Deadlifts and Overhead press

Options
124»

Replies

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about overhead pressing, as long as it's done with good form. Personally, I tend to stick to dumbbells on shoulder pressing and most of the time for incline/bench pressing as well.

Dead lifts - I most certainly would rather lift the weight from the floor, myself. While stopping short of the ground would keep the tension in the legs, that also results in a (perhaps quite minor) loss of range of motion and I am not a huge fan of touch-and-go on heavier sets, simply because there's a chance you use the momentum generated from the touch to assist the go.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    However, he did say that the overhead press is a dangerous exercise, mainly because it forces your bones into a locked position, which is unnatural, and may lead to rotator cuff injuries; it is really bad for your shoulders. I don't remember his exact words, and I may be waaayyy off regarding what he said, but the main point is that some people may do the overhead press their entire lives and not have any injuries (like Mehdi - creator of Stronglifts), but for others it isn't the same.
    It sounds like someone saying nobody should eat peanuts because some people are allergic to them.

And I don't know how you test for this "allergy". You could have an MRI, but that would not image your shoulder in movement.
    I got an inguinal hernia, so should I now advise everyone in the world to not hold their breath or use a lifting belt to create internal abdominal pressure?

You make a good point. I would, however, advise everyone in their forties to consider the issue and pay attention to posture and form. I know i know... Everyone should do this with all exercises, but Shoulder issues are rather common in people who lift as they get into their late forties. I was very careful with form and posture when I was younger, but I put too much emphasis on pushing and not enough on pulling.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If anyone is having shoulder issues and they are not doing some shoulder mobility work then you should look into it. Here is the one I have been doing for over a year now and have not had any shoulder issues since.

http://youtu.be/VRYmTEN_ZA8
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would consult starting strength.. I have it somewhere I may have to get it out