It was sufficient for me to do 45 mins moderate cardio, some pull-ups, dips, squats today.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I dont like this thread, it managed to make me slightly full to slightly hungry in an instant

mmmm potatoes and steak
    :love:
  • TomfromNY
    Options

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot of good bakeries. And real sweet cream butter...ahhh....

my wife and I used to eat a baguette with a roll of goat cheese for an appetizer before dinner (plus a lot of wine). Unfortunately it made me fat and gave me high cholesterol / blood pressure (not her - she must have good genes) Eating low carb allows me to enjoy food and be healthier
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot of good bakeries. And real sweet cream butter...ahhh....

my wife and I used to eat a baguette with a roll of goat cheese for an appetizer before dinner (plus a lot of wine). Unfortunately it made me fat and gave me high cholesterol / blood pressure (not her - she must have good genes) Eating low carb allows me to enjoy food and be healthier

if it works for you more power to you ..

I will just say this…eating the baguette is not what you fat…eating calories over maintenance made you fat…

You could still enjoy the ocassional baguette and goat cheese and lose weight…

I eat 30% carbs a day ...
  • TomfromNY
    Options
    I have seen a person or two say that low carb isn't healthy.

But the vast majority of people, myself included, say that low-carb isn't necessary for the vast majority of people.

Agree that's it not necessary for majority of people. However, the vast majority of the 70million obese Americans are insulin resistant. And I think a low carb diet is the most effective way to treat their insulin resistance, and as a result they will find it easier to lose weight.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    In! Going to cook some asada tacos really quick so will be right back to see where this goes.....
  • HungerHurts
    Options
    Looks boring to me
  • TomfromNY
    Options
    I will see your day and raise mine..

Breakfast

four eggs
    two egg whites
    shredded mexican cheese half serving
    1tsp olive oil
    two strips bacon
    cinnamon raisin bagel

lunch
    8.25 ounce chicken breast with franks red hot buffalo sauce
    kraft american cheese
    arnold whole wheat bread
    cottage cheese (1 serving)
    greek yogurt (1 serving)

dinner
    15.5 ounces flank steak
    roasted potatoes 300 grams in olive oil, rosemary, and diced onion

dessert
    1 serving talenti belgium chocolate gelato …

2750 calories
    40p/30c/30f

Looks delicious (I can almost smell the roast potatoes :)

Even though you are eating a lot of food, you probably eat fewer carbs than most Americans and burn a lot immediately with all of your exercise.

And what about the veggies?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    For me, it would affect performance.

I seem to do best around a 50/25/25 ratio.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That first daily menu was missing pancakes... maple-syrupy pancakes. Nom Nom Nom...

But seriously OP, good for you!! You found what works for you. This thread was unnecessary. Gonna go have dinner now.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd be broke on low-carb, so that's my main issue with it. =] Whole grains are cheap and healthy.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I will see your day and raise mine..

Breakfast

four eggs
    two egg whites
    shredded mexican cheese half serving
    1tsp olive oil
    two strips bacon
    cinnamon raisin bagel

lunch
    8.25 ounce chicken breast with franks red hot buffalo sauce
    kraft american cheese
    arnold whole wheat bread
    cottage cheese (1 serving)
    greek yogurt (1 serving)

dinner
    15.5 ounces flank steak
    roasted potatoes 300 grams in olive oil, rosemary, and diced onion

dessert
    1 serving talenti belgium chocolate gelato …

2750 calories
    40p/30c/30f

Looks delicious (I can almost smell the roast potatoes :)

Even though you are eating a lot of food, you probably eat fewer carbs than most Americans and burn a lot immediately with all of your exercise.

And what about the veggies?

I have been eating veggies and rice the past three nights….I wanted roasted potatoes with my flank steak…

yes, today was a work out day and I typically eat more on a work out day ..I still hit 30% carbs on non work out days too
  • TomfromNY
    Options
    I was under the impression that carbohydrates are brain fuel. I could be wrong, though.

You're right - your brain can't burn fat or protein (most of your other cells can). So when you go on a diet like I posted, once you exhaust all of your glucose store (1 day to a week) your body starts converting fats into ketones - your brain can fuel itself just as well on ketones as on glucose. So part of the advantage of a low carb diet is that your body converts both dietary fat and stored fat into ketones for your brain - and if you have a lot of stored fat, all of a sudden you have a lot of fuel for your brain and you feel very alert and less hungry.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options

But the vast majority of people, myself included, say that low-carb isn't necessary for the vast majority of people.

Agree that's it not necessary for majority of people. However, the vast majority of the 70million obese Americans are insulin resistant. And I think a low carb diet is the most effective way to treat their insulin resistance, and as a result they will find it easier to lose weight.

The vast majority? Hmm. I think the vast majority are just like me when I was morbidly obese-ate too much and moved too little. I remedied both of those and have lost weight just fine. While eating in a way I can sustain forever-which thankfully includes cakes, cookies and ice cream.

Glad you have found something that works for you-but I'd be starving if I ate your 2k plan. And I'm no super-athlete but I don't recover well on <50% carbs.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that carbohydrates are brain fuel. I could be wrong, though.

Glucose is brain fuel.

The body can generate glucose from protein via gluconeogenesis in the absence of adequate carbohydrates. All vital functions, including the brain, that require glucose will receive it on even the lowest carb programs, or in the total absence of food. The rest of your functions, the majority, are fueled by ketones.
  • TomfromNY
    Options

well, in some aspects, its not healthy, but that can be said for any eating plan, but the majority of us just dont feel the need to deprive ourself! and yes, no matter how much you deny it, your deprived when eating low carb... at some point, everyone wants a cookie, a poptart, a slice of cake... its just not ideal for long term maintenance...

What about the meals above isn't healthy? I don't feel deprived - chocolate and full-fat yogurt? Also, the sample meal above is extremely low-carb - you could probably throw in a pop tart and still be below 75g carbs.